Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

easy-peasy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 31, 2014
I've searched online but haven't found a real answer that makes any sense why the 5s would need it :confused:

It's not like the 5s, or any future iPhone for the next decade, uses more than 4gb of RAM. It's not like the 5s has to do super intensive computer tasks of high end ultrabooks.

Can a computer expert explain a real benefit for Apple using 64-bit on the 5s in laymans terms? (besides just doing it to brag about something that doesn't make a true difference and using it as a selling point to the uninformed)

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I read that apple said it was needed for the finger print reader. Once they get IOS 64 straightened out apple can start to more easily beef up the hardware.

antiprotest

macrumors 68040
Apr 19, 2010
"It's not like the 5s, or any future iPhone for the next decade, uses more than 4gb of RAM"

For the next decade?! How would you know this?

MrGST

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2013
It probably saved a ton on development costs to use the same processor in the 5S, Air, and rMini.

Retired Cat

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2013
This was purely getting a Chess Piece in place IMO. Mobile phones don't need 4GB of RAM today, but 1GB and 2GB are common now, so the 4GB barrier may arrive sooner than we think.

I assume that Apple wants to be ready, and lay the groundwork ahead of time.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Jesus.

Just the registers alone are more than enough reason to go 64 bit, people need to stop thinking of 64 bit as even mainly related to RAM access.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
This was purely getting a Chess Piece in place IMO. Mobile phones don't need 4GB of RAM today, but 1GB and 2GB are common now, so the 4GB barrier may arrive sooner than we think.

I assume that Apple wants to be ready, and lay the groundwork ahead of time.

People were saying the same thing at the jump from 16 bits to 32 bits.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I think it was to facilitate a move to 64 bit before it was needed. Apple will have 64 bit processors, iOS and apps installed in a large number of devices before they're necessary.

----------

If that's the case it's a shame Apple doesn't have the same attitude with regard to RAM.

More RAM is better, and I understand that some people are having low RAM related issues, but I really haven't run into that problem on my iOS devices.

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
People that are not into computers/that don't read Anandtech won't see why 64-bit is a brilliant move on Apple's part.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
I'm guessing some advantages could be in the cross-development between Mac OS X and iOS. They're not going to be the same any time soon, if ever. But I'm guessing from my limited programming experience that it might be easier to bring a feature in 64-bit OS X to 64-bit iOS.

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2011
People that are not into computers/that don't read Anandtech won't see why 64-bit is a brilliant move on Apple's part.

Would be helpful if you could provide link to the specific article on Anandtech.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
"It's not like the 5s, or any future iPhone for the next decade, uses more than 4gb of RAM"

For the next decade?! How would you know this?

Obviously he doesn't know. But it's pretty unlikely. Apple still has DESKTOPS selling with 4GB of RAM. They've only ever bumped their total ram spec once. Can we say with absolute certainy that we will go a decade before we see more than 4GB of ram in an iOS device? No. Just like we can't say with certainty that Apple's next release will be a success. But we can make some pretty educated guesses.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon

Yup, I totally agree with the Anandtech article. Apple is planning ahead(just like they did with OSX running on Intel processors, long before 10.4.)

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
People like that wouldn't need to, they would just enjoy all that the iOS device they have would have to offer them (because even if they did try to look into it and read about it, they likely wouldn't even get it or care about it anyway, so it really doesn't matter one way or another when it comes to people like that).

Smartass

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2012
the only reason for it is so they could burn extra 15 minutes of 5s presentation and therefore make it sound like it has so much more things than 5. Nothing more.

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
64 bit has memory addressing advantages which will be important down the road.

64 bit has certain speed advantages that pay off right now, particularly since iOS was fully optimized for it before the release date.

And it can't hurt that, for once, even if Apple didn't intend it, they beat Samsung and the other Android manufacturers at their own game by releasing a phone that blew away the spec sheets of the others. No one else was ready for, or expected, a 64-bit mobile CPU in a mainstream smartphone this soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.