Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dynasty90

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2014
I'm hoping to get some opinions regarding a potential MacBook Pro (retina) purchase.

I'm having trouble justifying the $1,299 price simply because of the intended usage.

I only do basic, everyday tasks like web browsing, email, streaming music/video, HDMI to TV streaming, Microsoft Office, and very minor photo editing using Google Picasa. No gaming, heavy photo editing, video editing, or demanding software.

The configuration I'm looking at is the following:

13-inch: 2.4GHz
with Retina display

2.4GHz dual-core Intel Core i5
Turbo Boost up to 2.9GHz
4GB 1600MHz memory
128GB PCIe-based flash storage
Intel Iris Graphics
Built-in battery (9 hours)

I was considering the iPad, but require Microsoft Office and I prefer a physical keyboard for typing instead of a touchscreen keyboard. I also considered a Chromebook, but still am lacking the Microsoft Office programs. The MacBook Air is almost just as pricey too.

I do like Apple products and have a iPod from 2005 that still works and a iPhone 4s from summer 2012 that still works well. I have heard horror stories about Windows 8 operating system, so I'm not sure if OSX and another Apple product is the clear choice.

I would appreciate your thoughts! What would you do in my situation?

Gman021

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2012
It's simple. The retina can obviously handle those tasks, as can any apple. You buy the retina for the screen, thinness, size, and power.

If you don't care for those, a used non retina MacBook, or an Air would do the same job with less money needed.

No-Me

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2011
Rotterdam
In my opinion an iPad is never an replacement or alternative for a laptop.

As @Weaselboy said, an Air would do fine if you look at the specs, BUT I would always advise to go for the Retina MacBook Pro if you have the money, simply because of the screen. I wouldn't want to have a laptop without a Retina screen anymore.

swerve147

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2013
I have heard horror stories about Windows 8 operating system

Windows 8 really isn't that bad. There are options out there to allow you to boot directly to the desktop with a real Start Menu. With those 2 things in place the experience is pretty much equivalent to Windows 7.

Praxis91

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2011
I used to knock Apple a lot, but they really make great products. I never thought I would buy a $2000+ laptop, but I am about to. :D

These are luxury items. Most people need computers nowadays, but most would be fine with a $500 laptop from Best Buy. However, these things sell and sell and sell for a reason.

IMO, enjoy life. If you got the money, spend it. Plus, you can always sell your Apple product after a year or so without losing too much on it. Otherwise, while nothing lasts forever, these products have a very good reputation.

Also IMO, it's only a waste of money (which you can say about ANY product) if you do not use it.

kathyricks

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2012
iPad is not even close to a laptop replacement. iOS is a totally different and far more limiting operating system. iOS apps are far different too and much more limiting. I learned all that the hard way via buying a new iPad Air in December foolishly thinking it might be a laptop replacement.

I'm looking forward to selling my new iPad Air as soon as the rMB Pro I ordered arrives. If a retina MB Air was available I would have bought that instead, but to get retina one must buy the Pro.

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
iPad is not even close to a laptop replacement. iOS is a totally different and far more limiting operating system. iOS apps are far different too and much more limiting. I learned all that the hard way via buying a new iPad Air in December foolishly thinking it might be a laptop replacement.

I'm looking forward to selling my new iPad Air as soon as the rMB Pro I ordered arrives. If a retina MB Air was available I would have bought that instead, but to get retina one must buy the Pro.

While the iPad is not a replacement for a laptop it does a pretty good job for a lot of the tasks one would typically use a laptop for, just in a more portable package. I carry my iPad almost everywhere, including a lot of place I wouldn't take a laptop. I would estimate that 90% of my web browsing is done via the iPad.

I have less need for a laptop with the iPad. A Mini, iMac, or Mac Pro could work fine for me now.

accountforit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2014

This chick is going around in various threads claiming how great the rMBP screen is and she doesn't even officially own one yet. It's hilarious the type of advice you receive on this forum.

ionjohn

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2013
Canada
This chick is going around in various threads claiming how great the rMBP screen is and she doesn't even officially own one yet. It's hilarious the type of advice you receive on this forum.

huh it doesn't mean she hasn't used one, I used to do the same thing, probably like most people actually haha

kathyricks

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2012
I have actually officially owned a rMBP since Jan 30: http://imageshack.com/a/img31/8085/vyhn.jpg Due to the snow and freezing rain in Portland, the Applestore there has been closed for the past 2 days so I havn't been able to pick it up. I have also owned and used an iPad Air since early Dec. so I am well acquainted with retina screens...I can't think of any downside to retina other than they are not quite as bright (at the maximum brightness setting) as the non-retina screens.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
I'm hoping to get some opinions regarding a potential MacBook Pro (retina) purchase.

I'm having trouble justifying the $1,299 price simply because of the intended usage.
Not sure why you need opinions. If you can't justify anything then don't buy it. I easily justified my MBP but my justifications aren't going to be relevant to you. What's your budget? If you can provide that then others can offer alternatives that might be better suited to you.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009

The iPad's ability to replace a laptop depends on how you use a laptop. For me, my iPad is a great adjunct to a laptop. I can keep it with me a lot more easily than a laptop. It does email, web browsing and is a lot better ereader than a laptop. I wouldn't use it to prepare or show presentations or documents but it is great a creating first drafts. With a good connection is does goto meeting and Adobe Connect just fine.

OTOH, when I got my Air and passed down my Gen4 iPad it replaced a laptop since the laptop was used for web browsing, Netflix and email. The IPad is much more portable and functional for that than a Macbook Pro that was used. The MBP is now gathering dust.

YMMV HAND

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.