Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Feb 6, 2014, 06:01 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Minimalistic Puzzle Game 'Threes' From Developer of 'Puzzlejuice' Now Available

Threes! is a simple puzzle game that's easy to pick up but difficult to master. Made by Greg Wohlwend and Asher Vollmer, developers that have been behind some popular apps like Puzzlejuice, Hundreds, and Ridiculous Fishing, Threes!' gameplay can be distilled down into a single easy-to-grasp concept: combine blocks in factors of three to create ever increasing numbers.

Gameplay consists of sliding numbered blocks onto one another to form higher numbers, but some important rules turn an easy concept into a challenging puzzle. Only like numbers can combine together, for instance, 3 and 3, to form a 6, which can then only combine with another 6. 1 and 2 are limited to combining with each other.

Each slide produces additional numbers on the board, and the idea is to continually clear numbers by combining them, because the game ends when the board is full. Our sister site TouchArcade has published a review of Threes!, essentially calling it simple, accessible, and well-designed.

Quote:
Games of Threes! quickly escalate to an epic dance of block management, as much like the classic puzzlers we grew up on, you're given a hint of what's coming next in the form of a red "2" block, a blue "1" block, or a white numbered block. When you slide the blocks in a direction, whatever block is next slides in from the opposite direction, leaving you with a shocking amount of things to consider each time you place your thumb on the screen.

For each flawless movement, without some intense analysis, there's also an equal chance that you'll accidentally make an unintended combination and in turn wind up with a block you can't immediately using junking up one side of the game board.
TouchArcade gives Threes! five stars and says that it is "about as close as it gets to a perfect mobile game." The site has also posted a TA Plays video depicting the gameplay.

Threes! is a universal app that can be downloaded from the App Store for $1.99. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Minimalistic Puzzle Game 'Threes' From Developer of 'Puzzlejuice' Now Available
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2014, 06:12 PM   #2
taptic
macrumors 65816

I don't understand... yes, it looks like a nice game and it got some good reviews, but is this such big news that it deserves to be posted here? I don't get all these posts about games...
Old Feb 6, 2014, 06:22 PM   #3
Mick-Mac
macrumors member

Thumbs down

This is just an ad dressed up as a rumor/story
Mick-Mac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2014, 06:26 PM   #4
garylapointe
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick-Mac View Post
I've been wondering about these kinds of posts too.

Or is it just the new apps that bother to send a press release to MacRumors? (seems like that number would be way higher).

Or is it apps with high reviews? (Aha, interesting apps with high reviews from sister site).

Gary

Last edited by garylapointe; Feb 6, 2014 at 06:31 PM. Reason: the Aha answer from the editor in post 5.
garylapointe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2014, 06:27 PM   #5
jclo
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick-Mac View Post
Nope. We (editors) share content that we find interesting and that we think other people might find interesting as well. Threes! is a game that I personally have been playing and a game that our sister site TouchArcade has ranked highly, which is why I shared it here.
jclo is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2014, 06:27 PM   #6
drewyboy
macrumors 6502a

This one in particular seems to be making the rounds in quite a few tech sites. At first I thought it was legit that a blogger just thought it was a good game but seem multiple just flat it shows they bought these posts up.
drewyboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2014, 06:29 PM   #7
jclo
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by garylapointe View Post
I've been wondering about these kinds of posts too.

Or is it just the new apps that bother to send a press release to MacRumors? (seems like that number would be way higher).

Gary
We only share things we find interesting and that get a lot of attention from other sources as well. Threes! is a game from a set of developers that have produced some very well-known games.

If we were sharing new apps that we received press releases for, you would see non-stop posts!
jclo is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2014, 06:35 PM   #8
jlgolson
Editor

Send a message via AIM to jlgolson
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewyboy View Post
This one in particular seems to be making the rounds in quite a few tech sites. At first I thought it was legit that a blogger just thought it was a good game but seem multiple just flat it shows they bought these posts up.
We do not accept sponsored postings but if we did it would be disclosed prominently.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 02:52 AM   #9
stridemat

Just downloaded and it seems like a good commuter game!

Fun game.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 03:03 AM   #10
Jessica Lares
macrumors 604

Puzzlejuice was a lot of fun. I really enjoyed it. I like the whole gist of Threes, added it to my wish list to buy later.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 05:39 AM   #11
LadyX
macrumors Demi-Goddess

I have it on my iPhone. It's decent.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 07:37 AM   #12
jacobtaylor1987
macrumors newbie

Minimalistic is not a word. The word is minimalist.
jacobtaylor1987 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2014, 11:36 AM   #13
milo
macrumors 603

Thanks for the recommendation. Hundreds is a great game, I'll have to check this one out too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobtaylor1987 View Post
Minimalistic is not a word. The word is minimalist.
Quote:
adjective (also minimalistic)
milo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2014, 01:04 PM   #14
critter13
macrumors regular

Quit complaining

I dont understand how people still complain about apps or products having a story and claiming they are ads. Some of the best apps, or best deals on apps, I have downloaded have been from a "story" on here. I would rather have read about a new interesting game or app than read super sketchy rumors, it keeps the site fresh and the editors seem have pretty good judgement so why not??
Old Feb 8, 2014, 08:44 PM   #15
jacobtaylor1987
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by milo View Post
adjective
Minimalist is already an adjective. Adding the "ic" is like making an adjective out of an adjective!
jacobtaylor1987 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2014, 02:04 PM   #16
td241
macrumors newbie

What's with all the ********? Complain about flappy bird instead. Threes is a really great game.
td241 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2014, 04:03 PM   #17
Jessica Lares
macrumors 604

Just bought it. It's a lovely game. It has those special touches that only a really artistic developer would do (music, names given to numbers as if they were characters, and the confetti when you make a new high score). The gameplay is simple, but challenging. My highest score this far is 999.

I'm not a fan of casual games, but this is a nice exception.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 11:16 AM   #18
milo
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobtaylor1987 View Post
Minimalist is already an adjective. Adding the "ic" is like making an adjective out of an adjective!
Just passing along the dictionary's take.
milo is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion