Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 6, 2014, 10:58 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Tim Cook Says Apple Working on 'Some Really Great Stuff' in New Product Categories

Apple will launch products in new categories and the company is working on "really great stuff", according to an interview with CEO Tim Cook in The Wall Street Journal this evening.

He demurred when asked about specific possible products, but said anyone "reasonable" would consider Apple's upcoming products to be in new categories.

Cook has said on prior occasions that new product categories are coming for Apple in 2014 and, with this interview, he is likely looking to encourage spooked investors that Apple is still focused on growth.

Cook said in the interview that Apple remains a "growth company" and has significant opportunities in existing products as well as new ones. In addition, Apple strives to be the number one smartphone, tablet, and computer maker in the world.
Quote:
He said his statement that Apple doesn't aim to make the most phones has been misunderstood.

"I don't view that as being satisfied with being small or however you want to define it," he said. "I just want to say that the macro thing for us is making a great product and we must do that. If we can't do that, we're not going to force ourselves to hit a price point that makes us produce a product that we're not proud of because we lose who we are in that. We're not going to do that."
Apple executives have repeatedly said that they are only interested in making the best products in the world, not generating revenue for revenue's sake. Tim Cook has previously said that Apple is "focused on making great products that enrich lives" and that the company is "deeply committed to doing this and maniacally focused on it." He said last month that innovation is "deeply embedded" at the company and that Apple has "no issue" coming up with new ideas.

Elsewhere in the interview Cook revealed that Apple has repurchased $14 billion in stock over the past two weeks, and that the company is open to making large acquisitions if it makes sense.

Article Link: Tim Cook Says Apple Working on 'Some Really Great Stuff' in New Product Categories
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2014, 02:21 AM   #2
macfacts
macrumors 6502

Every year the same story.
macfacts is offline   44 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2014, 02:22 AM   #3
macnisse
macrumors 6502

Ok Tim, bring it.
macnisse is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2014, 02:27 AM   #4
Serban
macrumors 68030

Nice
Serban is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2014, 02:30 AM   #5
iMcLovin
macrumors 65816

Indeed, same thing he says every year. Could mean ANYTHING. I mean the line "we are working on some great new stuff" from Tim Cook means nothing more than saying its gonna be sunny some day.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 02:37 AM   #6
ronwasserman
macrumors regular

Like a watch? Or a bigger iPad? Or a bigger iPhone? Or a new OS? Or a new IOS?

That would be a shock.
ronwasserman is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2014, 02:41 AM   #7
osaga
macrumors 6502

14 billion in the last two weeks? So that's why it kept bouncing off the $500 mark, up when the rest of the tech sector was down 1-3%.
osaga is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2014, 02:45 AM   #8
ahlsn
macrumors member

Just take my money!
ahlsn is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2014, 02:49 AM   #9
Jsameds
macrumors 6502a

Am I the only one who read "really great stuff" in Tim's accent?
Jsameds is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2014, 02:55 AM   #10
ZOZO5
Banned

Tim's choices of words never get me as excited as Steve's did... He really is quite boring. Great choice for COO, not so much for CEO.
ZOZO5 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2014, 03:04 AM   #11
brianb568
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsameds View Post
Am I the only one who read "really great stuff" in Tim's accent?
Nope. :P
brianb568 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2014, 03:08 AM   #12
Ddyracer
macrumors 68000

i hate when he says this. is this going to become a every year thing?

My mom said, "Cook more talk less" i agree.
Ddyracer is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2014, 03:55 AM   #13
Sir Ruben
macrumors 65816

I have a lot of respect for Tim, but this isnt news. Tim ALWAYS says great things are coming, its a standard reply that he gives in interviews and I dont think it warrants an article.

If Tim is all about making great products rather than lots of different products how about he fixes Safari in iOS7 so that it doesnt crash all the time? I think that would be a good place to start because to be honest its bugging me to the point where my excitement for new products like the iWatch are fading. See, I dont have a problem with shelling out much more cash than I should for Apple's premium products, however I do have a problem when they most basic of functions dont work properly.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 03:56 AM   #14
everything-i
macrumors 6502a

Well what do they expect him to say, 'We have no idea what we are doing now and Jony Ive just sits in a bar drinking all day with the rest of the design team.' Of course they are working on new stuff and I'm pretty sure they think its great otherwise they wouldn't be working on it.
everything-i is offline   16 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2014, 04:03 AM   #15
BvizioN
macrumors 68020

Send a message via Skype™ to BvizioN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddyracer View Post
i hate when he says this. is this going to become a every year thing?

My mom said, "Cook more talk less" i agree.
I could be wrong but I don't recall him being specific as to when these new category products will arrive. He says 'Apple is working on some really great stuff' which could very well be the truth, and knowing Apple, they take their time (usually several years) working on a new category product.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 04:03 AM   #16
Sir Ruben
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by everything-i View Post
Well what do they expect him to say, 'We have no idea what we are doing now and Jony Ive just sits in a bar drinking all day with the rest of the design team.' Of course they are working on new stuff and I'm pretty sure they think its great otherwise they wouldn't be working on it.
I know. Its stating the obvious really isnt it?
Old Feb 7, 2014, 04:18 AM   #17
Nozuka
macrumors 6502

Quote:
was going to write almost the same thing.
must be nice, when anything you say is news worthy
Nozuka is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2014, 04:23 AM   #18
TC03
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
This seems to be a typical working day for Jony since Forstall left.

Last edited by TC03; Feb 7, 2014 at 04:31 AM.
TC03 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2014, 04:24 AM   #19
NutsNGum
macrumors 68030

"If we can't do that, we're not going to force ourselves to hit a price point that makes us produce a product that we're not proud of because we lose who we are in that. We're not going to do that."

Hello iPhone 5C.

Also, how often does tim cook use the words "proud" and "products".

There's a drinking game for ya at Keynotes.
NutsNGum is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2014, 04:24 AM   #20
Supermule
macrumors regular

A ()-hairdryer maybe?
Supermule is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2014, 04:30 AM   #21
TC03
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutsNGum View Post
"If we can't do that, we're not going to force ourselves to hit a price point that makes us produce a product that we're not proud of because we lose who we are in that. We're not going to do that."

Hello iPhone 5C.

Also, how often does tim cook use the words "proud" and "products".

There's a drinking game for ya at Keynotes.
Add in 'drink the whole bottle when Cook says "only Apple could have done it"' and you're golden.

But to be honest, the 5C didn't hit a new price point, so Cook's comment was right.
TC03 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2014, 04:37 AM   #22
Chris5488
macrumors regular

Tim keeps on saying that line... afraid the public/media is going to shout again Apple "can't innovate anymore"? Keeping them eagerly waiting for the next big thing?

When this kind of questions are asked during interviews, he should ignore them or refuse to answer them. That'll keep the media/public even more interested! It would be much more mind-blowing if we didn't knew anything at all, when suddenly there's a "One more thing" at the conference that'll surprises us like Jobs always did. Now we know "really great stuff" is coming and we'll be eagerly waiting for it at conferences, while rumoring the boldest ideas, to be eventually disappointed...
Chris5488 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2014, 04:37 AM   #23
o0smoothies0o
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BvizioN View Post
I could be wrong but I don't recall him being specific as to when these new category products will arrive. He says 'Apple is working on some really great stuff' which could very well be the truth, and knowing Apple, they take their time (usually several years) working on a new category product.
Yeah because they just started working on the iWatch....hahaha are you for real?
o0smoothies0o is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2014, 04:40 AM   #24
BvizioN
macrumors 68020

Send a message via Skype™ to BvizioN
Quote:
Originally Posted by o0smoothies0o View Post
Yeah because they just started working on the iWatch....hahaha are you for real?
Well then...enlighten us genius "for real"
When did they exactly start working on the iWatch? You seem to know something the rest of us dont!
Old Feb 7, 2014, 04:40 AM   #25
numlock
macrumors 65816

Quote:
personally i dont expect him to be saying anything. product releases should do the talking.

if i were to further elaborate i would say its because they arent delivering said products and pressure is creeping in.

i think its a worrying sign that a guy that is certainly not the creative muse in the company is saying this so often that it feels like groundhog day
numlock is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion