Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Feb 6, 2014, 03:20 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Representative Appears at Senate Hearing on Distracted Driving

Apple's director of Federal Government Affairs appeared at a daylong summit for the U.S. Senate Committee on Commerce, Science and Transportation to discuss distracted driving. A number of other executives appeared at the session as well, including representatives from Google, Samsung, AT&T, Sprint, Toyota, General Motors, and more.

The summit, a multi-part roundtable discussion called "Over-Connected and Behind the Wheel: A Summit on Technological Solutions to Distracted Driving", will look at what manufacturers, OS makers, carriers, and car companies can do to decrease distracted driving.
Quote:
On Thursday, February 6, 2014, at 10:00 a.m., U.S. Senate Committee on Commerce, Science and Transportation Chairman John D. (Jay) Rockefeller IV will host a daylong summit titled, "Over-Connected and Behind the Wheel: A Summit on Technological Solutions to Distracted Driving". The meeting will explore how technology can be used to minimize distracted driving, which has become a major public safety concern in recent years. With the explosive growth of cellphones and smartphones, and the increasing levels of online connectivity available to people at all times, more drivers are tempted to stay connected in their cars.
In the final discussion, Senator Jay Rockefeller IV will issue "a public challenge" to all parties to "collaborate and build more robust technological solutions to distracted driving".

The Committee has posted video of the discussion on its website.

Article Link: Apple Representative Appears at Senate Hearing on Distracted Driving
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2014, 05:12 PM   #2
The Doctor11
macrumors 68040

Yay safer driving. Wonder what they will think of iOS in the car...
The Doctor11 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2014, 05:16 PM   #3
roadbloc
macrumors 604

Send a message via Skype™ to roadbloc
iOS in the car probably doesn't help one bit.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 05:50 PM   #4
Parasprite
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor11 View Post
Yay safer driving. Wonder what they will think of iOS in the car...
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadbloc View Post
Tongue-in-cheek aside, it is actually fairly beneficial for Apple to know more about what safety aspects people are worried about and the efficacy of alternative methods when using the technology (normal iOS vs. Siri controls, simplified music app with bigger fonts, etc.).

If people are going to do it anyways, you might as well work to make it as safe as possible.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 07:37 PM   #5
Consultant
macrumors G5

Siri works great handsfree in the car for me for 2+ years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadbloc View Post
If you hate Apple and its products so much why are you here?
Consultant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2014, 07:51 PM   #6
Galagor
Banned

iOS in the Car will hopefully make it less annoying to use an iPhone in the car. Siri has proven its usefulness in the car since I can ask for directions and control my music without even moving my eyes.

Now if only it would actually work every time instead of saying "I'm really sorry about this, but I can't take any requests right now" when I have full bars of LTE. Why does it need to connect to the Internet anyway to play my playlists?!?!
Galagor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2014, 02:13 AM   #7
roadbloc
macrumors 604

Send a message via Skype™ to roadbloc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Consultant View Post
Where did I say I hated Apple products?
Old Feb 7, 2014, 06:04 AM   #8
Cuban Missles
macrumors 6502a

From what I understand the M chip in the iPhone can tell if you are driving, walking or stationary. Therefore it seems like it is possible for texting and other distractions to be turned off while driving. Obviously, I am speculating, but what if you had a setting called safe driver? It would essentially leave only Siri as an interface on while driving. That way you still have access to most features while eliminating the distracting features.

The technology is there, and apple is the company that can figure out how to make this al work perfectly.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 06:38 AM   #9
Gasu E.
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Consultant View Post
If you feel everyone needs to agree on everything, why do you risk communicating with other people?
Old Feb 7, 2014, 06:54 AM   #10
Septembersrain
macrumors 6502

My Android communicates well with my cars Bluetooth. Does what I need it to. I just want my iPhone to be able to do the same. I think auto manufacturers need to make their equipment compatible across all smartphone lines.
Septembersrain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2014, 07:16 AM   #11
Curun
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Septembersrain View Post
My Android communicates well with my cars Bluetooth. Does what I need it to. I just want my iPhone to be able to do the same. I think auto manufacturers need to make their equipment compatible across all smartphone lines.
My iPhone communicates great with my Pioneer Bluetooth headunit. I've seen it work great in Kias, Nissans, and Subaru systems as well.

What do you have that doesn't work with your iPhone and Bluetooth?
Curun is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2014, 09:10 AM   #12
Septembersrain
macrumors 6502

I've got a 13' Toyota Yaris. It does work but it never connects automatically and sometimes the connection fails.
Septembersrain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2014, 11:18 AM   #13
dysamoria
macrumors 6502

Why not get rid of those ridiculous and DANGEROUSLY DISTRACTING animated light up billboards????

Oh we can't curtail ADVERTISING, right?
dysamoria is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2014, 11:57 AM   #14
ptb42
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuban Missles View Post
From what I understand the M chip in the iPhone can tell if you are driving, walking or stationary. Therefore it seems like it is possible for texting and other distractions to be turned off while driving.
If my wife is driving and I'm sitting in the passenger seat beside her, is my texting a distraction for her? How do you propose that the M chip will be able to tell the difference?
ptb42 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2014, 01:12 PM   #15
Cuban Missles
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptb42 View Post
If my wife is driving and I'm sitting in the passenger seat beside her, is my texting a distraction for her? How do you propose that the M chip will be able to tell the difference?
If you would have quoted me a bit further you would have noted that I suggested a switch (something in settings to turn on and off) to enable or disable the feature. Clearly, if you are a passenger in the car, or if you are riding a train or a bus, you would want this feature turned off.

Your next complaint I could anticipate is, "well then everyone will simply turn this off making the feature useless." And yes you would be correct. I can only speculate, as I did before, that to make this useful, it would default to "on" and turning it off would only be temporary and that the feature would somehow turn it self back on at some point.

Boy this is just vague enough that I think I can patten this idea
Old Feb 8, 2014, 01:00 PM   #16
gnasher729
macrumors G5

Quote:
Simple: Point the camera at the face of the driver from a distance of more than one meter + some clever software that can recognise a person in a driver's seat. Assuming that you wouldn't be mad enough to point the camera at your wife and then hand the phone over to her.
gnasher729 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2014, 04:07 PM   #17
thekev
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysamoria View Post
Why not get rid of those ridiculous and DANGEROUSLY DISTRACTING animated light up billboards????

Oh we can't curtail ADVERTISING, right?
I would love to see an end to all billboards. I understand the desire to attract customers to exit at a certain spot, but it's ridiculous to set up legal distractions when drivers are supposed to be focused at all times.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 09:21 AM   #18
carlgo
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Here is an idea: no texting in a car, period, while it is moving, by anyone. Yes, it would be sad not to be able to text as that is such an important thing to do in life, but with therapy one could get through this.

Might have to look up, engage with people, see the scenery or other dull things just like people with a life do.

Of course you could pull over and text occasionally so others don't think you aren't kool or whatever.
carlgo is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion