Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steveh552

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 30, 2014
I started the migration assistant and after I seen it was going to take a few days to complete I canceled it. Now I seem to have over half my SDD taken up and I cant figure out where those files are and what I have deleted, the trashcan shows as still there with a little lock next to the files. I dont know what to do about this. First mac, and totally new to this.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
How were you connecting to your old machine for it to take a couple of days? I would try doing it through either a connection rather than wifi.

In terms of your new mac losing space on its hard drive, (assuming you still have the old machine/data) why not just delete everything and start again?

steveh552

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 30, 2014
How were you connecting to your old machine for it to take a couple of days? I would try doing it through either a connection rather than wifi.

In terms of your new mac losing space on its hard drive, (assuming you still have the old machine/data) why not just delete everything and start again?

I'm looking at that option of restoring it. I'm skipping migration and just going to add my movies and music by a external drive

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I started the migration assistant and after I seen it was going to take a few days to complete I canceled it. Now I seem to have over half my SDD taken up and I cant figure out where those files are and what I have deleted, the trashcan shows as still there with a little lock next to the files. I dont know what to do about this. First mac, and totally new to this.

I assume your account and all your data is still on the other machine you want to migrate from?

If it is, just create a new temporary admin account on the new machine then from that account delete the real account. This will erase all the data that is filling you drive now. Then from within the temp account run the Migration Assistant again using an ethernet connection if you can. This will bring in your account and data from the other machine.

Once the import is done login to your real account that was imported and if everything looks okay, delete the temp account.

You can also run Migration Assistant from an Time Machine backup of the old machine if you have that on an external disk.

steveh552

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 30, 2014
So to update, I ran a disk utility on the mac and it had me reboot into recovery mode and run the utility. It said I had some errors which it fixed and when I came back to my desktop and checked the disk, my missing space was back and I again have my 500gb roughly. I bought an Apple Time Capsule today to do backups and also run my internet once it gets installed Thursday.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.