Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Feb 5, 2014, 07:30 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Former Sony President Recounts Steve Jobs' Desire to Launch an OS X-Compatible VAIO

Steve Jobs had a desire to launch an OS X-compatible Sony VAIO, according to a new blog post from longtime Japanese freelance writer Nobuyuki Hayashi (via The Verge). The account comes from a 2011 interview with former Sony president Kunitake Ando, who stated Jobs and another Apple executive presented him with a VAIO running OS X during a winter golf tournament in Hawaii.

Quote:
Most of Sony's executives spends their winter vacation in Hawaii and play golf after celebrating new year. In one of those new year golf competitions back in 2001, "Steve Jobs and another Apple executive were waiting for us at the end of golf course holding VAIO running Mac OS" recalls Ando.
Upon his return to Apple in 1997, Steve Jobs famously ended Apple's Mac OS licensing program for third-parties. However, Ando notes that Jobs was ready to "make an exception" for Sony's line of VAIO notebooks. Ando states that the partnership between the two companies never happened due to "bad timing" for Sony, as the company had finished optimizing both the VAIO's hardware and software specifically for Microsoft's Windows platform.

In addition to having a strong interest in the company's notebooks, Ando also claims that Jobs asked many questions about Sony's line of "SonyStyle" retail stores, which he believes led to inspiration for Apple's own retail stores. Jobs also reportedly inspired the GPS feature found in many of Sony's CyberShot cameras, as Ando recounts the former Apple CEO professing his desire for the feature upon using the product.

Article Link: Former Sony President Recounts Steve Jobs' Desire to Launch an OS X-Compatible VAIO
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2014, 07:30 AM   #2
musika
macrumors 65816

That was unexpected. It would've been really funny if he had wanted it on a Samsung laptop.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 07:32 AM   #3
szw-mapple fan
macrumors 6502a

Vaio is actually pretty good as a laptop, for a Windows machine.
szw-mapple fan is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2014, 07:32 AM   #4
Sky Blue
macrumors 604

I call ******** on that.
Sky Blue is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2014, 07:36 AM   #5
hrn
macrumors newbie

This is the history of Project Marklar... and how he ended up taking a flight to meet the Sony President.

http://www.tuaw.com/2012/06/10/how-m...-year-old-boy/

Ok... this is the original link

http://www.quora.com/Apple-company/H...Kim-Scheinberg

Quote:
Max (our 1-year-old) and I were in the office when this happened because I was picking JK up from work. Bertrand walks in, watches the PC boot up, and says to JK, "How long would it take you to get this running on a (Sony) Vaio?" JK replies, "Not long" and Bertrand says, "Two weeks? Three?"

JK said more like two *hours*. Three hours, tops.

Bertrand tells JK to go to Fry's (the famous West Coast computer chain) and buy the top of the line, most expensive Vaio they have. So off JK, Max and I go to Frys. We return to Apple less than an hour later. By 7:30 that evening, the Vaio is running the Mac OS. [My husband disputes my memory of this and says that Matt Watson bought the Vaio. Maybe Matt will chime in.]

The next morning, Steve Jobs is on a plane to Japan to meet with the President of Sony.
hrn is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2014, 07:36 AM   #6
TonikGR
macrumors newbie

This is interesting!

In other news, Sony is said to be looking to sell PC operations. Wonder if there's anything of value that Apple could swoop up?

Or perhaps Lenovo will reconsider its previous position and buy Sony's PC line.

WSJ article
TonikGR is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2014, 07:39 AM   #7
Tankmaze
macrumors 65816

I would buy that, vaio hardware design is also as beautiful as a mac.
If I would switch to windows, vaio is definitely my choice.

But this was probably when steve got back to apple around 1997ish maybe.
Edit : after reading the article this event happened in 2001.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 07:40 AM   #8
MaulRx
macrumors regular

Little hard to believe but if had to be anyone it would have been a Sony product.
MaulRx is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2014, 07:44 AM   #9
Cuban Missles
macrumors 6502

My last Windows machine was a viao and that was my fist prebuilt machine as I had built my own up on til then. I really like the viao and I think Sony did a great job. But that was now 8 years ago. I don't know where they are at product wise, but as a company they are in a bit of a decline. They were a great company and I hope they can rebound.

In terms of this story, I cannot but wonder what life would be like if that partnership would have taken off.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 07:47 AM   #10
Michaelgtrusa
macrumors 68040

Hard to see that.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 07:48 AM   #11
frikova
macrumors newbie

I'm glad it didn't happen, as probably Apple would not have been what it is today.

But, anyway:

frikova is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2014, 07:48 AM   #12
rosalindavenue
macrumors 6502a

I'm pretty sure I've read that Steve used a Sony laptop running NEXTSTEP when he first came back to Apple in 97. Couldn't find a link, though.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 07:50 AM   #13
alohamade
Contributing Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuban Missles View Post
My last Windows machine was a viao and that was my fist prebuilt machine as I had built my own up on til then. I really like the viao and I think Sony did a great job. But that was now 8 years ago. I don't know where they are at product wise, but as a company they are in a bit of a decline. They were a great company and I hope they can rebound.

In terms of this story, I cannot but wonder what life would be like if that partnership would have taken off.
I feel pretty similar, actually. My first laptop when I was eleven years old was a VAIO (2001-2002 ish), and that thing lasted like a tank and was quite the piece of work. Of course, I didn't know what a Mac was like then.

These "What If?" stories about possibilities and proposals from before really intrigue me, for some reason. Makes you think about what's potentially being discussed right now...
Old Feb 5, 2014, 07:52 AM   #14
macnerd93
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Blue View Post
I call ******** on that.
its perfectly plausible. I remember reading in one of my many Jobs/Apple books, I think it might have been the iWoz biography, that when Steve returned to Apple he actually used a Toshiba laptop over an Apple one until his personal signature was put back on the Apple brand.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 07:56 AM   #15
nathanmiller99
macrumors member

Interesting news.
nathanmiller99 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2014, 08:05 AM   #16
bushido
macrumors 601

had a Vaio before my last two macbook gens and it was the worst thing to upgrade. no driver support for future windows releases whatsoever. to this day i havent got the graphics and fn keys working again for windows 7. all the driver mess on MS actually was the reason i went back to Mac on top of windows messy registry
bushido is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2014, 08:12 AM   #17
nobihaya
macrumors newbie

Thanks for reminding me!

Thank you hrn for reminding me of this story (and thanks, MacRumors for picking up this story with link to my blog).

I am the original author of this story; please come read my blog, if you had time:
http://nobi.com/en/

One of my friend actually told me about Marklar project; I also have many ex-Apple friends who worked for the original Mac OS X (and for project Millenium, if you know what it is).
I followed the link to Quora and even commented there, but completely forgot about it:
http://www.quora.com/Apple-company/H...comment/989850

Now I can add that bit to my own blog.

Thanks again!

Nobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrn View Post
This is the history of Project Marklar... and how he ended up taking a flight to meet the Sony President.

http://www.tuaw.com/2012/06/10/how-m...-year-old-boy/

Ok... this is the original link

http://www.quora.com/Apple-company/H...Kim-Scheinberg
nobihaya is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2014, 08:12 AM   #18
allpar
macrumors 6502

I agree with Steve Jobs, though. Vaio was at the time the very best designed hardware you could get for anywhere near the money, in my opinion. I ran tech for a small company and we had the IBMs, which were good but expensive (and any repair, no matter how small, would cost twice as much as the machine). We had a variety of other brands, Dell, Hitachi, Toshiba, etc. None could stand any abuse at all, and all would fail very rapidly in use.

The Vaio, with their metal construction, extremely light weight, and clever design, were the smallest, toughest, most durable laptops we could get, and they were cheaper than many of the competitors. Before long we had all Vaios and our problems were much less frequent than they had been. The down side was some of the guys didn't like the "Barbie look" of the pink ones.

I left before they had to be upgraded to new systems, though. I think we were on 98SE, ME, and XP, depending on the batch. (I specified 98SE when I could get away with it, until XP came.)

In 2001, the only non-Apple computer I would want running MacOS would be Vaio.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 08:21 AM   #19
CEmajr
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by szw-mapple fan View Post
Vaio is actually pretty good as a laptop, for a Windows machine.
I agree. If forced to go Windows the Vaio is about the only brand I would consider.
CEmajr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2014, 08:28 AM   #20
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 601

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
As I recall, wasn't the design of the NeXT computer and it's assembly line inspired by Jobs visiting Sony? Didn't he base the decision to have a uniform clothing policy at Apple on Sony, too (other managers convinced him it was a bad idea, so it became his personal policy instead, that he would always wear his trademark turtleneck, jeans, and sneakers.)

I'm recalling all of this from the Steve Jobs biography, but I only read it once, right when it came out over two years ago.
ArtOfWarfare is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2014, 08:35 AM   #21
Gudi
macrumors 6502a

My first Vaio melted under its own heat. The plastic casing break out in blisters. All Sony products I had developed problems over time. Can't recommend them.
Gudi is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2014, 08:41 AM   #22
dukebound85
macrumors P6

Yet when people have mentioned osx on a PC, they get an earful from forum members here saying apple would never do that
dukebound85 is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2014, 08:46 AM   #23
Iconoclysm
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukebound85 View Post
Yet when people have mentioned osx on a PC, they get an earful from forum members here saying apple would never do that
At this point, they're probably right.
Iconoclysm is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2014, 08:54 AM   #24
crouchingtiger
macrumors newbie

I distinctly remember Jobs referencing Sony's laptops directly when he introduced the PowerBook G4 Titanium. Macrumors would be well served to dig up that keynote speech and confirm. Timing of this story seems a little bit off as presumably this must have occurred before the Titanium launch...
crouchingtiger is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2014, 09:02 AM   #25
brinary001
macrumors regular

This would've been really coo to see imo. The Vaio line is beautiful, and though I'm with a MacBook Pro right now, I wouldn't call you crazy if you were from the future and said I'll own a Vaio at some point.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion