Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 9, 2014
I've had my iPhone 5s for about 3 months now and absolutely LOVE it. You folks that have never used Android have no idea what a hellish mess it has become. Two years ago, I never would have believed I would make this post, but here is a reprint from the last Android forum I used to frequent, until ultimately and as usual I was immediately abandoned by Google and Motorola at the moment of purchase.

Reprint from here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2597116&page=2

For those of you that don't know, the "RAZR i" is a miniaturized RAZR just about exactly the same size as a iPhone 5.

I've been on Android for 3 years. Before, I was using WindowsMobile 6, and version 5 before that, until Microsoft stupidly killed that incredibly diverse ecosystem and made me and millions of others jump to Android. I had a clamshell Razr V3i before that that was an astonishingly good and beautifully hackable phone for the time - it was a great web browser with opera mini and I could email from it too, fantastic voice quality that could be tuned with a hex editor, and excellent radio/reception. It took a microSD so I used it as an MP3 player too. Moto typically has great build quality and radios though they definitely have released some total junk phones along the way too, I think I had a V551(??) that was dog poop, and several moto phones the camera broke on for no reason, usually a hardware failure like one of the internal lenses becoming dislodged, even if the phone was never dropped.

My *personal opinion* is that Android was most stable, useful and hackable at version 2.3 and has had been becoming progressively less stable and ever more locked down since. I have a Nexus 7 that I just leave stock and let it autoupdate whenever it feels like it to see what the latest edition of Android and latest versions of all my apps always look like; I've watched in horror as android and the Android app ecosystem has become a bug ridden laggy crashy malware adware spyware filled unholy mess over the last 12 months, as bad as Windows 98/XP ever was. Previously, as an android user I had always felt a little bit... i don't know... "more savvy" than iPhone users because Android was (supposedly) less expensive and I could make it do anything I wanted. But with the update to 4.1 on my RAZR i, I could no longer WIFI tether (it could tether with 4.0 but then Moto locked out tethering HARD and no one has figured a way around it) and that just made me really POed.

Then I also thought about it and realized I had EIGHT android devices and I was spending a ton of money always buying new android phones because that was usually the only way I could run the latest OS. I've for three years always been waiting/hoping that I'll get the next version of android when it is released, and usually all my hopes were dashed. Yes I did all the cyanagenmod/etc reflashing stuff for a while but that's always a little risky and after 10 or so flashes constantly trying out roll your own OS turns into a real time consumer, often gives me new bugs when I was trying eliminate other old bugs, and for some devices, namely the RAZRi, sometimes just not an option. My original Moto RAZR has a locked bootloader that was never really worked around. I was getting so sick of waiting around all of the time.

And I was noticing that there were people with iPhones many years old still using them, still happy with them. I played with a friends iPhone 3GS a year ago and was impressed with how smooth it was even then with supposedly far less hardware than my RAZR, and how happy she still was with it - and I noticed how aggravated I was with my RAZR.

So WTF, two months ago I bought a new iPhone 5s 64gb. It was Very
Expensive... but not really compared to the highest end Moto X, which was the other phone I was considering.

At first it was super annoying, not intuitive at all coming from android, lots of the design decisions seemed stupid. But I stuck with it, finally got used to everything about 3 weeks ago, and now two months after purchase I can say from my heart, and my head, it just blows Android out of the water right at this time. It is ROCK SOLID in hardware build and software stability, an order of magnitude above any android devices. I just can't stress enough how stable ios is compared to android. It took me many weeks to figure out all the workarounds I needed to do stuff like tethering, swype, etc, but now it does everything I can do on android.

I have two phones (work/personal), and this week I needed a second phone to replace my Razr i (which now has a new issue of blurry focus camera that I fix by banging it with my hand... i never dropped it... sigh), so I I just bought a used perfect condition 64gb Iphone 5 for $400. Goodbye Android for now.

There are hundreds of teensy little software and hardware design decisions in the iPhone that just make it so *pleasant* to use all the time. It makes all versions of android seem so rough and unpolished when I use my other android devices.

In the long run I think the iPhones will be either a wash cost wise, or maybe a little cheaper because now I can instead of buying a new Android phone every few months in hopes of finally having one that is solid and stable, I'll likely keep these iPhones for 2-3+ years and I'm guaranteed years of the most recent OS, available as soon as announced. But cost aside, ios is just a completely stress free experience that lets me get on with life.

Oh one last thing, the responsiveness of the iPhone is *phenomenal* I read a few months ago this is because the electronic hardware itself for the touchscreen has about 1/3rd the lag time between touching the screen, and the OS getting the signal. It makes the display feel really really good all the time. Now when I use any android touch screen it just feels so slow and annoying. Battery life is at least double the RAZR i in my experience so far, mostly because there is never any crap running in the background that I can't turn off, like is always happening in android as soon as I add more than three apps.

I'm not an apple aficionado at all; as soon as I find something better than iPhone I'll jump ship immediately, but as far as I can tell iPhone 5s is the best there is right now.

tl;dr: the iPhone 5 and 5s are mindblowingly good compared to the hell and heartbreak that android has turned onto. YMMV

What I find most interesting and most telling is that no one on the Android forum disagreed with me.

Oh yea, ***** you Google.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I agree. I've tried Android several times mainly because my carrier of choice didn't offer the iPhone yet and every single one that I owned had some annoying and frustrating things that always made me go back to the iPhone.

These days I've learned my lesson and won't be switching to or trying Android again.

derbyshire2013

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2013
East Midlands
I switched to Android a couple of years ago (the HTC Desire.)

Needless to say I soon returned to my iPhone 4.

Why? The limited ROM and inability to move some apps to the SD card really irked me.

Android has gotten better since then but there's nothing it offers that makes me want to leave the iOS ecosystem.

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 9, 2014
Ha! Move apps to SD card? Google took that away! Few android phones even have an SD card anymore android gets worse and more locked down and more buggy with each release don't even get me started about the satanic android Bluetooth implementation.

Troneas

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
At the alternatives section.
rubbish.

that poster is using a two year old phone running a two year old OS (4.1 JB) and in his free time he admits to hacking his phone and installing third party ROMS such as cyanogenmod and god knows what other dodgy software he's been putting on his rooted phone throughout his android years.

i've had a jailbroken iphone and i *know* the risks and compromises that involves. for you people out there who do not jailbreak and see all those lovely screenshots, get this: those people will never tell you how many times a day they need to "respring" their device because something failed to update, sync, or because of a change they needed to do. sure many will tell you it runs buttery smooth until they download 20+ tweaks and apps from cydia and pirated or not many won't play well with their other 19 widgets so they respring, delete, restore, backup, ran ilex rat, rinse repeat.

when i saw the pixel vomit that is iOS 7 and decided i would have none of it i also decided jailbreaking again will not be a option for me.

one of my devices is running an unrooted 4.4 KK android version.

they key, is here:

I've for three years always been waiting/hoping that I'll get the next version of android when it is released, and usually all my hopes were dashed. Yes I did all the cyanagenmod/etc reflashing stuff for a while but that's always a little risky and after 10 or so flashes constantly trying out roll your own OS turns into a real time consumer, often gives me new bugs when I was trying eliminate other old bugs, and for some devices, namely the RAZRi, sometimes just not an option.

so the OP couldnt get his heavily modified (and probably pirated) android system to work for years so he turned to iOS... and alas, it worked!

what a surprise...

Last edited by a moderator:

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon

One of your main points of contention was the lack of updates, but did you own any of the Nexus devices? I mean, besides the first Nexus 7. As far as I'm concerned, it's a buggy piece of crap...

I used a HTC One for about 6 months and it was a great phone besides the worthless camera. Unfortunately I dropped it and needed a replacement. I seriously considered waiting for the Nexus 5, but I needed a phone now so I bought the IPhone 5s.

Anyway, in glad you like your iPhone(I do too, they're good phones).

----------

so the OP couldnt get his heavily modified (and probably pirated) android system to work for years so he turned to iOS... and alas, it worked!

what a surprise...

I agree with you, Android is a great operating system(if you're running the right hardware), but what exactly do you mean by pirated? Cyanogenmod is a distribution built on the Android Open Source Project. It's open source...and as far as I know, they're not pirating anything...

Troneas

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
One of your main points of contention was the lack of updates, but did you own any of the Nexus devices? I mean, besides the first Nexus 7. As far as I'm concerned, it's a buggy piece of crap...

I used a HTC One for about 6 months and it was a great phone besides the worthless camera. Unfortunately I dropped it and needed a replacement. I seriously considered waiting for the Nexus 5, but I needed a phone now so I bought the IPhone 5s.

google and the OEMs have been working hard of late to address the issue of delayed updates.

my htc one has received 4.4 back in november and many of the current and 2013 flagship phones are being updated.

its true that older devices are left hanging with JB such as the OPs and they turn to cyanogenmod to solve the problem.

however, there a risk in doing that.

a poster over at another android forum recently installed a cyanogenmod nightly on his htc one and it heated his device almost to the point of melting it and within a day it was dead.

the risks are there but that doesn't mean android is "unstable".

----------

----------

I agree with you, Android is a great operating system(if you're running the right hardware), but what exactly do you mean by pirated? Cyanogenmod is a distribution built on the Android Open Source Project. It's open source...and as far as I know, they're not pirating anything...

by pirated i mean once the phone is rooted (you need root to install any ROM), many choose to install dodgy pirated software as well.

they won't admit to it but i have yet to find a solid reason to root an android phone with all the customisation options that are available.

so im left to believe pirating is a major reason.

aajeevlin

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2010
My last encounter with Android was the HTC Desire Z, which was roughly four years ago and that was a horrible experience both in terms of hardware/software.

I can't comment on what Android is like these days, since I don't own one. But what I can tell you is that Google customer service is horrible and filled with *******s. For a companies filled with top notch people, they have no idea how to run a customer service. I was going to give the Nexus 5 a try, but after the initial Google screw up, along with talking to four google customer service representatives (one supervisor, he was the biggest ******* of them all), I have decided to give up and spend the money else where.

I agree with the OP, I'll go with whatever device offers the best "overall experience". Right now I'll stick with the iPhone.

Last edited:

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 9, 2014
I never pirated anything I was installing new roms to try to eliminate bugs like oh... The camera not focusing, Bluetooth dropping after 5 minutes, having to go into deep settings to bring the volume back up after it mysteriously goes to zero every few days for no reason, stuff like that. And I DO have a nexus device which is no better. Wow I had no idea android fanbois (or paid google employees???) trolled here lol!!!

Troneas

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
I never pirated anything I was installing new roms to try to eliminate bugs like oh... The camera not focusing, Bluetooth dropping after 5 minutes, having to go into deep settings to bring the volume back up after it mysteriously goes to zero every few days for no reason, stuff like that. And I DO have a nexus device which is no better. Wow I had no idea android fanbois (or paid google employees???) trolled here lol!!!

jailbreak your iphone and start playing around with all the cydia tweaks you'll no doubt be tempted to download.

you'll especially like how well widgets work and how smooth many tweaks work with winterboard and its themes..

come back here to tell us afterwards how solid iOS is...

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 9, 2014
rubbish.

that poster is using a two year old phone running a two year old OS (4.1 JB) and in his free time he admits to hacking his phone and installing third party ROMS such as cyanogenmod and god knows what other dodgy software he's been putting on his rooted phone throughout his android years.

i've had a jailbroken iphone and i *know* the risks and compromises that involves. for you people out there who do not jailbreak and see all those lovely screenshots, get this: those people will never tell you how many times a day they need to "respring" their device because something failed to update, sync, or because of a change they needed to do. sure many will tell you it runs buttery smooth until they download 20+ tweaks and apps from cydia and pirated or not many won't play well with their other 19 widgets so they respring, delete, restore, backup, ran ilex rat, rinse repeat.

when i saw the pixel vomit that is iOS 7 and decided i would have none of it i also decided jailbreaking again will not be a option for me.

they key, is here:

what a surprise...

jailbreak your iphone and start playing around with all the cydia tweaks you'll no doubt be tempted to download.

you'll especially like how well widgets work and how smooth many tweaks work with winterboard and its themes..

come back here to tell us afterwards how solid iOS is...

You sir are misreading my words, replying to things I did not say, making false assumptions, are using logical fallacies such as ad hominim attacks, and have every indication of being in the direct employ of google, typifying all things wrong with that beast.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
I usually have 2 devices with me. But iPhone has always been the default phone.

My second line has consisted of blackberries, than android (starting from G1 to lastest nexus 5). Had a few windows phones in between. Last one being Nokia lumia 920.

Saying that. Android isn't for everyone. If you buy an android and want it to perform for at least 2 years. You gotta buy top end device like the galaxy s4 or note 3 or a nexus (biggest bang for the buck minus the average camera).

Jelly bean 4.1 was supposed to smooth lots of things out. Now it's kit Kat 4.4 that's supposed to use less system resources that makes android perform better.

I do feel bad for people buying low end android devices.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
rubbish.

they key, is here:

what a surprise...

Really....Android is a complete junkyard of crap compared to iOS. It's not even close. I find it funny that even on the newest flagship devices, there is still a ton of studder and lag. And I just can't get past it, even if I wanted to. It's horrible.

Troneas

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
You sir are misreading my words, replying to things I did not say, making false assumptions, are using logical fallacies such as ad hominim attacks, and have every indication of being in the direct employ of google, typifying all things wrong with that beast.

you hacked your two year old phone;

you flashed roms several times;

you attempted to manually fix issues with your phone;

your editing has created yet new issues with your phone;

you blame android for being unstable.

the proof is in the pudding im not making up anything you said.

some people have also claimed iOS 7 have given them the BSD (blue screen of death) as well as lag in older devices or even crashes...

my htc one has yet to crash ONCE.

apparently iOS 7.1 fixes these problems but hey, whatever tickles your fancy.

----------

Really....Android is a complete junkyard of crap compared to iOS. It's not even close. I find it funny that even on the newest flagship devices, there is still a ton of studder and lag. And I just can't get past it, even if I wanted to. It's horrible.

yes because iOS 7 is flawless.

i'm sure that blue screen of death was a welcome addition.

i don't know, knock yourself out:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14...-in-the-works-for-random-ios-7-crashing-issue

http://www.knowyourmobile.com/apple/apple-ios-7/21498/ios-7-problems-youre-not-alone

http://www.v3.co.uk/v3-uk/news/2299223/top-10-apple-ios-7-problems-and-complaints

ive read these complaints on this forum too.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
its true that older devices are left hanging with JB such as the OPs and they turn to cyanogenmod to solve the problem.

however, there a risk in doing that.

a poster over at another android forum recently installed a cyanogenmod nightly on his htc one and it heated his device almost to the point of melting it and within a day it was dead.

The nightlys are by nature unstable. This is even posted on their website. http://www.cyanogenmod.org/about

Lastly we have the Nightlies, which are as volatile as a firmware can get. These releases keep coming at an interval of a day or two and if you do end up trying one of these, do not be alarmed if your device goes cuckoo on you. These ROMs are largely untested, and as advised by CyanogenMod, not meant for use for an average user. These releases, are meant to test untested waters that may or may not break your phone.

by pirated i mean once the phone is rooted (you need root to install any ROM), many choose to install dodgy pirated software as well.

they won't admit to it but i have yet to find a solid reason to root an android phone with all the customisation options that are available.

so im left to believe pirating is a major reason.

I have to disagree with this line of thought. I've been jailbreaking since iPhone OS 1, and I've owned rooted and ROM'd Android devices and I have never pirated an app.

There are many legitimate reasons to jailbreak iOS or root and install 3rd party ROMs on Android, whether or not you choose to acknowledge them.

You must be using the wrong devices. I used the HTC One running 4.1 with Sense 5.0, 4.2 Google Play edition and 4.3 Google Play edition and there was no noticeable lag. If you were using Samsung devices, I'll understand, the TouchWiz UI that they use caused a lot of problems on the GS4 with Android 4.2. I believe these problems have been fixed in Android 4.3.

makinao

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2009
I switched from an iPhone 4S to a HTC One and am thoroughly enjoying it.

YMMV.

I've got it backwards. I had an HTC One V for a year, and daughter had a Lenovo P700 for a bit longer. Both with ICS, no mods whatsoever. It was a very unpleasant year. I recently got second-hand iPhone 4Ss for us. Started with iOS 6, now on 7. We are now happy campers.

On the other hand, my wife still uses a HTC Hero with Cupcake. No mods. She's happy with it.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Yeah, I came back to the iPhone as well. I had my G2 for a few months but I'm seriously addicted to iPhone since I've had everyone since 2007. Apple, just give me a large screen iPhone and I'll never leave again.

Troneas

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
YMMV.

I've got it backwards. I had an HTC One V for a year, and daughter had a Lenovo P700 for a bit longer. Both with ICS, no mods whatsoever. It was a very unpleasant year. I recently got second-hand iPhone 4Ss for us. Started with iOS 6, now on 7. We are now happy campers.

On the other hand, my wife still uses a HTC Hero with Cupcake. No mods. She's happy with it.

i'm a fan of htc, but the htc one v wasn't their finest hour.

a friend has the one s however and he is very happy with it. been with that phone for a couple of years now.

makinao

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2009
i'm a fan of htc, but the htc one v wasn't their finest hour. a friend has the one s however and he is very happy with it. been with that phone for a couple of years now.

Unfortunately for me, I bought mine before the critical reviews started showing up. I was considering trading up to One S, but an in-law who had one told me he was having the same problems I had.

Troneas

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
Unfortunately for me, I bought mine before the critical reviews started showing up. I was considering trading up to One S, but an in-law who had one told me he was having the same problems I had.

the one s has double the ram and a dual core processor...

not sure what issues you had with the one v but the main criticism has always been the limted HP to push the machine, which resulted in lags, crashes and what not.

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
I've had my iPhone 5s for about 3 months now and absolutely LOVE it. You folks that have never used Android have no idea what a hellish mess it has become. Two years ago, I never would have believed I would make this post, but here is a reprint from the last Android forum I used to frequent, until ultimately and as usual I was immediately abandoned by Google and Motorola at the moment of purchase.

Reprint from here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2597116&page=2

For those of you that don't know, the "RAZR i" is a miniaturized RAZR just about exactly the same size as a iPhone 5.

What I find most interesting and most telling is that no one on the Android forum disagreed with me.

Oh yea, ***** you Google.
Yep. Same exact experience here (and you can check my sig for most of the Android phones I've used in the past while (can't fit more than this in my sig)). Android is just not secure, not intelligently managed, and seems to be a collection of hacked together software that works most of the time. And to make it work at all, you need ridiculous specs and ridiculous batteries. Whereas iPhone always performs way better with at most half the specs. Android in summary is: a ton of software laziness compensated for by ridiculous hardware. My Note 3 is ridiculously slow in web browsing compared to my iPhone 5 despite being twice or three times as capable hardware-wise. What a waste of resources.

iPhone's king of the hill by a long shot, and will stay that way until at the very least Google get rid of that horrendous JIT runtime.

Zyiros

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2014
You apparently haven't tried the real experience of Android, as found on the Nexus 5 or Moto X. Try those and then make the same claim. RAZRs just suck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.