Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JulesK

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 17, 2002
I just switched from iPad 3 to an Air. Although I definitely appreciate the lighter weight, battery life is worrisome. Regardless of what people say about the iPad 3, mine had amazing battery life. On standby, it just seemed to last forever (and should, given the size of the battery). I've had my Air for only a few days, but the battery went down 15% basically in standby, which is disappointing. My old iPad 3 would still be at 100% by comparison.

This seems completely different from what others have been experiencing. Will the battery re-calibrate eventually, or does it need a very long initial charge to reach its maximum capacity?

The other issues with the Air I can live with. The screen has one piece of dust under it, but you have to look for it to notice it. There is a slight yellowish bar on the far left, which seems fairly common, but I can live with that, too. I couldn't accept subpar battery life, however, and I'd rather return this and get a different unit if this is not normal.

Many thanks in advance.

Yahooligan

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2011
Illinois
Were you running iOS 7 on your iPad 3?

iOS 7 has a lot of things going on by default, even in standby, so depending on your network connection, wifi signal, background app update settings, etc, you could see your battery life go down more quickly than expected.

You also didn't say how long it took for the iPad to drop by 15%. Minutes, hours, days...?

I'd first look at Settings -> General -> Background App Refresh and turning it off for apps you don't use or don't want updating in the background.

Next, look at Settings -> General -> Usage and compare "Usage" to "Standby" at the bottom.

For example, my battery is at 78% currently with 10h53m "usage" and 1d2h "Standby."

Looking at these, and providing us with more info, may help all of us better understand if you have a problem or if it's just apps/settings.

esskay

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2008
Hmm, I've had to charge my iPad air about every other day. I thought it would last longer than that. I'll start watching the stats suggested here. I also looked and it appears background refresh is on for everything! So I'll start sifting through that to see how much that helps.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
Hmm, I've had to charge my iPad air about every other day. I thought it would last longer than that. I'll start watching the stats suggested here. I also looked and it appears background refresh is on for everything! So I'll start sifting through that to see how much that helps.

Yeah, start there. Anything refreshing in the background will be a killer. So is a super bright screen. See how you make out after optimizing things a bit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.