Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DBZmusicboy01

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 30, 2011
I mean people are paying an iphone for a 2 year contract so it's not fair how if it's not our fault the phone might have an issue after having it for like 15 months so my opinion is Apple should include a 2 year warrenty for iPhones.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I mean people are paying an iphone for a 2 year contract so it's not fair how if it's not our fault the phone might have an issue after having it for like 15 months so my opinion is Apple should include a 2 year warrenty for iPhones.

It would be nice, but Apple isn't making you sign a 2 year contract. In fact, you can walk into an Apple store and buy an iPhone outright and you won't have to deal with a contract.

You have the option of buying AppleCare to extend your warranty to 2 years and it'll also give you coverage against accidental damage.

ugcop

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
Traveling @ Warp Speed ...... USA

If you buy something that you have to finance and are worried about the warranty running out, like Brick said buy insurance or, and I know is is a novel idea, buy a cheaper phone so that you can pay cash. Buying what you can not afford on credit is not a good idea.

So, to answer your question Apple's one year warranty is fine.

rablat

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2007
Classified NSA intel
If you buy something that you have to finance and are worried about the warranty running out, like Brick said buy insurance or, and I know is is a novel idea, buy a cheaper phone so that you can pay cash. Buying what you can not afford on credit is not a good idea.

So, to answer your question Apple's one year warranty is fine.

I think the 1 yr is fine. Where in the OP was anything said about financing?

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012

How will this help Apple? If no one is else is offering such a deal, why should Apple harm it's own finances by offering such a deal?

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I think the 1 yr is fine. Where in the OP was anything said about financing?

The OP mentioned a 2 year contract. In some ways that is similar to financing.

Anyway, Apple has no obligation to offer more than a 1 year warranty. I've had plenty of Apple products and I rarely have any kind of failure, let alone something outside of the warranty period. I'll go so far as to say I don't think a longer warranty is even necessary.

carjakester

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2013
Midwest
then what good would applecare do? people replace their phone about every 2 years. why would they need protection for more than that?

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
What about countries that have longer or shorter contract lengths?

Didn't Canada have 3 years at one time? Should Apple warranty it for 3 years?

What about if there was no contract and you paid full retail? Should Apple have no warranty?

Who should I call for the warranty on the roof of my house in 20 years? I have a 30 year mortgage, should I can the mortgage company or general contractor? :D

----------

then what good would applecare do? people replace their phone about every 2 years. why would they need protection for more than that?

People do or you do? I don't. I'll replace a phone anywhere from months to 3+ years.

CosmoPilot

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2010
South Carolina
1-year is good
2-year is better

My car has a 5 year warranty and my truck a 10 year warranty. I agree with the OP, Apple could cover the iPhones for 2-years for material/craftsmanship and limit battery coverage for just a year.

In December, my wife's iPhone 5 had an issue where the speaker sounded like it was blown out. Took it to the Apple store and they said they would replace the speaker for about $75. The phone was a couple months out of warranty. After they replaced the speaker, it still sounded the same, so they said the entire phone would need replaced! I politely told the Genius, "sounds good, but can't believe a speaker issue is going to set me back $299." He thought for a minute, and decided to swap it for free. Excellent customer service! However, a 2-year warranty on materials/craftsmanship would've covered this issue.

I know, I know, Apple Care would've covered it. I typically keep iPhones for 2 years and I've never had an issue with them after the 1st year of use, so I never buy it.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I feel a one year warranty is just fine. Sure a 2 year warranty would be better I'm not dismissing that.

However we have a lot of options here. AppleCare, carrier insurance, credit card insurance and I'm sure other 3rd party insurances. Plus and this is the best part, discounted replacement regardless of fault!!

There are very few companies (if any) that will replace something for you that you broke at a discounted price. If you break a XYZ brand phone and you take it back, guess what? You'll be paying full price to get it replaced.

How much is a refurb iPhone 5/5c/5s replacement? 200-350 dollars? Sure that's not chump change but much better then 550-750 to buy a new one.

sixrom

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2013
Apple could reduce the warranty to thirty days and they'd still sell. All it takes is that fruity logo :)

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Not likely, a phone is a personal purchase and nobody goes in to buy with the attitude of, "just give me the one with the longest warranty"

I know people who buy cars like that. However, I'm thinking if there was a choice of multiple manufacturers the warranty just might sway sales.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
LOL, no semantics about it. There was no mention of financing.
Semantics has everything to do with your comment. A subsidy is a type of financing as pointed out above. The point made above still stands. If one is worried about having a contract in exchange for a subsidy that will outlast the product warranty then one should reconsider and/or purchase the desired coverage.

Azy

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2012
I could be wrong but I think Vodafone UK offer a 2 year warranty on all mobile phones with he exception of IPhone... Kind of annoying but I still got one haha

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
Apple's warranty across the EU is 2 years.

Unfortunately, here in the UK, it's 1 year only as we opted out of that particular EU regulation, instead opting to allow consumers to make a claim against manufacturers for up to 6 years.

The problem with that is, you have to get (pay for) all the investigation/reports into (for example) your iPhone 4S's total failure after only 3 years.

You then pay a small amount to get them in court (£37?) and present your case to the judge, that your premium Apple product should not have failed after only 3 years.

He/she hopefully agrees with you and you get all your costs covered.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Apple's warranty across the EU is 2 years.

Unfortunately, here in the UK, it's 1 year only as we opted out of that particular EU regulation, instead opting to allow consumers to make a claim against manufacturers for up to 6 years.

The problem with that is, you have to get (pay for) all the investigation/reports into (for example) your iPhone 4S's total failure after only 3 years.

You then pay a small amount to get them in court (£37?) and present your case to the judge, that your premium Apple product should not have failed after only 3 years.

He/she hopefully agrees with you and you get all your costs covered.

After 1.5 years my lock button broke on my iP5, and after around the same time my Thunderbolt Display kind of just stopped working...

Both times I walked into the Apple Store, and they replaced both (after a botched attempt at fixing the TBD). No hoops to jump through - they even had a specific 'EU Warranty Claim' section on their iPads.

Although I think you have to had purchased it directly from Apple, otherwise it falls to the retailer which may not be as helpful.

Anyway, the upshot of it is that I've found that you don't need to make a claim or anything like that - they are actually very good in the UK.

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
After 1.5 years my lock button broke on my iP5, and after around the same time my Thunderbolt Display kind of just stopped working...

Both times I walked into the Apple Store, and they replaced both (after a botched attempt at fixing the TBD). No hoops to jump through - they even had a specific 'EU Warranty Claim' section on their iPads.

Although I think you have to had purchased it directly from Apple, otherwise it falls to the retailer which may not be as helpful.

Anyway, the upshot of it is that I've found that you don't need to make a claim or anything like that - they are actually very good in the UK.

The difference is they chose to do that for you, they didn't have to legally do it.

They would have been well within their legal (if not moral) rights to refuse a free repair and at that point, you would have had to do what I described above (take them to court).

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
To put it similarly - if you buy a car on finance, you don't get an automatic warranty extension for the length of the agreement - nor, if you buy a new home, do you get a warranty extension for the length of your mortgage.

You can either buy AppleCare, or use consumer law in your country to your advantage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.