Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

walmartlogo.png
Walmart is offering the iPad 2 for $299 in-store or online, a savings of $100. The discount applies to new 16GB Wi-Fi models in black or white and, according to CNET, the sale will run for thirty days.

The iPad 2 was first released in 2011 but Apple has continued to sell it for a discounted price as many educational and business customers have opted for the cheaper full-screen iPad, and it is the only iPad that Apple sells that has the legacy thirty-pin connector.

The original-generation iPad mini has been available for the $299 price as well since the Retina model was introduced back in October. It has the same processor and a smaller screen than the iPad 2, though with an identical resolution.

Article Link: Wal-Mart Offering New 16GB Wi-Fi iPad 2 for $299

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
iPad 2 should be $99 by now, at the most $199

If they did that, they would run out of stock and have lost a lot of money on manufacturing for nothing. Kind of a silly thing to do when people are still actively purchasing it.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Seems insane to me that people are still buying iPad 2s, even at a discount. You're buying something that's pretty much already obsolete out of the box, how well is is going to work 1, 2, 3 years down the line? I kept my iPad 1 for over 2.5 years and while it still worked, it was really struggling towards the end (poor battery life, many apps are slow or can't run at all, can't run the latest OS). And that was with a brand new model.

levitynyc

macrumors 65816
Aug 19, 2006
Still $100 overpriced. Seriously, the iPad 2 is almost 3 years old.

It should be no more than $199.

Anyone that buys one for $399 is out of their friggin mind.

Spectrum Abuser

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2011
If Walmart starts a sale on the original iPad Mini for $199 I'm sold. I could definitely live without the retina display for $200 in savings.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
I own an iPad 2. even I wouldn't recommend this product when my family and friends asked about it. it is too old.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
Seems insane to me that people are still buying iPad 2s, even at a discount. You're buying something that's pretty much already obsolete out of the box, how well is is going to work 1, 2, 3 years down the line? I kept my iPad 1 for over 2.5 years and while it still worked, it was really struggling towards the end (poor battery life, many apps are slow or can't run at all, can't run the latest OS). And that was with a brand new model.

as a kindle reader, pdf reader and a few other tasks, just fine

snebes

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2008
Is this new stock, or old stock that Walmart is clearing out? I can't imagine them restocking on the iPad 2 in the last 2 years.

7thMac

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2010
I have a 2 from 2011. Everything still runs well. But $299 doesn't make sense given that the current models are so much better.

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC

I've had mine since launch day and it's still better then what I bought it for: browsing and the occasional email. Crappy since I want to upgrade but can't justify it since it still works so well :-/

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
If they did that, they would run out of stock and have lost a lot of money on manufacturing for nothing. Kind of a silly thing to do when people are still actively purchasing it.

Not really, it could be like the iPod touch were margins are less than their norm of ~45% margin. It's an entrance item to the apple ecosystem for you to then buy the other products.
$299 for an iPad 2 is for suckers IMO.

Alphabetize

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2013
I was surprised that Apple kept the iPad 2 at the introduction of the iPad (4th gen.) I would have figured at the very least they would have put the iPad (3rd gen.) in the place of the 2 like they do with the iPhones.

ptb42

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011
I own an iPad 2. even I wouldn't recommend this product when my family and friends asked about it. it is too old.

My wife and I both have an iPad 2. For how we use them, it's fine. However, I wouldn't buy one now -- especially at $299. Lower it to $199 or even $149, and I might buy a couple more (as gifts).

I understand why Apple continues to sell them. I don't know if they continue to make them or if they are just selling out remaining stock. But, since the iPad 2 was the last one before the retina display was introduced for the iPad, I suspect it's less expensive to manufacture.

Back in 2011, the parts cost for an iPad 2 was estimated at $270 or $320, depending on who you believe. However, this was for an model that also worked on the AT&T or Verizon network. I'm sure those prices have come down, but I don't know if they are low enough to support a $199 price.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
If Walmart starts a sale on the original iPad Mini for $199 I'm sold. I could definitely live without the retina display for $200 in savings.

Last week there was a promo for a refurb iPad mini for $199, very tempted but couldn't justify, already have an iPad

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
I've had mine since launch day and it's still better then what I bought it for: browsing and the occasional email. Crappy since I want to upgrade but can't justify it since it still works so well :-/

Key phrase being that you bought it on launch day and it has lasted you since March 2011. It's almost 3 years old now and at the ridiculous price of $299 it has to be one of the worst buys for any tablet if your in the market. And lets not forget that this is the sale price. It's not even a permanent price drop by Apple.

dukeblue219

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2012
No idea why this iPad is still even being sold....

It's being sold because people are still buying it, even at $399. I think the question we're all meaning to ask is "why are people buying it?"

I think the answer is generally just technical ignorance. Not in a "you're an idiot way" but just the fact that the average consumer doesn't know much about the iPads beyond "$499 for Air or $399 for a heavier model without Retina."

Obviously from our perspective it's silly -- a refurb 4th gen would be far better, as would a retina Mini. Or, for that matter, if they insist on a lower-cost tablet a Nexus 7 or something like that would feel a whole lot faster than the 2.

cajun67

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2011
I think the iPad 2 still has a large market; but, I think it's overpriced by $200. It's amazing that Apple thinks that the iPad Air, which is three generations newer, is only worth $100 more than the iPad 2.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
I think the iPad 2 still has a large market; but, I think it's overpriced by $200. It's amazing that Apple thinks that the iPad Air, which is three generations newer, is only worth $100 more than the iPad 2.

I agree but a fair price would be $159. I have an iPad 2 and it runs iOS 7 surprisingly well. I have a 3 year old Samsung Galaxy Tab that's essentially worthless. My iPad 2 is still fully functional and have no problems running most of the apps.

TXCherokee

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2012
Apple is still making them because they are still fulfilling contracts they have to supply them to schools. They're still selling them in public because people are still buying them.

At $299 the iPad 2 is a good deal. It's in a better system then any other tablet out there and runs most of the software pretty well. I have an Air, a 4, and a 2 in my house and while there is definitely some advantages to using the newer models, our 3-year old iPad 2 is FAR from unusable.

ElectronGuru

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2013
Oregon, USA
It's being sold because people are still buying it, even at $399. I think the question we're all meaning to ask is "why are people buying it?"

Most of the examples that I've seen are third-party purchases: gifts / employees / students. The people who end up using them are not the people who made the decision of which one to buy.

nickdylan

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2012
Still too much. I hope they finally knock the 2 out of the lineup with this new refresh.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.