Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Feb 6, 2014, 06:50 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Wal-Mart Offering New 16GB Wi-Fi iPad 2 for $299

Walmart is offering the iPad 2 for $299 in-store or online, a savings of $100. The discount applies to new 16GB Wi-Fi models in black or white and, according to CNET, the sale will run for thirty days.

The iPad 2 was first released in 2011 but Apple has continued to sell it for a discounted price as many educational and business customers have opted for the cheaper full-screen iPad, and it is the only iPad that Apple sells that has the legacy thirty-pin connector.

The original-generation iPad mini has been available for the $299 price as well since the Retina model was introduced back in October. It has the same processor and a smaller screen than the iPad 2, though with an identical resolution.

Article Link: Wal-Mart Offering New 16GB Wi-Fi iPad 2 for $299
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2014, 06:52 PM   #2
Carlanga
macrumors 603

iPad 2 should be $99 by now, at the most $199
Old Feb 6, 2014, 06:56 PM   #3
Parasprite
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlanga View Post
iPad 2 should be $99 by now, at the most $199
If they did that, they would run out of stock and have lost a lot of money on manufacturing for nothing. Kind of a silly thing to do when people are still actively purchasing it.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 06:57 PM   #4
HiRez
macrumors 601

Seems insane to me that people are still buying iPad 2s, even at a discount. You're buying something that's pretty much already obsolete out of the box, how well is is going to work 1, 2, 3 years down the line? I kept my iPad 1 for over 2.5 years and while it still worked, it was really struggling towards the end (poor battery life, many apps are slow or can't run at all, can't run the latest OS). And that was with a brand new model.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 06:57 PM   #5
levitynyc
macrumors 6502a

Still $100 overpriced. Seriously, the iPad 2 is almost 3 years old.

It should be no more than $199.

Anyone that buys one for $399 is out of their friggin mind.
levitynyc is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2014, 07:06 PM   #6
wordoflife
macrumors 604

Let it die already.
wordoflife is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2014, 07:09 PM   #7
Spectrum Abuser
macrumors 65816

If Walmart starts a sale on the original iPad Mini for $199 I'm sold. I could definitely live without the retina display for $200 in savings.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 07:12 PM   #8
Tankmaze
macrumors 65816

I own an iPad 2. even I wouldn't recommend this product when my family and friends asked about it. it is too old.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 07:15 PM   #9
alent1234
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiRez View Post
Seems insane to me that people are still buying iPad 2s, even at a discount. You're buying something that's pretty much already obsolete out of the box, how well is is going to work 1, 2, 3 years down the line? I kept my iPad 1 for over 2.5 years and while it still worked, it was really struggling towards the end (poor battery life, many apps are slow or can't run at all, can't run the latest OS). And that was with a brand new model.
as a kindle reader, pdf reader and a few other tasks, just fine
alent1234 is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2014, 07:33 PM   #10
snebes
macrumors 6502

Is this new stock, or old stock that Walmart is clearing out? I can't imagine them restocking on the iPad 2 in the last 2 years.
snebes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2014, 07:46 PM   #11
7thMac
macrumors 6502

I have a 2 from 2011. Everything still runs well. But $299 doesn't make sense given that the current models are so much better.
7thMac is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2014, 07:56 PM   #12
Diode
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to Diode
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiRez View Post
I've had mine since launch day and it's still better then what I bought it for: browsing and the occasional email. Crappy since I want to upgrade but can't justify it since it still works so well :-/
Diode is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2014, 08:24 PM   #13
Carlanga
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parasprite View Post
If they did that, they would run out of stock and have lost a lot of money on manufacturing for nothing. Kind of a silly thing to do when people are still actively purchasing it.
Not really, it could be like the iPod touch were margins are less than their norm of ~45% margin. It's an entrance item to the apple ecosystem for you to then buy the other products.
$299 for an iPad 2 is for suckers IMO.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 08:54 PM   #14
FelixDerKater
macrumors 68000

iPad 2 belongs in the overstock discount store with the discount brands by this point.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 03:59 AM   #15
Shasta McNasty
macrumors 6502a

No idea why this iPad is still even being sold....
Old Feb 7, 2014, 06:19 AM   #16
Alphabetize
macrumors 6502

I was surprised that Apple kept the iPad 2 at the introduction of the iPad (4th gen.) I would have figured at the very least they would have put the iPad (3rd gen.) in the place of the 2 like they do with the iPhones.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 07:01 AM   #17
ptb42
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankmaze View Post
I own an iPad 2. even I wouldn't recommend this product when my family and friends asked about it. it is too old.
My wife and I both have an iPad 2. For how we use them, it's fine. However, I wouldn't buy one now -- especially at $299. Lower it to $199 or even $149, and I might buy a couple more (as gifts).

I understand why Apple continues to sell them. I don't know if they continue to make them or if they are just selling out remaining stock. But, since the iPad 2 was the last one before the retina display was introduced for the iPad, I suspect it's less expensive to manufacture.

Back in 2011, the parts cost for an iPad 2 was estimated at $270 or $320, depending on who you believe. However, this was for an model that also worked on the AT&T or Verizon network. I'm sure those prices have come down, but I don't know if they are low enough to support a $199 price.
ptb42 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2014, 07:39 AM   #18
Tiger8
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectrum Abuser View Post
If Walmart starts a sale on the original iPad Mini for $199 I'm sold. I could definitely live without the retina display for $200 in savings.
Last week there was a promo for a refurb iPad mini for $199, very tempted but couldn't justify, already have an iPad
Tiger8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2014, 07:56 AM   #19
cdmoore74
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diode View Post
I've had mine since launch day and it's still better then what I bought it for: browsing and the occasional email. Crappy since I want to upgrade but can't justify it since it still works so well :-/
Key phrase being that you bought it on launch day and it has lasted you since March 2011. It's almost 3 years old now and at the ridiculous price of $299 it has to be one of the worst buys for any tablet if your in the market. And lets not forget that this is the sale price. It's not even a permanent price drop by Apple.
cdmoore74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2014, 08:57 AM   #20
dukeblue219
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shasta McNasty View Post
No idea why this iPad is still even being sold....
It's being sold because people are still buying it, even at $399. I think the question we're all meaning to ask is "why are people buying it?"

I think the answer is generally just technical ignorance. Not in a "you're an idiot way" but just the fact that the average consumer doesn't know much about the iPads beyond "$499 for Air or $399 for a heavier model without Retina."

Obviously from our perspective it's silly -- a refurb 4th gen would be far better, as would a retina Mini. Or, for that matter, if they insist on a lower-cost tablet a Nexus 7 or something like that would feel a whole lot faster than the 2.
dukeblue219 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2014, 09:11 AM   #21
cajun67
macrumors member

I think the iPad 2 still has a large market; but, I think it's overpriced by $200. It's amazing that Apple thinks that the iPad Air, which is three generations newer, is only worth $100 more than the iPad 2.
cajun67 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2014, 09:30 AM   #22
Rodster
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajun67 View Post
I think the iPad 2 still has a large market; but, I think it's overpriced by $200. It's amazing that Apple thinks that the iPad Air, which is three generations newer, is only worth $100 more than the iPad 2.
I agree but a fair price would be $159. I have an iPad 2 and it runs iOS 7 surprisingly well. I have a 3 year old Samsung Galaxy Tab that's essentially worthless. My iPad 2 is still fully functional and have no problems running most of the apps.
Rodster is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2014, 09:43 AM   #23
TXCherokee
macrumors regular

Apple is still making them because they are still fulfilling contracts they have to supply them to schools. They're still selling them in public because people are still buying them.

At $299 the iPad 2 is a good deal. It's in a better system then any other tablet out there and runs most of the software pretty well. I have an Air, a 4, and a 2 in my house and while there is definitely some advantages to using the newer models, our 3-year old iPad 2 is FAR from unusable.
TXCherokee is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2014, 12:26 PM   #24
ElectronGuru
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukeblue219 View Post
It's being sold because people are still buying it, even at $399. I think the question we're all meaning to ask is "why are people buying it?"
Most of the examples that I've seen are third-party purchases: gifts / employees / students. The people who end up using them are not the people who made the decision of which one to buy.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 12:28 PM   #25
nickdylan
macrumors regular

Still too much. I hope they finally knock the 2 out of the lineup with this new refresh.
nickdylan is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion