Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Dong Nguyen, the developer of Flappy Bird, the viral hit that remains at the top of the App Store rankings, has promised on Twitter to remove the app from the App Store because the sheer amount of attention the app has drawn is something he isn't interested in dealing with.

Nguyen has repeatedly said on Twitter that the press is "overrating the success" of his games and that the sudden fame and attention is something he doesn't want, saying "please give me peace". He said today that though he is planning to remove Flappy Bird from the App Store, he will continue to make games. However, he isn't interested in the future of Flappy Bird and he won't sell the app to another developer.

Yesterday, before the shutdown was announced, Flappy Bird was updated to remove all social sharing features.

flappy-bird.jpg
I am sorry Flappy Bird users, 22 hours from now, I will take Flappy Bird down. I cannot take this anymore. - Dong Nguyen (@dongatory) February 8, 2014
It is not anything related to legal issues. I just cannot keep it anymore. - Dong Nguyen (@dongatory) February 8, 2014
I also don t sell Flappy Bird , please don t ask. - Dong Nguyen (@dongatory) February 8, 2014
For the moment, Flappy Bird is a free download from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: 'Flappy Bird' Creator Promises to Remove Game From App Store Tomorrow

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
The reviews of this app are pretty funny. Overall its fun for a few days but I've already gotten tired of it.

DarkCole

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2013
I'm sure he's making money off of the ads? I wouldn't want to throw that away. :confused:

davsp

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2013
I guess he doesn't find money useful anymore?

Or he has a terminal illness? :p

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
but he just released an update today, doesnt even make any sense ... is he trying to pull a "justin bieber"?

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
It's not like people will now recognize him on the street and he won't have a quiet moment. He just needs a private email account.

He could make tonnes of money by releasing some game for $1.

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England
Interesting decision. The wrong decision though. People will still have it on their devices so the hype won't die down yet.

Sirious

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2013
United Kingdom
Thats such an unexpected thing to read.
But yet he released an update for the iOS version yesterday.

I hope it will continue to work for people who have it installed on their phones?

JUiCEJamie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2011
This guy is making $50,000 a day? This is what developers dream about right?

I just don't get it! Angers me.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Thats such an unexpected thing to read.
But yet he released an update for the iOS version yesterday.

I hope it will continue to work for people who have it installed on their phones?

as long as you keep a copy in either your computer/iTunes/ios device, you can play it forever until you delete it.

foobarbaz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2007
I guess we're gonna see a new variant of the Streisand effect (unless this is a marketing ploy in the first place). The media is going to go wild over this!

spiezer

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2009
Smart move for more publicity. Everyone is going to download his game now. That ad money...:cool:

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
but he just released an update today, doesnt even make any sense ... is he trying to pull a "justin bieber"?

his update was probably submitted long before he got fed up with this sudden attention.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001

The update removed sharing features. He seems sincere in his distaste for the success of the game.

http://toucharcade.com/2014/02/07/flappy-bird-updated/

Strangely, the ability to share your scores after a run seems to be completely removed, which I find odd as that seemed to be a large part of what made Flappy Bird such a viral sensation.

arn

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.