Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gcrr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2012
Before I got a Macbook I would use the home network to send pictures to my parents printer. Is there a way to do this on a Mac or do I need to buy a printer?

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
If your Mac doesn't detect the printer, then is it available on the network? What if you try connecting to the printers IP address?

Have you tried installing the relevant software/driver manually?

mneblett

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2008
We need more information.

Is the printer directly connected to your parent's machine, or connected to their network (e.g., connected to their router)?

Assuming the printer is accessible from the network: Have you installed the printer's driver Mac OSX software package on your MacBook (btw, MBPro?)?

If not, you need to go to the printer maker's website and download/install that model's Mac software package on your laptop. For example, my HP 8600 printer was installed on my PC with their Windows drivers, and I needed to install the HP 8600 Mac software on my MBP before I could print to the 8600 over our home network.

Usually, during the set-up process the installation software attempts to find the printer to verify that it will be ready for use on your laptop. If you have already installed the printer's Mac software, what happened during the installation process?

More help when we have more information :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.