Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sandman77

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2013
I have an external USB powered HDD attached directly to a USB3 port on my 2012 mac mini. I never eject this drive as it is used daily and is where my media is stored. It seems that every time my mac goes to sleep and is woken up I get the above error message. It is really annoying because my mac is used purely as a plex server/player and is controlled almost exclusively with a remote control and I need to dig out the Bluetooth mouse to get rid of the error message.

Anyone have any ideas how I can prevent this from happening?

Sandman77

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2013
509 views and nobody has experienced the same issue? I guess the problem is in my setup somewhere.

Oracle9999

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2012
Sandman77 I have the same issue as the one that you described - sadly I couldn't fix it yet.

Sandman77

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2013
I did the SMC reset last night so I will see if I get the message again when I turn the mac on tonight (UK time).
If that doesn't work I will try a different USB cable. The one I am using is a cheap one from amazon. The one supplied with the HDD wasn't long enough to put the HDD far enough away so it doesn't cause interference with my USB wireless dongle (I dont understand why a USB3 HDD would affect this in the first place, but trust me it did).

Sandman77

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2013
No messages today so it looks like resetting the smc may have solved the problem.

Schoey S

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2014
That was my issue and it took me ages because we got so used to just using usb cables that we think its fail proof, I went and bought a new one and it still didnt work, only after i purchased a good quality cable only then it resolved my issue, so the only reason i can think is that between the qualities of cables we can buy there is transfer quality issue, on cheaper cables it is not as good as on quality cable.

JohnColorado

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2011
Uncheck 'Put Hard Disks to Sleep'

I have been having this same problem with a Seagate USB drive.

Have not yet verified if this works for me, but one solution getting some people results is to open System Preferences > Energy Saver, then UNcheck the box that says "Put hard disks to sleep when possible". This needs to be done for both the 'Battery' and 'Power Adapter' modes.

From https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5678720?tstart=0

Good luck.

Reactions: beej69

laracroft123

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2014
Power-down for at least 2 hours

RE: New Mac Pro (late 2013) with LaCie externals: 2x3TB, 1x1TB (USB3), and 2x12TB LaCie 2BIG (each RAID 0 on Thunderbolt 2).

The 12TB drives were behaving perfectly when brand new (about 3 weeks old now). Then, Final Cut Pro with a certain MOTIONVFX.com plug-in occasionally caused my system to crash and reboot automatically. As a result, finder prefs (minimally) got corrupted and I couldn't even dup or delete a file or folder. PLUS, eventually, the 12's would no longer sleep with the computer and then get ejected when the Mac slept for an extended period of time and when the Mac woke up, it produced the dreaded, "DISK NOT EJECTED PROPERLY" message for BOTH 12's.

I tried everything: zapping PRAM, resetting SMC, rebooting, repairing permissions...Nothing worked. LaCie: No help, although they offered to send new Thunderbolt cables.

I had the same drive-not-sleeping problem with my Mac Mini for a while, and that inexplicably went away recently.

Sooooo... Here's how mine got fixed. Hope it works for you...

Last night there was a car accident (somewhere) at 2:45AM and for 2-1/2 hours we had a power outage in the entire area. At 6AM I woke the computer and the drives were once again working perfectly (and not getting improperly ejected).

The one thing I hadn't tried was shutting down the Mac PRO for an extended period (probably the same extended period of simple sleep that caused the ejection). The Mac Mini's drive-sleep problem probably also went away when it was powered down recently for lack of use.

So try it: Power-down for at least 2 hours.

Bluemeanie1976

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2009
Veliko Tarnovo, Bulgaria
I'm having this problem on my late 2010 Air. With a drive attached, (with integral cable), and you close the lid, or it goes to sleep, it will have the 'disk not ejected properly' message when you awaken.

I should not really have to spend 2 bucks on an issue that should be solved by the OS as is.

Aussie Ziggie

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2014
Same Issue re "Failure to Eject Disk Properly" Messages

509 views and nobody has experienced the same issue? I guess the problem is in my setup somewhere.

Hi, Sandman,
Just new to MacRumors so not sure how all this works. I just wanted to reply that I have had the same issue. OS 10.10.1 on new MacBook Air with new Seagate and older WD 1TB external HDs used as alternating backups with Time Machine. After waking Mac up from Sleep I often got those "failure to eject disk properly" messages. Saw a suggestion in a post for a related issue and so went into Energy Saver preferences and unselected "put hard disks to sleep when possible" for both battery and mains modes, Haven't had the issue since.
Cheers,
Aussie Ziggie

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
The Energy Saver workaround will be good for some cases.

Some hardware mixes will be OK with one type of file system, not OK with a different type.

Some types of failure will be more likely where, say, a peripheral USB hub is used.

Some hardware mixes will be good with sleep but fail with safe sleep.

Feedback to Apple; feedback to the drive manufacturer. Wish for, but do not expect, a fix from one or both.

Technical

hdparm on OS X – Server Faultmy answer. If you're lucky, you'll have SpindownHD, but don't expect it to report things perfectly for modern hardware (example attached).

Attachments

• screenshot 2014-12-30 at 01.43.14.png
    screenshot 2014-12-30 at 01.43.14.png
    84.5 KB · Views: 666

Gochugogi

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2013
Sandwich Isles
I too have been suffering the "failure to eject disk properly" warning for a USB drive connected to my 2009 Mac Pro. It actually wakes up from sleep to inform me, sometimes every few minutes!

I restarted and the same. So I used Disk Utility (recovery mode) to repair the drive and permissions and topped it off with the 4-finger salute (Command-shift-PR) at restart and it returned to normal. It's been fine for 24 hours. I don't know which fix worked but it's fine now after many days of that drive warning BS.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
Alerts from Finder

… that drive warning BS.

The shouldn't view those alerts as BS. They effectively prompted you to take appropriate actions … actions that help to reduce the risk of damage to your data.

Incidentally, I don't imagine any type of problem with file permissions contributing to an improper eject of a volume or drive.

Gochugogi

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2013
Sandwich Isles
What's odd is this only happens in Mavericks. I have 10.85 and 10.68 on separate volumes and they have never issued the "drive not properly ejected" warning. I would stick with 10.85 if it weren't for certain apps I need to run.

richsad

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2014
Boston, MA area
Having this problem with Yosemite

I have a MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013 running Yosemite 10.10.1, 2.7 Core i7, 16GB RAM, internal SSD HD. I have an aging Belkin USB hub which a bunch of USB drives. Some I use for Time Machine, others are cloned drives of past machines with files I access occasionally.

Boot rom version: MBP101.00EE.B05
SMC version (system): 2.3f36

I recently set power settings to put the machine to sleep after set period of time even when plugged in. Now every time I wake it up I get one or more "Disk not ejected properly" messages.

I'm certainly open to installing jettison but this seems like a fairly serious issue that should be addressed by the OS. I don't know if I accept bad cables or USB hub since they all function well under any other circumstance.

The drives include a LaCie, WD, iOmega and Maxtor.

richsad

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2014
Boston, MA area
Yes it's USB 2.0

Yes it's a higher end, powered USB 2.0 hub. It's 5 years old. But what puzzles me is this seems to be a newer problem related to the Mavericks and Yosemite updates. This hub works well in all other respects. I'm always skeptical when an otherwise working device is blamed for a problem that appears with software updates. It could be the device, but it also could be something changed in the system software that made the problem more prevalent.

I'll try plugging just one of the drives directly into the USB port on the MBP. If there's no problem with that configuration I can accept that buying a newer hub could solve the problem. Although it makes me wonder if investing $2 in Jettison might not be a better solution short term.

So to be clear, are people with USB 3.0 hubs never experiencing this problem?

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
USB device fitness for purpose

Yes it's a higher end, powered USB 2.0 hub. It's 5 years old. …

What's the make and model?

Here

Adapted from an old post (at least one of the links no longer works) …

Sitecom USB 2.0 Dock CN-022
Cerulian 10 port USB 2.0 top loading hub
  • circa 2011
  • Maplin Electronics code N14JB
  • System Information identifies the Cerulian N14JB as product 0x0608 from vendor 0x05e3 (Genesys Logic, Inc.)
  • Genesis Logic | USB Hub Product | Hub Controller … but I don't know whether what's in the N14JB is amongst that range of controllers.
For me the 2005 device was and is more reliable than the 2011 device.

I purchased the Cerulian after repeatedly failing to get information, from the manufacturer, for the hubs that Apple sold at the time. (Sometimes when I found trouble with a hub, Apple recommended trying one of the hubs that they knew to be good.)

… It could be the device, but it also could be something changed in the system software that made the problem more prevalent.

I guess a combination of the two.

Certainly, some combinations of software will 'want more' from a hub than a clean installation of the operating system.

A relatively extreme example

Fitness for purpose of a USB 2.0 hub may be questioned with some approaches to ZFS on OS X. (In the MacZFS area: USB not supported; Issues with USB Drives. In the OpenZFS on OS X area: "… direct attached SATA, eSATA, Firewire, Thunderbolt, and Thunderbolt2 are better choices. …". And so on.) I used USB 2.0 with ZEVO.

Without a hub

I'll try plugging just one of the drives directly …

Smart.

richsad

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2014
Boston, MA area
Belkin Hi-Speed USB 2.0 FSU237

Quick update:

The hub I am using is Belkin Hi-Speed USB 2.0 FSU237. It's been working great for years. I've had other hubs that haven't withstood the test of time.

I plugged my time machine backup drive which is a Western Digital 1TB USB 2 drive directly into the USB port on the computer (no hub). I got the same error on sleep. It didn't happen every time, but it happened over half the time I tested. I tried several USB cables. The full description that Disk Utilities gives me for this drive is: WD Ext HDD 1021 Media

It seems like I'm going to need to purchase Jettison. Since the problem is occurring even when the drive is plugged in directly, I'm not convinced that purchasing a new USB 3.0 hub would solve the problem. Because I use the drive for manual Time Machine backups it does get written to. Most of the other drives plugged in are used in a more read-only fashion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.