Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

simon-says

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 24, 2005
Louisiana
I think tomorrow I will be calling AppleCare for them to repair my iPod. My 40GB 4th gen gets around 4 hours battery life, from the advertised 12. Kinda tough when I normally listen to it more than that daily, well did. I got it Dec 27th 2004, and have the extended AppleCare warranty on it. I'm afraid since this is a battery problem I will receive a new, used or refurb iPod. Mine is engraved. I really hate to get a used or refurb iPod, as I paid $400 for the iPod and $50 for the AppleCare. What kind of chance do I have at getting a new iPod? I know refurbs aren't bad, my shuffle came from the refurb store, but as much as I use my iPod I'd hate having something used or refurbed. Do I even stand a chance of getting my iPod back? What should I expect to get?

I would go to an Apple store but the nearest is ~5 hours away from me. Also the 40GB 4th gen was removed from the Apple line on Feb ~23rd if that counts for anything.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Is there a genius bar in your area? I'd take it there if I had the chance, I think you would have a better chance of getting a brand new one. (not the video, but a new 4th gen.)

Otherwise, if you send it in, tell them you do not want a refurb or used, and just hope for the best.

The fact that they don't make your Ipod line anymore doesn't mean much, you'll get one exactly like the one you have.

EDIT: I just noticed you said an Apple store was 5 hours away.

hcuar

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2004
Dallas
I had a coworker who sent in their iPod for repair... They received their same iPod back. I've heard mixed results... Some people get a different iPod, some get their own. I figure a battery is a pretty simple fix, and you'd probably get your own.

simon-says

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 24, 2005
Louisiana
Thanks for the replies.

hcuar said:
I had a coworker who sent in their iPod for repair... They received their same iPod back. I've heard mixed results... Some people get a different iPod, some get their own. I figure a battery is a pretty simple fix, and you'd probably get your own.

You know I thought the same but was reading apple.com and came across this.

http://depot.info.apple.com/ipod/ said:
Note: iPod equipment that is sent in for battery service or service requiring other repairs will be replaced with functionally equivalent new, used, or refurbished iPod equipment. You will not receive the same iPod that was sent in for service.

Personally I'd love my 4th Gen or a new 4th Gen in return, I don't need a color screen or anything fancy, I just need music.

simon-says

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 24, 2005
Louisiana
So I called AppleCare after spending 30 minutes on the phone that I have to request service online. Wow, thanks for wasting my minutes this month.

Anyways, how do you request service for a battery replacement? There is no option for it. I see options about Cables, Dock, Earbuds, etc but no battery.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.