Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DuskyScarlett

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2014
Here
Hello! I apologize if this is a duplicate but I searched and no one has this issue.

I retail iPhones through Canadian carriers and had a recent customer with a strange dilemma. Their notes section contained a note not written by this customer containing all login names and passwords.

The iPhone is not linked with any other devices via iCloud or email. Nothing is linked to this iPhone at all! (Different emails, different iCloud accounts)

I haven't heard tell of a similar issue at any point in time, and Google didn't turn up any relevant info.

Anyone familiar with this and what the root cause may be? Theories accepted too!

DuskyScarlett

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2014
Here
I would be inclined to believe, but alas, the customer is always right...

(Please read with extreme sarcasm)

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
You can unlink iCloud but keep the local copies that were already downloaded. iPhones don't just send your passwords to the Notes app.

DuskyScarlett

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2014
Here
The customer fully believes her iPhone 5 was hacked and/or implanted with some kind of virus.

I think that the above post is correct, that there was something done that copied secure information.

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
The customer fully believes her iPhone 5 was hacked and/or implanted with some kind of virus.

I think that the above post is correct, that there was something done that copied secure information.

iPhone viruses are very rare as it is (non-existent for non-jailbroken, up-to-date iOS). Even more so would be one that makes it obvious that you have a virus by actually putting your passwords in the Notes app. Why would a virus like that even exist? "Hey here's a list of your passwords for your viewing pleasure."

Likely the reason is: his/her wife/husband with whom he/she shares an Apple ID with decided to put all known passwords in Notes. And now he/she thinks there's some phantom living in the phone. Great.

DCIFRTHS

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2008
Was this anew phone that you sold to her, and she came back saying that the note was on the phone when she got it, or was she using it for awhile, and is stating that it just appeared on the phone?

DuskyScarlett

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2014
Here
I didn't sell this particular phone... and I have relayed allllll the information I could find on the likelyhood of a virus on an iPhone, but you know how people are!

There is a ticket logged with a technician right now, with whom this person works. We'll see if they can convince this novice iPhone user that there's nothing wrong with their phone, since clearly I'm not doing a very good job of it.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
Likely the reason is: his/her wife/husband with whom he/she shares an Apple ID with decided to put all known passwords in Notes. And now he/she thinks there's some phantom living in the phone. Great.

^This..Somewhere, at some point, someone entered all username/password info into Notes for quick referencing. And as stupid as that sounds, I know quite a few people (including myself to some extent) that have done this.

That's what it has to be. There is no other feasable way this could happen. There is a 0% chance that it is a hacked device with a virus installed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.