Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Taylor4Shots

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2014
The story:

Last night, I was in bed listening to music with headphones plugged in. I was listenting to music for awhile and then noticed my iPhone charge was at 7%... before I started, It was at 13%.

So I got up, put it to charge and went to bed (not looking at the screen whats-so-ever).

Waking up this morning,

I found that my iPhone was plugged in and it was at the no charge screen and it was charging.

I tried various things, as listed below:

1. Using my wall charger (Which does work, my other iPhone 4 charges on it)

2. Using wire to laptop

- Restarting laptop with it plugged in

3. Going into DFU mode (Couldn't get to work)

4. Using a different wire (For both wall charger and connecting to laptop)

5. Using a different wall-charger (with two different wires)

That's about it...

Please keep in mind that my battery is perfectly fine, never had a problem. I do not have Apple Care no longer, can't call up or go to store.

By all means, Please try to give me instructions that do not require restoring as my backup is pretty damn old.

Please help with any tips you have!

ATM : I'm trying to drain my battery.

cinematicme

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2011
I see iPhone 4, so yeah that's an old device. Batteries can spontaneously fail, if your out of warranty check if a local shop could install a new battery. Or go on eBay and get a replacement battery with a pentagons driver. Replacing it is super easy.

Taylor4Shots

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2014
The first thing I noticed is you didn't try a reboot. Hold power button on top and the home button down intill screen clears and Apple appears.

You don't understand,

HT1476-ios7-battery_trap_charging-001-en.png

That is exactly what It's showing when I charge it.
I've been charging it for hours and hours now. Nothing is getting it done.

If I hold power + home, It dims and then re shows the charging screen (the image).

You can't turn it off at this stage, whats-so-ever.

ugcop

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
Traveling @ Warp Speed ...... USA
You don't understand,

That is exactly what It's showing when I charge it.
I've been charging it for hours and hours now. Nothing is getting it done.

If I hold power + home, It dims and then re shows the charging screen (the image).

You can't turn it off at this stage, whats-so-ever.

Okay, now I understand. You probably have only two options to get it to reset. If you can drain it off enough to cause a shut down that might work. Of course you are assuming it didn't take any of that charge which may or may not be correct. It could have taken the charge and just be stuck on the screen in which case it will be slow to deplete the battery. Probably the better option is take the back off and disconnect the battery. It is super easy on the 4 and 4s.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.