Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thunderuff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2014
So January last year I bought an iPod touch 5th gen. I LOVED it. I would take it everywhere, play all my favorite apps, watch TV, and who could forget about the music? That was, until September. Some relatives actually bought me a iPhone 5s, which was VERY nice of them. I soon was doing everything I was with the iPod touch with my iPhone, but even more. I only remember a glimpse of me putting it in a draw. Fast forward a few months, I decided to sell some stuff on eBay so I could get a PS4. I again looked in that draw, and saw the iPod. I completely forgot about it until that point. I felt like the iPhone ruined the point of having it. I can't decide for myself if I should keep it or sell it. I mean, is there any point of even having it? They both even have the same amount of gb! Thank you for reading.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
You don't regret buying it but rather can't find a use for it. I was the same way with my PowerBook for a while when I got my MacBook Pro. Either sell it or give it to a loved one. It is better than it becoming a rotten Apple in a drawer.

Dicholscrn

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2009
I consider myself pretty good at deciphering internet BB post most of the time. BUT, I read that 3 times before reading the first reply wondering wtf I was missing and what "draw" meant .

Jamesesesesess

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2011
Go ahead and sell it. If you forgot you even had it, there's no need for you to keep it when it can be extra cash.

Thunderuff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2014
I consider myself pretty good at deciphering internet BB post most of the time. BUT, I read that 3 times before reading the first reply wondering wtf I was missing and what "draw" meant .

Sorry, meant to say drawer, as in box or desk. Silly typo on my part.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
Ipod Touch serves as an entrance to IOS, typically Iphone, so its normal you find no use for it once you have the Iphone.

I used to own 3 ipod touch gen 4 and once i got my first Iphone, i never look back. Pretty expensive player at a price higher than some home gaming console.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
iPhone is essentially an always connected iPod Touch, so it makes sense that you no longer use it. My dad had a 4th gen Touch and completely stopped using after getting an iPhone.

The iPod Touch is essentially the entry point for many people to the iOS world, when they finally feel comfortable paying for a smartphone contract then the next logical step is the iPhone as you can continue doing everything you have been and more.

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
I went the other route from you. I have an iPhone 5 and was looking for a device I could load up some .flac files and I didn't want to overload my phone. BestBuy was running an openbox clearance event last month and I scored a 16gb iPod Touch 5th generation (ie. no camera version) for just $130.

At times I wonder exactly why I have both, but it is all about how you use the thing. I have separated out my usage so I feel pretty good about the purchase. At least it wasn't $229 or whatever the retail price is for the 16gb model.

serge2k

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2003
Long Island, NY
If you have no use for it sell it or give it to someone that will. I had the same situation but I found a use for my old iPod touch. It is now my car podcast/music player. I strictly only update it to listen to podcast/music while I drive. While I do have an iPhone I do not want to fill up the memory with podcasts/music.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
In hind sight if you knew you would be getting an iPhone, you probably wouldn't have bought the iPod touch, sure.

But you didn't know in advance right?

So what's there is regret?

Anyways I carry an iPod touch just my music. It's great since it doesn't kill my iPhone battery and I can dedicate all the space to my lossless music.

I also an iPod touch for my car and another for my stereo.

All good uses for the iPod. Just have to find one that suits you.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Hurry up and sell it today. Wait any longer it won't be worth anything at all.

This.

Or, if it's within your means, consider donating it to non-profit that works with kids. Maybe a Boys and Girls club, or a special needs school. They always have a use for this kind of stuff; what with so many great education apps.

na1577

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2008
I know the feeling. I switched from iOS to Windows Phone, but I bought an iPod touch as a supplement. It's nice to have, but it sits on my desk most of the time. It was a crutch while I transitioned to Windows Phone, but I have since adapted and no longer have a need for it.

It's possible to use both devices, as I used to do. I had both third generation iOS devices with the same capacity but I split up how I used them. But depending on your needs it might just be a waste. I would recommend selling it if you can longer make use of it.

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
I sold mine because I had no use for it..I won't pay that kind of money for a media device ever again.

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2012
So January last year I bought an iPod touch 5th gen. I LOVED it. I would take it everywhere, play all my favorite apps, watch TV, and who could forget about the music? That was, until September. Some relatives actually bought me a iPhone 5s, which was VERY nice of them. I soon was doing everything I was with the iPod touch with my iPhone, but even more. I only remember a glimpse of me putting it in a draw. Fast forward a few months, I decided to sell some stuff on eBay so I could get a PS4. I again looked in that draw, and saw the iPod. I completely forgot about it until that point. I felt like the iPhone ruined the point of having it. I can't decide for myself if I should keep it or sell it. I mean, is there any point of even having it? They both even have the same amount of gb! Thank you for reading.

My son got a iPhone 5 sold his iPod touch the same day. no brainer.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
So January last year I bought an iPod touch 5th gen. I LOVED it. I would take it everywhere, play all my favorite apps, watch TV, and who could forget about the music? That was, until September. Some relatives actually bought me a iPhone 5s

How is that regret? You clearly said that you enjoyed it until you got something better. It's not like you bought the iPod and it has been sitting in the drawer since you got it. It's only in there because you got a more useful device (phone and iPod in one).

Go ahead and sell it. It's really redundant to have both of those.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
I know the feeling. I switched from iOS to Windows Phone, but I bought an iPod touch as a supplement. It's nice to have, but it sits on my desk most of the time. It was a crutch while I transitioned to Windows Phone, but I have since adapted and no longer have a need for it.

It's possible to use both devices, as I used to do. I had both third generation iOS devices with the same capacity but I split up how I used them. But depending on your needs it might just be a waste. I would recommend selling it if you can longer make use of it.

:eek::eek::eek::eek:You bought a windows phone????? Why??????????:confused::confused::confused:

ghettochris

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2008
My son got a iPhone 5 sold his iPod touch the same day. no brainer.

not a no brainer. I have ipod touch and iphone, and use the ipod around the house or when i'm going places with wifi, and only grab the fat brick of a phone when I'm on the move. It feels like a 4 year old clunker compared to the 88 grams of the ipod touch, and if I always used my iphone around the house, i would never have it charged when I grab it to go. I almost want to sell the iphone and get a cheap prepaid phone and only have the iPod touch. Get a wifi brick if I really want internet where there is no wifi.

The ipod touch feels like star trek technology, the iphone does not.

Mechayoshi

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2014
The Mushroom Kingdom
If you like to keep a lot of high quality music files on you it could advantageous to keep so you don't use storage on your phone or use up battery. Otherwise it's a little redundant to own.

LadyX

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2012
I regret buying an IPod touch 5th gen.

I too have an iPod Touch 5th gen. that I don't use. I have an iPhone 5 and like you, I regret buying it. But unlike you, I already had an iPhone when I bought the iPod Touch. It's been months since I last used it. I don't sell stuff but if you want to sell your iPod Touch then do so as you don't think it's of any use after getting an iPhone.

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2012
not a no brainer. I have ipod touch and iphone, and use the ipod around the house or when i'm going places with wifi, and only grab the fat brick of a phone when I'm on the move. It feels like a 4 year old clunker compared to the 88 grams of the ipod touch, and if I always used my iphone around the house, i would never have it charged when I grab it to go. I almost want to sell the iphone and get a cheap prepaid phone and only have the iPod touch. Get a wifi brick if I really want internet where there is no wifi.

The ipod touch feels like star trek technology, the iphone does not.

Good for you:rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.