Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Feb 5, 2014, 03:27 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Comprehensive List Details Every Apple Reference in The Simpsons and Futurama

An exhaustive list of all the Apple references ever made in long-running television cartoons The Simpsons and Futurama has been compiled by Yoni Heisler of TUAW. On the air since 1989 and 1999, respectively, The Simpsons and Futurama have featured Apple products in various episodes more than 40 times.

Some standouts include a 2010 episode of Futurama where Bender declares the Mac to be better than the PC and a 1994 episode of The Simpsons, featuring the poor handwriting recognition capabilities of the Apple Newton, a PDA device.

Another highlight is a 2013 episode of The Simpsons that depicts a character attempting to use Siri to locate a hospital.
Quote:
In this particular Simpsons episode, a store owner tries to use Siri to locate a hospital for Homer.

Upon doing so, Siri tells him, "I'm sorry, I don't see any 'hos petals' near you. Deleting all contact information."

Furious, the man responds, "No, I didn't ask you to do that Siri!" To which Siri responds, "Delete confirmed."
In 2008, The Simpsons aired what may be its most popular Apple-centric episode, with a satirical anti-Apple focus on the "Mapple Store" filled with MyPods, MyPhones, and a "braniac bar." The episode also introduced Mapple founder and Chief Imaginative Officer Steve Mobbs. "He's a genius!" shouts the crowd. "He's like a god who knows what we want!"

During his compilation of references, Heisler was able to speak with The Simpsons writer Bill Oakley and director David Silverman. According to the duo, computers on the show were often drawn as Macs because it was the platform of choice for animators in the 90s.

Oakley also noted that Smithers, Mr. Burns' well-known assistant, was written as a Mac user because he "is the type of progressive young fellow who would have a Mac rather than a PC."

Silverman wanted to be clear that references to Apple are only added to episodes for comedic effect and the show is carefully written to avoid product placement.
Quote:
"Even if it's in the Simpsons universe and we created it," Silverman explained, "we don't want to put it in every show because it looks like we're promoting it, and that's not our point. Mapple is too close to the real thing."
The full list of Apple references can be accessed on TUAW and is well worth checking out. The compilation includes images, videos, and additional commentary from show creators.

Article Link: Comprehensive List Details Every Apple Reference in The Simpsons and Futurama
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2014, 03:33 PM   #2
I like bananas
macrumors member

This show is still going?
I like bananas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2014, 03:37 PM   #3
Tubebaum
macrumors newbie

I could never go back to Windows after using something as wonderful as D'oh SX 10.9
Old Feb 5, 2014, 03:53 PM   #4
Hastings101
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by I like bananas View Post
The Simpsons will never die, it's the eternal television show
Old Feb 5, 2014, 04:00 PM   #5
bushido
macrumors 603

Quote:
its as old as me. i feel like im going to die once it does get cancelled

random: (I wonder how old those people voicing them are by now)
Old Feb 5, 2014, 04:01 PM   #6
macnisse
macrumors 6502

Hilarious clips! :-D
macnisse is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2014, 04:12 PM   #7
clukas
macrumors 6502a

haha love these little references which most people don't notice. Shame they killed futurama... again.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 04:16 PM   #8
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
Why did they bother changing "Jobs" to "Mobs" and "Apple" to "Mapple" or "Genius" to "Braniac", when they didn't bother changing "Mac", "Bill Gates", or "Microsoft"?

I like how he refers to himself as "Insanely Great". They also refer to him as an "Imagineer" - possibly referring to his ties with Disney, where that's an actual title you can hold?
Old Feb 5, 2014, 04:21 PM   #9
flottenheimer
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
Oakley also noted that Smithers, Mr. Burns well-known assistant, was written as a Mac user because he "is the type of progressive young fellow who would have a Mac rather than a PC."
Hahaha. Oakley is a funny man, indeed.
Smithers:

Old Feb 5, 2014, 04:40 PM   #10
carjakester
macrumors 68020

i stopped watching the simpsons years ago
Old Feb 5, 2014, 04:42 PM   #11
Doctor Q
Administrator

It's fun to read that the iOS development team used a Simpsons reference to express concern that if the iPhone's virtual keyboard wasn't a great feature then it would end up being ridiculed like the Newton's handwriting recognition, which the Simpsons parodied with "Beat up Martin" being recognized as "Eat up Martha".
Old Feb 5, 2014, 04:51 PM   #12
chicagohoops
macrumors newbie

Tangentially, there was "Computing is Hell."

Groening is, of course, the creator of the "Life In Hell" comic strip that appeared in alternative papers in the 80s until not too long ago. It preceded The Simpsons and in many ways inspired The Simpsons. There were several "Life Is Hell" compilation books: "Work is Hell," "Life is Hell", etc. In the late 80s or early 90s, there was a special booklet commissioned by Apple called, "Computing is Hell." It was very similar to the other "...in Hell" books but it was a ad for Macintosh with the "Life In Hell" characters. It was pretty good!

----------

I know they say they don't do product placement, but I thought the 2008 "Mapple Store" with "Steve Mobs" was actually "anti-product placement." If you were vaguely considering Apple at that point, I think one came away with a feeling that one shouldn't even think about buying anything Apple.

My reaction was, "Wow! Apple must have done something to really tick off The Simpons, Groening, Fox or some semblance of those.

Was a huge fan of The Simpsons when it came out, but it lost its edge. After I happened upon the "Mapple" episode, I first thought, "Wow, I will never watch again." And then I rethought it: pretty innovative--I don't think I ever saw a cartoon show trash a product line and company like that.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 04:55 PM   #13
Michael Scrip
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagohoops View Post

Tangentially, there was "Computing is Hell."

Groening is, of course, the creator of the "Life In Hell" comic strip that appeared in alternative papers in the 80s until not too long ago. It preceded The Simpsons and in many ways inspired The Simpsons. There were several "Life Is Hell" compilation books: "Work is Hell," "Life is Hell", etc. In the late 80s or early 90s, there was a special booklet commissioned by Apple called, "Computing is Hell." It was very similar to the other "...in Hell" books but it was a ad for Macintosh with the "Life In Hell" characters. It was pretty good!
I love those books! I still have a copy of "The Big Book of Hell"

I wish Matt Groening would put all the "Life In Hell" comics into an app or some digital book. I'd buy that day one!
Michael Scrip is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2014, 04:55 PM   #14
Parasprite
macrumors 65816

What a wonderfully frivolous article; it makes me feel like I accidentally went to Reddit...
Old Feb 5, 2014, 05:01 PM   #15
thedeejay
macrumors 6502a

Lel that Siri one is funny and true :P
thedeejay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2014, 05:19 PM   #16
PracticalMac
macrumors 68020

That Mapple segment is funny, and it really does not "dish" Apple at all, just Bart up to this usual antics.
PracticalMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2014, 06:45 PM   #17
chirpie
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
As it turns out, it's been pretty good lately. Time to mothball this type of response for at least the time being.
chirpie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2014, 07:24 PM   #18
Plutonius
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parasprite View Post
What a wonderfully frivolous article; it makes me feel like I accidentally went to Reddit...
I agree. We need more patent litigation stories :P.
Plutonius is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2014, 11:00 PM   #19
ControlC
Banned

Everyone on The Simpsons seems to use a Mac.

And just saying, like most of the new ones, the "Mapple" episode is not very funny. The new Simpsons episodes are full of "satire" that tries to make you laugh for no reason and assume you just didn't get the joke fully.
ControlC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2014, 12:12 AM   #20
Parasprite
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plutonius View Post
I agree. We need more patent litigation stories :P.
But I like frivolous things.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 11:30 AM   #21
Old Muley
macrumors 6502a

I for one have enjoyed my eye-phone.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 01:54 PM   #22
wkadamsjr
macrumors regular

Love the 1984 Apple commercial reference.
wkadamsjr is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion