Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mfln

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2014
Hi!

Longtime reader, first time poster.

I work with live visual arts, and are currently using two Macbook Pro Retina (one as a primary computer, one as a backup) however I´ve been looking at selling one of them and buying a Mac Pro. I would love to get some opinions on this.

After tax deductions, and the sale of the older and well used 1. generation Retina I am looking at about 1000$ dollars extra for the base config Mac Pro. I normally use FCPX and Motion for my editing, in many different resolutions, everything from 1280 x 720 to stranger resolutions like 3000 x 1000 etc. So my editing software benefits from dual gpu´s, however, my live software won´t. Another benefit for me would be able to output to 7 displays simultaneously, as I use a multitude of projectors for my shows.

Since the new Mac Pro is the first version in that form factor, would it make sense to just stick with my laptops until a second version gets released? Do you think its gonna get updated every year? Or will it make more sense to just buy it now?

- Mads

mrsavage1

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2010
Hi!

I work with live visual arts, and are currently using two Macbook Pro Retina (one as a primary computer, one as a backup) however I´ve been looking at selling one of them and buying a Mac Pro. I would love to get some opinions on this.

After tax deductions, and the sale of the older and well used 1. generation Retina I am looking at about 1000$ dollars extra for the base config Mac Pro. I normally use FCPX and Motion for my editing, in many different resolutions, everything from 1280 x 720 to stranger resolutions like 3000 x 1000 etc. So my editing software benefits from dual gpu´s, however, my live software won´t. Another benefit for me would be able to output to 7 displays simultaneously, as I use a multitude of projectors for my shows.

Since the new Mac Pro is the first version in that form factor, would it make sense to just stick with my laptops until a second version gets released? Do you think its gonna get updated every year? Or will it make more sense to just buy it now?

- Mads

If you can wait then wait. If you need 4k now then buy it. This current mac pro is unlikely to have hdmi 2.0 and may not support single panel 4k's when they come out at the end of the year.

Anim

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2011
Macclesfield, UK
Hi!

- Mads

Are you using some other software/hardware to split a single output signal to 7 displays?

I think you can have 3 x 4K displays or 6 x Thunderbolt 1 displays on the nMP but not 7 displays :confused: As for waiting, nobody knows the Apple roadmap when it comes to the Mac Pro, it's quite erratic based on past trends so you could be waiting 12 months or 24 months but nothing is concrete. It sounds like it would make a good editing system for you though.

You could also nip into a shop and play around in FCP X and see for yourself if it would be a worthy purchase right now.

It really boils down to your urgency.

CH12671

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2013
Southern US
Are you using some other software/hardware to split a single output signal to 7 displays?

I think you can have 3 x 4K displays or 6 x Thunderbolt 1 displays on the nMP but not 7 displays :confused: As for waiting, nobody knows the Apple roadmap when it comes to the Mac Pro, it's quite erratic based on past trends so you could be waiting 12 months or 24 months but nothing is concrete. It sounds like it would make a good editing system for you though.

You could also nip into a shop and play around in FCP X and see for yourself if it would be a worthy purchase right now.

It really boils down to your urgency.

Could possibly use USB for a 7th screen, I suppose.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.