Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Edward ly

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2014
Nowadays i have 13-inch MacBook Air and I want to play DOTA 2 LOL and WOW with it. Can i play it? I check this website talk about alienware and other Laptop for gaming and i don't know I need to buy new one or still using 13-inch MacBook Air for gaming. Please give me some information and detail. Thank for comment :eek:

Edward ly

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2014
Thank you for your comment
what's about laptop? I want to know more about laptop.

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
What year's model ? The 2013 MBA's GPU, although integrated, is significantly faster than the previous years. If you do not expect to max out the graphics details, I think you'll be ok (at least WoW runs fine on my MBA 13" 2013 model).

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
Nowadays i have 13-inch MacBook Air and I want to play DOTA 2 LOL and WOW with it. Can i play it? I check this website talk about alienware and other Laptop for gaming and i don't know I need to buy new one or still using 13-inch MacBook Air for gaming. Please give me some information and detail. Thank for comment :eek:

You can try all three games for free so why not just install them and see if they run well enough at settings that are okay with you, etc.

Crusader007

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2013
For online games, all that matters is a good speedy network for smooth fps. TF2 freeplay on steam is addictive & works smoothly on MBP or iMac.

VI™

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2010
Shepherdsturd, WV
For online games, all that matters is a good speedy network for smooth fps. TF2 freeplay on steam is addictive & works smoothly on MBP or iMac.

Really? I'd say a decent video card and CPU too. :)

Yep. A speedy network alone will not FPS you get!

Try raiding in an MMO with a crap card and an awesome network. You may not lag at all on the network side of things, but if your GPU can't handle 39 other people on screen with you at the same time casting spells that use particle physics and will all the other shading, etc... going on, your FPS will lag and cause some major issues.

That's like saying all you need to get from Paris to New York is fuel...well, you're kind of missing a vessel of some sort at that point to get you there...

flottenheimer

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2008
Up north
Nowadays i have 13-inch MacBook Air and I want to play DOTA 2 LOL and WOW with it. Can i play it?...

If your MacBook Air is the 2012 or 2013 edition it will be able to run WOW just fine.

Don't know about DOTA 2, but do also download Team Fortress 2 (Free) when you fire up Steam — that game is simply amazing. Another FPS worth your time would be CoD 4: Modern Warfare.

League Of Legends should also perform just fine on a '12/'13 Air.

Have fun.

saotomefirst

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2012
Rio de Janeiro
Well, it's not the same case but if it serves as a reference I'm using a 2013 MBP (Intel HD 4000 video card) to play DotA 2. It runs quite well on OSX - although I can get a performance boost if I switch to Win7 on bootcamp, I find it too inconvenient to do it on a regular basis.

If you want to try it out, just remember to lower video settings to minimum and play a few games with bots to test how much you can increase your graphics without lagging in team fights ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.