Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Waynec

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2009
I have a 2.0ghz G5 which is giving me a rather confusing problem if I can expand on this please.

I have two hard drives in the computer

1 x 500gb Seagate and 1 x 3tb Seagate Barracuda which I installed earlier this year, formatted to Extended Journalled, the second drive is just music storage, it has no operating system on at the current time, around 2.5tb of files. The mac is getting a little old now and I wished to remove the second hard drive and insert it into a Vantec Nexstar 3 USB/esata drive which apparently can take up to 4tb drives the model below is exactly the same model

http://www.vantecusa.com/en/product/view_detail/172

This is what I have done so far, removed the 3tb drive from the G5 which shows and works perfectly in the tower, inserted it into the caddy and then connected back to the G5 and powered everything up, after a minute or so it gives options such as " eject " or " need to initialise the drive ", the drive was already formatted by the computer which is now asking to initialise it??.

On looking in disc utility the drive is only showing as 750gb GUID partition , but if I take it from the caddy and replace in the G5 it shows as 2.7gb.

Any kind soul enlighten me as to what's happening or a remedy for this, I've read that the firmware on the Vantec may need updating?, but I cannot find any such links or information either on the net or on the rather poor vantec site.

Thanks in advance here's hoping

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
My guess would be to call the caddy's manufacturer. I would remove that drive before you touch that caddy though to prevent data corruption.

Waynec

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2009
Can anyone please help me find a link to update the firmware on the hard drive caddy , I need if possible a loader and updated firmware for the following chip

Sunplus SPIF 225A

I think then the computer will acknowledge the drive once the firmware has been updated, I cannot sadly find anything on the Vantec Website pertaining to this firmware or an upgrade.

Thanks.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I just thought of something. This particular model caddy is only SATA II. What hard drive is it and is there a Jumper on the pins? I don't think you are going to get far with a firmware upgrade for one of these to be honest. But the jumpers are easy to fix.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.