Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Anthony81586

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 15, 2011
So I'm getting ready to build my home office and I'd love to have a Thunderbolt Display and all Mac periph's but the current 27" seems to big for my space. I'd like something smaller in the lower 20's would be nice. Obviously this is pure speculation but what do you think the chances are that apple has multiple sizes with their next update to the TBD? I'm trying to hold out but I might just get something smaller and cheaper. Any thoughts??

Thanks!

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Well they have discontinued their 20", 24"' and 30" models in favor of the 27" so I'd say it's extremely unlikely.

Commy1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2013
I wouldn't build the entire area around the 27" display. Do some research of some other IPS displays that may be smaller by other brands.

The most likely update with the TBD will be a redesign to the slimmed down version similar to the iMacs with some updated internals but staying the same 27". The unlikely possibility is that it stays at the 27" size but gets 4K resolution with a Retina panel. Or it'll get bigger and stick with the current panel except 4K size.

CH12671

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2013
Southern US
I'm unaware of any monitor under 27 inches that is 1560 x 1440. I'd sure like to see it get slimmer, I'm really not sure why that hasn't happened yet.

RoastingPig

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2012
SoCal
i think the 4k monitor wont come out until every laptop in the apple lineup is able to use it. imagine having a 4k monitor at the apple store and 75 year old abe walks buy and says oh this is nice and the apple guy has to say you cant use it with anything except the mac pro..apple wont make the new cinema display untill the air and macbook pro can drive the new thunderbolt display in 4k at 60 hertz

thedeske

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2013
So I'm getting ready to build my home office and I'd love to have a Thunderbolt Display and all Mac periph's but the current 27" seems to big for my space. I'd like something smaller in the lower 20's would be nice. Obviously this is pure speculation but what do you think the chances are that apple has multiple sizes with their next update to the TBD? I'm trying to hold out but I might just get something smaller and cheaper. Any thoughts??

Thanks!

If height is the problem, you can mount one on a VESA desk stand. I did this once to fit an opening of 18 5/8. The base of the screen was about 3/4 to 1 inch off the desk, but it worked out well for the client. The ability to rotate was handy.

Chances are, the new one (if it ever comes) will have a "No Stand" option like the current iMacs.

If a 24 is all you need, just get a Dell U series and be done with it.

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
i think the 4k monitor wont come out until every laptop in the apple lineup is able to use it. imagine having a 4k monitor at the apple store and 75 year old abe walks buy and says oh this is nice and the apple guy has to say you cant use it with anything except the mac pro..apple wont make the new cinema display untill the air and macbook pro can drive the new thunderbolt display in 4k at 60 hertz

Thats a non-issue because most 75 year olds will crank the resolution down to 600 x 800.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.