Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 5, 2014, 05:43 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple and Samsung File List of Patent Claims and Accused Products Ahead of Second U.S. Patent Lawsuit

Ahead of a second patent infringement lawsuit set to take place on March 31, Apple and Samsung have filed a final list of the accused patents and products being brought to trial, reports FOSS Patents.

Previously, both companies agreed in September 2013 to drop one patent each from the trial, as Judge Lucy Koh ordered both companies to narrow the scope of their ongoing legal battle. Last month, Judge Koh also invalidated two of Samsung's patent claims, which will result in the Korean company bringing a total of only four patent claims to trial. Apple will bring the expected amount of five patents to trial.

Apple's asserted patents:
- U.S. Patent No. 5,946,647 "System and method for performing an action on a structure in computer-generated data" - Claim 9
- U.S. Patent No. 6,847,959 "Universal interface for retrieval of information in a computer system" - Claim 25
- U.S. Patent No. 7,761,414 "Asynchronous data synchronization amongst devices" - Claim 20
- U.S. Patent No. 8,046,721 "Unlocking a device by performing gestures on an unlock image" - Claim 8
- U.S. Patent No. 8,074,172 "Method, system, and graphical user interface for providing word recommendation" - Claim 18

Samsung products accused by Apple:
- Admire
- Galaxy Note
- Galaxy Note II
- Galaxy S II
- Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch
- Galaxy S II Skyrocket
- Galaxy S III
- Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
- Stratosphere

Samsung's asserted patents:
- U.S. Patent No. 7,756,087 "Method and apparatus for performing non-scheduled transmission in a mobile communication system for supporting an enhanced uplink data channel" - Claim 10
- U.S. Patent No. 7,551,596 "Method and apparatus for signaling control information of uplink packet data service in mobile communication system" - Claim 13
- U.S. Patent No. 6,226,449 "Apparatus for recording and reproducing digital image and speech" - Claim 27
- U.S. Patent No. 5,579,239 "Remote video transmission system" - Claims 1 and 15

Apple products accused by Samsung:
- iPhone 4
- iPhone 4S
- iPhone 5
- iPad 2
- iPad 3
- iPad 4
- iPad Mini
- iPod Touch (5th generation)
- iPod Touch (4th generation)
- MacBook Pro

Florian Mueller of FOSS Patents noted that both companies' current products do not appear on either list due to the lengthy process of U.S. patent litigation lawsuits. However, the list of accused products and their outcomes in the trial may be used as a basis for damages and injunctive relief going forward.

Mueller also noted that the anonymous request to reexamine Apple's infringed autocomplete patent has been granted, with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) now scheduled to take a closer look at the viability of the patent:
Quote:
In August 2013, the USPTO granted the reexamination request only in part -- and in a way that would have been useful for Samsung's purposes. But the anonymous requester(s) kept fighting for a more comprehensive review and filed a petition. That petition related to various claims the examiner refused to reexamine, particularly including claim 18, the claim-in-suit. In mid-January, the USPTO published a favorable decision on the petition, holding that the anonymous requester had indeed raised substantial new questions of patentability.
A mediation meeting between Apple CEO Tim Cook and Samsung Electronics CEO Oh-Hyun Kwon is scheduled to take place before the trial, with the date for the session set for on or before February 19. Both companies will also partake in a separate trial centered around Apple's new call for a U.S. ban on Samsung products set for January 30.

Article Link: Apple and Samsung File List of Patent Claims and Accused Products Ahead of Second U.S. Patent Lawsuit
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2014, 05:46 AM   #2
maflynn

By the end of the day so to speak, I think the only winners will be lawyers. The amount of money they'll probably net will not be worth all of this imo.

When I say they, I mean Apple gets a judgement for xyz and wins something, and of course Samsung gets a judgement for abc and wins something.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 05:55 AM   #3
maplingstorie
macrumors regular

uhh.. macbook pro?
maplingstorie is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2014, 06:02 AM   #4
Alphabetize
macrumors 6502

I was thinking the same thing, kind of interesting.
Alphabetize is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2014, 06:05 AM   #5
The Tuck
macrumors 6502

Lol, all of the products asserted by Samsung to be copyright infringements were stolen from Apple. How does Samsung expect to win this again?
The Tuck is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2014, 06:08 AM   #6
Pakaku
macrumors 6502a

All these patent stories are inspiring me to become a Sleep Expert...
Old Feb 5, 2014, 06:11 AM   #7
chakdey
macrumors member

Any article related to patents, I just read the title and come to the comment section.
chakdey is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2014, 06:21 AM   #8
macs4nw
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by maflynn View Post
By the end of the day so to speak, I think the only winners will be lawyers. The amount of money they'll probably net will not be worth all of this imo…..
To sue, or not to sue, for IP owners, the proverbial 'rock and a hard place'.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 06:28 AM   #9
the8thark
macrumors 68030

And the staff here squeal with delight at the prospect of more patent lawsuits to write articles about.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 06:42 AM   #10
luckydcxx
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplingstorie View Post
uhh.. macbook pro?
- Remote video transmission system ... Possibly FaceTime?
luckydcxx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2014, 06:47 AM   #11
Mr-Kerrse
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckydcxx View Post
- Remote video transmission system ... Possibly FaceTime?
That would include imacs as well ?
Old Feb 5, 2014, 06:48 AM   #12
AbSoluTc
macrumors 68020

Just stop already.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 06:49 AM   #13
jamezr
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by maflynn View Post
By the end of the day so to speak, I think the only winners will be lawyers. The amount of money they'll probably net will not be worth all of this imo.

When I say they, I mean Apple gets a judgement for xyz and wins something, and of course Samsung gets a judgement for abc and wins something.
Agree 100%….the lawyers are the ones that will make all the money.
It is that way in all things that go through the courts …….
Old Feb 5, 2014, 06:50 AM   #14
dilbert99
macrumors regular

I just wish they'd fix the patent system. It's crazy some of the things they can patent. Some of them are so obvious and I don't mean in the way that once you are told of them they are obvious.
dilbert99 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2014, 06:52 AM   #15
MikhailT
macrumors 68040

Quote:
In August 2013, the USPTO granted the reexamination request only in part -- and in a way that would have been useful for Samsung's purposes. But the anonymous requester(s) kept fighting for a more comprehensive review and filed a petition. That petition related to various claims the examiner refused to reexamine, particularly including claim 18, the claim-in-suit. In mid-January, the USPTO published a favorable decision on the petition, holding that the anonymous requester had indeed raised substantial new questions of patentability.
Why are the requesters allowed to be anonymous? Are they sending it in anonymously or is USPTO masking them but have the records as to who send it in?
MikhailT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2014, 07:00 AM   #16
JHankwitz
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to JHankwitz
This once again this reaffirms that the second oldest profession remains very lucrative.
JHankwitz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2014, 07:02 AM   #17
Jsameds
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by chakdey View Post
Any article related to patents, I just read the title and come to the comment section.
Snap, but I stick some popcorn in too
Jsameds is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2014, 07:14 AM   #18
RightMACatU
macrumors 6502a

This thing is turning into two 6 years old kids arguing on who stinks the most.
You stink! No YOU stink! ...
RightMACatU is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2014, 07:19 AM   #19
luckydcxx
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr-Kerrse View Post
That would include imacs as well ?
Could be for an early version ... I know they already lost this lawsuit over it

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/08/30/apples-facetime-workarounds-for-virnetx-patent-suit-causing-complaints-costs-24m-per-month
luckydcxx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2014, 07:37 AM   #20
Cuban Missles
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamezr View Post
Agree 100%….the lawyers are the ones that will make all the money.
It is that way in all things that go through the courts …….
As it has been said before, the whole patent thing needs an overhaul. Regardless of who wins (and does anyone care at this point?), my hope is that when all is done, there will be some clarity about patents and how they can be used and licensed. At least that will make this soap opera seem a little bit more palatable.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 07:51 AM   #21
RedGemini
Banned

So... it appears 2 of the 4 Scamdung patents are Standard Essentials. They're still trying to pull this dung?
RedGemini is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2014, 08:11 AM   #22
Karma*Police
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilbert99 View Post
I just wish they'd fix the patent system. It's crazy some of the things they can patent. Some of them are so obvious and I don't mean in the way that once you are told of them they are obvious.
Then you should be patenting everything that's so obvious cos you could be making a small fortune.
Karma*Police is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2014, 08:23 AM   #23
joneill55
macrumors 6502

"send lawyers, guns and money, cause sh#* has hit the fan"
-Waren Zevon
joneill55 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2014, 08:55 AM   #24
brinary001
macrumors regular

Still???? Does anyone know when they're gonna put an end to this ****???? Apple, yes Samsung does some rotten things to rip off companies, but that's business. And Samsung, Apple can be whinier than a toothing toddler, but don't let them get under your skin.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 08:56 AM   #25
Lennholm
macrumors 6502a

As expected, the Apple patents are for design concepts while Samsung patents are for actual technologies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tuck View Post
Lol, all of the products asserted by Samsung to be copyright infringements were stolen from Apple. How does Samsung expect to win this again?
Patent infringement, not copyright infringement. Whether or not Samsung stole those products from Apple is irrelevant to Samsung's claim since their claim is that Apple built those product on patents stolen from Samsung.
Lennholm is online now   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion