Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kat.hayes

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
I need to get aftermarket RAM for a new iMac from BH because my company has a contract with them. Can someone please tell me which of these will work with the new iMac? I'd like to get 16GB possibly 32....

Thanks!

kat.hayes

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
Thanks for the replies.

I did get the 27-inch.

1. How many slots does the iMac have?

2. If I start with 16GB based on 2 8GB sticks, can I just add 2 more 8GB sticks later on if I need them to max it out at 32GB?

3. I bought the iMac from Apple with 8GB. Can I use this 8GB along with the 2 8GB sticks?

Thanks.

jvette

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2007
I purchased my extra ram from OWC and it works great with no problems. They were more expensive than buying it from Amazon and getting Crucial but I have always used them. I purchased 32gb and it cost me $387.99

nrs111

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2013
I bought the Crucial RAM from Amazon as well for $134.95. Added 2 sticks to the stock 8gb. Seems like the best bang for the buck to end up with 24gb.

TweakOnline

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2012
Europe
So it's confirmed that you can add additional ram, while you're using the stock 8GB? So in fact, if I would buy 16GB of extra ram, I would be able to have 24GB of ram? :)

pfrocha

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2013
Memory for late 2013 iMac 27"

If you plan on taking up all 4 slots with 8Gb in each, make sure you buy 1.35v Ram, otherwise you will be facing endless Kernel panics.

I experienced that first hand and the panics did not stop until I changed the Ram to 1.35v.

If you Google this information you will see that memory manufacturers have already acknowledged the problem -- even though Apple has not.

DavidG328

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2009
Portland, OR
which iMac did you order? Only the 27" has user replaceable ram..

User replaceable according to Apple (ie. won't mess up warranty)? I pulled the plug on a 21.5 with 8GB, which will suit me just fine, but I thought I had seen a video last night of someone opening one up to replace the RAM.

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
If you plan on taking up all 4 slots with 8Gb in each, make sure you buy 1.35v Ram, otherwise you will be facing endless Kernel panics.

Yes, but not just any 1.35V RAM. Stick with makes and models confirmed to work, like the Crucial I mentioned above. I went through two quality brands with no success until I bought the Crucial.

User replaceable according to Apple (ie. won't mess up warranty)? I pulled the plug on a 21.5 with 8GB, which will suit me just fine, but I thought I had seen a video last night of someone opening one up to replace the RAM.

It is possible to open the machine to upgrade the RAM but it is not an easy job. You will need to get the pizza-cutter tool to separate the panel from the body and then the Apple double-sided tape to replace it. That is available on eBay. See this thread.

I wouldn't recommend even attempting this until the Apple warranty expires because if they detect you did so, the warranty is voided.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.