Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rhp2424

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
Would you suggest that I would be better to have three Dell P2314H 23" IPS LED Monitors (1920 x 1080) or two 27" monitors (model yet to be determined)?

I need the screen real estate for FCP, Aperture, and everyday computer multitasking (internet browsing while listening to music or watching a show on Hulu in the background, for example).

For the budget, so far as I can tell, the three 23" monitors are cheaper than buying two 27" monitors that are same quality as P2314H and offer DP.

AND...if I go three 23", is there a suggested/best way to get three DP from the 2012 Mac Pro? Should I consider DVI - to DP or just go straight Dual Link for the third monitor?

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:

jchrisj

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2014
What do you usually work on? I personally find two 27" monitors easier to maneuver but then again when I multitask my background is usually Pandora (so no need for extra screen). Based on what you've shared though I'd say go with three 23"s. no idea about set up though.

blanka

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2012
Just get 1 top notch 30 inch like a Dell U3014 and learn to work with spaces if you still get clutter. Or is your stool on rails?

rhp2424

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
What do you usually work on? I personally find two 27" monitors easier to maneuver but then again when I multitask my background is usually Pandora (so no need for extra screen). Based on what you've shared though I'd say go with three 23"s. no idea about set up though.

As I said above, it is generally video editing, photo editing and the ol' fashioned web browsing. While doing photo editing and web browsing I am known to multitask by listening to music or watching a show online.

Or is your stool on rails?
??

I can't say that I am familiar with this expression.

MEGAdanl

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2012
I think the "stool on rails" comment refers to the amount of neck movement required in a big parabolic monitor setup. I personally use 27" koreans with an old 24" flank. The 27's are always in landscape while the 24 switches between portrait and landscape (more recently it's been staying in landscape). I'm happy to report no neck strain! I'm even strongly considering another 23/24 flank for the other side. I do stand up 90% of my day though.

2lav9sl.jpg

Keep in mind that all 27's are not created equally. Pixel density is an important consideration and is usually reflected in cost. 27" at 1080p means the same number of pixel as a 23/24" at the same res, they're just bigger. I'm very happy with my 1440p Koreans though, while I'm a designer, color correctness isn't absolutely crucial in my work. Also, even though it looks horrible in this pic, I very rarely have a problem with the glare.

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
+1 on the Korean IPS 2560x1440 monitors. Just as good as my iMac screen; I use one I got from Monoprice. I also work standing, and frankly any more horizontal distance (like what you'd get from 3x23s in the lower resolution) would be an ergonomic pain in the neck.

rhp2424

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
I personally use 27" koreans
...I'm very happy with my 1440p Koreans though, while I'm a designer, color correctness isn't absolutely crucial in my work.

+1 on the Korean IPS 2560x1440 monitors. Just as good as my iMac screen; I use one I got from Monoprice. I also work standing, and frankly any more horizontal distance (like what you'd get from 3x23s in the lower resolution) would be an ergonomic pain in the neck.

Any recommondations on a 27" Korean IPS. Especially perhaps one available through Amazon. I am looking at the Dell U2713H, but if I can find one that is a more reasonable price, I'd happily get something that works well. One thing I do need to work with is having DisplayPort as an input.

I looked at Monoprice and one of the only concerns is the 5 dead pixel option. I once had an iMac with a single dead pixel and I appreciated that they replaced it. Same with Dell, they will replace on a single dead pixel.

Anyway, recommendations for a Korean IPS would be greatly appreciated!.

MEGAdanl, I am strongly considering doing two 27" with a 23" flanked on the side. I really appreciated your picture. It helped give me an idea of what to expect.

rhp2424

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
I found a great price on 27" Dell monitors that provided mini DisplayPort out so that I can easily daisy chain them with a third monitor.

Thanks again for all the help! Much appreciated!

devinci99

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2008
Would you suggest that I would be better to have three Dell P2314H 23" IPS LED Monitors (1920 x 1080) or two 27" monitors (model yet to be determined)?

I need the screen real estate for FCP, Aperture, and everyday computer multitasking (internet browsing while listening to music or watching a show on Hulu in the background, for example).

For the budget, so far as I can tell, the three 23" monitors are cheaper than buying two 27" monitors that are same quality as P2314H and offer DP.

AND...if I go three 23", is there a suggested/best way to get three DP from the 2012 Mac Pro? Should I consider DVI - to DP or just go straight Dual Link for the third monitor?

Thanks for the help!

Also consider one more advantage over 3 vs 2; sen if the 2 are larger: Full screen mode. With 3, and under Windows 7 and Mac 10.9 it is easier to work with 3 different apps in full screen mode, each with their own screen. Under 2, you need to do more manual window management of apps that share a screen.

If working with more apps under full screen mode, (like 1 screen to share your lesser apps while the other screens for full screen mode on your primary money makers) than more screens should have a good advantage.

If you almost always manually manage your window sizes and don't work on full screen mode as much, then the above is a no advantage and won't really add or remove another weight towards one or the other.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.