Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Ahead of a second patent infringement lawsuit set to take place on March 31, Apple and Samsung have filed a final list of the accused patents and products being brought to trial, reports FOSS Patents.

apple_samsung_logos.jpg
Previously, both companies agreed in September 2013 to drop one patent each from the trial, as Judge Lucy Koh ordered both companies to narrow the scope of their ongoing legal battle. Last month, Judge Koh also invalidated two of Samsung's patent claims, which will result in the Korean company bringing a total of only four patent claims to trial. Apple will bring the expected amount of five patents to trial.

Apple's asserted patents:
- U.S. Patent No. 5,946,647 "System and method for performing an action on a structure in computer-generated data" - Claim 9
- U.S. Patent No. 6,847,959 "Universal interface for retrieval of information in a computer system" - Claim 25
- U.S. Patent No. 7,761,414 "Asynchronous data synchronization amongst devices" - Claim 20
- U.S. Patent No. 8,046,721 "Unlocking a device by performing gestures on an unlock image" - Claim 8
- U.S. Patent No. 8,074,172 "Method, system, and graphical user interface for providing word recommendation" - Claim 18

Samsung products accused by Apple:
- Admire
- Galaxy Note
- Galaxy Note II
- Galaxy S II
- Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch
- Galaxy S II Skyrocket
- Galaxy S III
- Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
- Stratosphere

Samsung's asserted patents:
- U.S. Patent No. 7,756,087 "Method and apparatus for performing non-scheduled transmission in a mobile communication system for supporting an enhanced uplink data channel" - Claim 10
- U.S. Patent No. 7,551,596 "Method and apparatus for signaling control information of uplink packet data service in mobile communication system" - Claim 13
- U.S. Patent No. 6,226,449 "Apparatus for recording and reproducing digital image and speech" - Claim 27
- U.S. Patent No. 5,579,239 "Remote video transmission system" - Claims 1 and 15

Apple products accused by Samsung:
- iPhone 4
- iPhone 4S
- iPhone 5
- iPad 2
- iPad 3
- iPad 4
- iPad Mini
- iPod Touch (5th generation)
- iPod Touch (4th generation)
- MacBook Pro

Florian Mueller of FOSS Patents noted that both companies' current products do not appear on either list due to the lengthy process of U.S. patent litigation lawsuits. However, the list of accused products and their outcomes in the trial may be used as a basis for damages and injunctive relief going forward.

Mueller also noted that the anonymous request to reexamine Apple's infringed autocomplete patent has been granted, with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) now scheduled to take a closer look at the viability of the patent:
In August 2013, the USPTO granted the reexamination request only in part -- and in a way that would have been useful for Samsung's purposes. But the anonymous requester(s) kept fighting for a more comprehensive review and filed a petition. That petition related to various claims the examiner refused to reexamine, particularly including claim 18, the claim-in-suit. In mid-January, the USPTO published a favorable decision on the petition, holding that the anonymous requester had indeed raised substantial new questions of patentability.
A mediation meeting between Apple CEO Tim Cook and Samsung Electronics CEO Oh-Hyun Kwon is scheduled to take place before the trial, with the date for the session set for on or before February 19. Both companies will also partake in a separate trial centered around Apple's new call for a U.S. ban on Samsung products set for January 30.

Article Link: Apple and Samsung File List of Patent Claims and Accused Products Ahead of Second U.S. Patent Lawsuit

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
By the end of the day so to speak, I think the only winners will be lawyers. The amount of money they'll probably net will not be worth all of this imo.

When I say they, I mean Apple gets a judgement for xyz and wins something, and of course Samsung gets a judgement for abc and wins something.

The Tuck

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2003
Lol, all of the products asserted by Samsung to be copyright infringements were stolen from Apple. How does Samsung expect to win this again?

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
All these patent stories are inspiring me to become a Sleep Expert...

chakdey

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2008
Any article related to patents, I just read the title and come to the comment section.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
And the staff here squeal with delight at the prospect of more patent lawsuits to write articles about.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
By the end of the day so to speak, I think the only winners will be lawyers. The amount of money they'll probably net will not be worth all of this imo.

When I say they, I mean Apple gets a judgement for xyz and wins something, and of course Samsung gets a judgement for abc and wins something.

Agree 100%….the lawyers are the ones that will make all the money.
It is that way in all things that go through the courts …….

dilbert99

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2012
I just wish they'd fix the patent system. It's crazy some of the things they can patent. Some of them are so obvious and I don't mean in the way that once you are told of them they are obvious.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
In August 2013, the USPTO granted the reexamination request only in part -- and in a way that would have been useful for Samsung's purposes. But the anonymous requester(s) kept fighting for a more comprehensive review and filed a petition. That petition related to various claims the examiner refused to reexamine, particularly including claim 18, the claim-in-suit. In mid-January, the USPTO published a favorable decision on the petition, holding that the anonymous requester had indeed raised substantial new questions of patentability.

Why are the requesters allowed to be anonymous? Are they sending it in anonymously or is USPTO masking them but have the records as to who send it in?

luckydcxx

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2013
That would include imacs as well ?

Could be for an early version ... I know they already lost this lawsuit over it

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/08/30/apples-facetime-workarounds-for-virnetx-patent-suit-causing-complaints-costs-24m-per-month

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Agree 100%….the lawyers are the ones that will make all the money.
It is that way in all things that go through the courts …….

As it has been said before, the whole patent thing needs an overhaul. Regardless of who wins (and does anyone care at this point?), my hope is that when all is done, there will be some clarity about patents and how they can be used and licensed. At least that will make this soap opera seem a little bit more palatable.

Karma*Police

Suspended
Jul 15, 2012
I just wish they'd fix the patent system. It's crazy some of the things they can patent. Some of them are so obvious and I don't mean in the way that once you are told of them they are obvious.

Then you should be patenting everything that's so obvious cos you could be making a small fortune.:p

brinary001

Suspended
Sep 4, 2012
Midwest, USA
Still???? Does anyone know when they're gonna put an end to this ****???? Apple, yes Samsung does some rotten things to rip off companies, but that's business. And Samsung, Apple can be whinier than a toothing toddler, but don't let them get under your skin.

Lennholm

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2010
As expected, the Apple patents are for design concepts while Samsung patents are for actual technologies.

Lol, all of the products asserted by Samsung to be copyright infringements were stolen from Apple. How does Samsung expect to win this again?

Patent infringement, not copyright infringement. Whether or not Samsung stole those products from Apple is irrelevant to Samsung's claim since their claim is that Apple built those product on patents stolen from Samsung.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.