Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Yeah so a while back I broke my Nexus 5. I finally got enough cash to get a replacement and it came in today, but now I am wondering if I should even open the box. :eek:

Recent hiccups with core apps I use daily kind have started to sour things. Sometimes apps work fine, until they are updated then go garbage (falcon pro being one).

I have also started to wonder what the windows phone experience would be like, I have been looking at that lumia 1520 for a bit.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Well, if you get Windows, expect a slacking app store selection. Tons of off brand apps. You just may get bored with the phone after a while.

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
Do you place a lot of value on having lots of apps and the newest app releases?
Do you place a lot of value on having easy access to google services?

If you do, give Windows Phone a miss for now.

If these things don't matter to you, give it a try. You might love it.

ADDED: Or why not just get a cheap 520 to try for 2-3 weeks? I think it's all really about the OS and app options and how this fits with you. Experience with 520 will allow you to establish this just as well as experience with one of the high end handsets.

Last edited:

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Do you place a lot of value on having lots of apps and the newest app releases?
Do you place a lot of value on having easy access to google services?

If you do, give Windows Phone a miss for now.

If these things don't matter to you, give it a try. You might love it.

ADDED: Or why not just get a cheap 520 to try for 2-3 weeks? I think it's all really about the OS and app options and how this fits with you. Experience with 520 will allow you to establish this just as well as experience with one of the high end handsets.

That's what I did with the Nokia 521. I'll never say never with going for a flagship or something with more specs but I think not in the near term at least.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Well, if you get Windows, expect a slacking app store selection. Tons of off brand apps. You just may get bored with the phone after a while.

Agreed. In my opinion the app store is bad enough to make me choose a different OS.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Yeah, I know the windows app store is lacking, I don't need a ton of apps. Also read the notification center is kind of a mess. I was looking at the 1520 due to the huge battery. The only other phone with a huge battery is the note 3.

But the bloatware and Knox and the headache trying to root the thing and I don't use a windows machine. I suppose I would not need root.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Yeah, I know the windows app store is lacking, I don't need a ton of apps. Also read the notification center is kind of a mess. I was looking at the 1520 due to the huge battery. The only other phone with a huge battery is the note 3.

But the bloatware and Knox and the headache trying to root the thing and I don't use a windows machine. I suppose I would not need root.

If you need to root the Note 3(which is easy), then you'll obviously need more from a Windows Phone.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
Due to the app situation I was bored with windows phone within a week and couldn't wait for my android phone to get back from repairs. It was missing so many apps that I use daily and 3rd party apps can only get you so far.

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN

If you want to tether (unofficially), you're out of luck. Even though the L1520 is a nice phone with a great screen, it is lacking in a lot features. Also, it's not really a Windows Phone (way different than Windows that you're used to).

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
I said the heck with it and set up the nexus 5, unlocked and rooted. And in a diztronic case.

Hope I don't break this one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.