Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gavinstubbs09

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 17, 2013
NorCal boonies ~~~by Reno sorta
So,

I was daydreaming one day and I said hell, why not make a App Store for Leopard? Apple doesn't make it, so I will! I like working on projects so I thought I would do it, cause, why not?

The idea is to provide pretty much a souped up version of the PowerPC Archive website but in a full app that I intend to work just like the App Store we see with Snow Leopard and above. Have ratings and reviews and stuff for each app. I feel that this will revive the Leopard users and can make the migration for people to PowerPC a bit easier. As much as I would like to get this done in the next week, I have so much work I need to do. I just got done with the bare interface and need to figure out how I'm going to make everything work. I think I will have it all done by Summer!

The image below is my concept of what it will look like, so please post feedback and ideas so I can make this the best possible! Thanks!

Update Feb. 15:
I am happy to see the interest, really makes me proud! I have decided on the name Leopard Market (thanks tampasteve!) as I feel it sounds good and we can all agree upon that. The interface I had made in the concept below is extremely challenging to build in Xcode so I will be going with a Mactracker-like approach, with categories of software on the side and a way to view them. Possibly in the future my concept will be what the Market looks like!

I have already been asked multiple times when a public beta will be out, and to be honest I have no clue. When I get it all working to a point where it is slightly usable, then I'll go ahead and release a beta with buttons to leave me feedback n stuff.

Update Feb. 16:
Ok, today I actually got to work on getting the layout working, and so far I have the about the app
window just about how I want it. Each thing in [brackets] will link back to code which will be different
for every program. With this, so will the App Icon and in the image box will be previews.

build2-16.png

Some people have even mentioned other projects that people were working
on in the past, only thing different is that I'll be the one making it a reality

Thanks for all the support guys! Really appreciate it!

Update January 24, 2015:
This project has not seen any progress in almost a year. However, today I am happy to say that Altemose and Keaton are assisting me in the project, and we are putting quite some time into it!​

If you guys want more updates almost instantly or something like the PPC Archive Facebook page!
Almost always new updates there on PowerPC mac stuff!

FAQ
I figured I might as well add this!

Q: When do you plan to have a public beta?
I'd personally like by the end of February but the reality is more like maybe late March/early April

Q: How will you be hosting downloads?
I will be putting my trusty G4 MDD to work as a server for all of this data. If I can get enough money
in donations I'd like to get more hard drive space and a faster internet connection!

Q: Will there be freeware and shareware?
Absolutely. I want to make sure people both new and old to the Mac can get an excellent
experience if they choose to use a PowerPC Mac running Leopard. Most software will be freeware
but if we can get developers to allow me to sell a old version of paid software in the Market, I plan
to do so. I will personally be working on in-house apps which some will be shareware to help me cover
the cost of time and energy to keep this all going!

Q: What's the System Requirements?
My prime intention is OS X Leopard (Ver 10.5), However I will attempt at making this run on Tiger
(Ver 10.4) by either making a separate Market or using the Leopard Market but greying out
Leopard-software only. The Leopard Market will run on G4 and G5 systems.

Attachments

• Leopard App Store Concept 80.jpg
    Leopard App Store Concept 80.jpg
    657.8 KB · Views: 661
Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
This is great and a wonderful idea. My only thought is copyright and licensing.

There are still many devs out there who still sell their apps through their own stores. What you are propsing would either have to just carry freeware/shareware or some sort of licensing agreement.

For example…Intech still sells the HiCap high capacity driver. You can ONLY get it if you buy it. They don't make it where you can simply enter a code. Once you pay then you get access to download it.

What about Adobe? Quark? Etcetera? Adobe has a draconion policy of obliterating past trial installers on the web. They are pretty good at finding and forcing removal from sites worldwide once a new version comes out. This is why it's so damn hard to find old installers. Yet, you can still download direct from Adobe if you've purchased. Apple is the same way and both companies would prefer that you forget there was ever a version of their apps before the current one.

I'm not in any way trying to discourage this. It's a great idea. I just see this App store as being limited to certain types of apps because legal takedown orders are nothing to mess around with.

jrsx

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2013
Tacoma, Washington
I think it's a great idea! No more searching through websites for those PPC apps we all need... It would be really handy, especially if it synced with the ppcarchive.dyniform.net, if I understand you correctly. To be able to have something even close to the app store on PPC is a step further in reviving the greatest computer architecture ever!

Last edited:

gavinstubbs09

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 17, 2013
This is great and a wonderful idea. My only thought is copyright and licensing.

There are still many devs out there who still sell their apps through their own stores. What you are propsing would either have to just carry freeware/shareware or some sort of licensing agreement.

For example…Intech still sells the HiCap high capacity driver. You can ONLY get it if you buy it. They don't make it where you can simply enter a code. Once you pay then you get access to download it.

What about Adobe? Quark? Etcetera? Adobe has a draconion policy of obliterating past trial installers on the web. They are pretty good at finding and forcing removal from sites worldwide once a new version comes out. This is why it's so damn hard to find old installers. Yet, you can still download direct from Adobe if you've purchased. Apple is the same way and both companies would prefer that you forget there was ever a version of their apps before the current one.

I'm not in any way trying to discourage this. It's a great idea. I just see this App store as being limited to certain types of apps because legal takedown orders are nothing to mess around with.

I think I will have to stick with freeware, but something I would like to do is show software owners that if this App Store truly works out, maybe they can allow me to sell their apps on the app store which may revive some software like Quicken as the only way to find copies of it now is trying your luck with TPB or buying boxed copies. Something that would be super cool is if Apple let me sell iMovie/iWork/FCP/Logic on the App Store but there's zero chance of that happening!

I think it's a great idea! No more searching through websites for those PPC apps we all need... It would be really handy, especially if it synced with the ppcarchive.dyniform.net, if I understand you correctly. To be able to have something even close to the app store on PPC is a step further in reviving the greatest computer architecture ever!

That's my plan! And yes, I do believe it would make life soooo much easier for all of us, and people new to mac that just picked up a G5 or a G4!

Excellent !! Make it happen :D

Cheers :)

Hugh

On it, mate!

harrymatic

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2013
United Kingdom
This is a really great idea - I would love to see a place where you can find all of the old freeware/shareware apps.

It should be OK to distribute shareware demo versions of games - developers used to encourage people to spread them around.

G4fanboy

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2013
Andalucia Spain
I think I will have to stick with freeware, but something I would like to do is show software owners that if this App Store truly works out, maybe they can allow me to sell their apps on the app store which may revive some software like Quicken as the only way to find copies of it now is trying your luck with TPB or buying boxed copies. Something that would be super cool is if Apple let me sell iMovie/iWork/FCP/Logic on the App Store but there's zero chance of that happening!

That's my plan! And yes, I do believe it would make life soooo much easier for all of us, and people new to mac that just picked up a G5 or a G4!

On it, mate!

It will be great! The store also can/could send to third parts to buy Apple products.
I mean " I want Final Cut Pro 3" It could give you http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR3.TRC1.A0.XFinal+Cut+Pro+3&_nkw=Final+Cut+Pro+3&_sacat=0&_from=R40
or http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Final%20Cut%20Pro%203 for example

gavinstubbs09

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 17, 2013
Great idea! Might want to stay away from calling it App Store though, don't want to poke that bear if you can stay away IMO. Maybe go with "Leopard Market" or "Leopard Superstore" or something similar.

I might end up having to go with Leopard Market! Thanks for the name :D

This is a really great idea - I would love to see a place where you can find all of the old freeware/shareware apps.

It should be OK to distribute shareware demo versions of games - developers used to encourage people to spread them around.

Looks like it's time to start hunting down some demos as well!

Just let me know if I can help!

Will do jrsx!

I do see this as a good alternate option! Really like the idea to have a "backup plan" to find old software as sometimes it's a must!

JaguarGod

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2010
This is a wonderful idea for PPC users. This is very exciting. Any thoughts on games and game demos? I could get the VGP3 demo up along with a version of the VGP2/VGPHD Demo. This would also create a bit more incentive for me to release a version of my game, AutoSport Driving, for the PPC platform instead of just intel Macs. No promises though ;)

Hey, what about "Leopard PowerPC App Portal"...... Wait, way too long. Maybe "Leopard App Portal"? We could call it the "LAP" for short. Crap, I don't know. Maybe the word "App" shouldn't be used. You know, I have been a part of a couple of trademark and copyright lawsuits and a broker of ours is in the middle of a year and a half long patent dispute and they are horrendous!

Well, regardless of the name, it will be great for us PPC users. My G5 Quads feel left out and this will make them feel new again like the Mountain Leopard theme did.

gavinstubbs09

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 17, 2013
This is a wonderful idea for PPC users. This is very exciting. Any thoughts on games and game demos? I could get the VGP3 demo up along with a version of the VGP2/VGPHD Demo. This would also create a bit more incentive for me to release a version of my game, AutoSport Driving, for the PPC platform instead of just intel Macs. No promises though ;)

Hey, what about "Leopard PowerPC App Portal"...... Wait, way too long. Maybe "Leopard App Portal"? We could call it the "LAP" for short. Crap, I don't know. Maybe the word "App" shouldn't be used. You know, I have been a part of a couple of trademark and copyright lawsuits and a broker of ours is in the middle of a year and a half long patent dispute and they are horrendous!

Well, regardless of the name, it will be great for us PPC users. My G5 Quads feel left out and this will make them feel new again like the Mountain Leopard theme did.

Leopard Portal Market or Leopard Market Portal? Two good options! That would be fantastic to see apps made by the community here have their software on the "Portal Market" as it would just be - well awesome! Don't want to have any sort of lawsuit if it's avoid able! Screw all the time and money involved in that!

Maybe from what I learn in making the Leopard Market can go into deeper customization to make Leopard look hardly alike from the new Macs, so walking into starbucks with a PBG4 people will think you have a first gen MBP :D

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
I know it might complicate things, but why not call it a PPC App Store and include 10.4 versions.

There are still a lot of people hanging onto the Tiger's tail :cool:

Cheers :)

Hugh

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Maybe just call it something like Application Repo or something? Repo being short for Repository.

I say that because Apple may find it doesn't like you using the term "Leopard" or "Tiger" or "App Store." Store also implies that money would be changing hands, even if it won't.

I love this idea and I want to see it fly, not get shot down on takeoff!

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I like this idea. It'll be a nice way to aggregate all of the PowerPC software that is out there. Always nice to know that even in 2014, our G4s and G5s (maybe even G3s) are able to view the internet and use modern-ish software. Questions: Would it be open for PowerPC based command line tools? Where/who would be hosting it and all of its content?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
LOL!!! OK, ok. All I'm saying is that Apple may have an issue with the name of the store.

Whatever it's called it should be something that nobody can have an issue with. :)

gavinstubbs09

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 17, 2013
I like this idea. It'll be a nice way to aggregate all of the PowerPC software that is out there. Always nice to know that even in 2014, our G4s and G5s (maybe even G3s) are able to view the internet and use modern-ish software. Questions: Would it be open for PowerPC based command line tools? Where/who would be hosting it and all of its content?

I'd hope so! The hosting I think I'll put my G4 MDD to good use as a server for stuff and maybe if I get enough money in donations I could step it up a level!

@eyoungren
Maybe a poll needs to be made with possible names and everyone can vote :D

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I'd be willing to build and maintain packages for common command line tools built from Tigerbrew's sources for those unable to or unwilling to download and compile it themselves.

rjcalifornia

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2012
El Salvador
So,

I was daydreaming one day and I said hell, why not make a App Store for Leopard? Apple doesn't make it, so I will! I like working on projects so I thought I would do it, cause, why not?

The idea is to provide pretty much a souped up version of the PowerPC Archive website but in a full app that I intend to work just like the App Store we see with Snow Leopard and above. Have ratings and reviews and stuff for each app. I feel that this will revive the Leopard users and can make the migration for people to PowerPC a bit easier. As much as I would like to get this done in the next week, I have so much work I need to do. I just got done with the bare interface and need to figure out how I'm going to make everything work. I think I will have it all done by Summer!

The image below is my concept of what it will look like, so please post feedback and ideas so I can make this the best possible! Thanks!

Great concept!

Why don't you name it Power App Store?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.