Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Feb 11, 2014, 12:46 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Famed Documentarian Ken Burns Launches iPad App

Famed documentarian Ken Burns, who's directed detailed films about the history of subjects like baseball and the Civil War, has released a new app under his name that houses scenes, extras, and behind-the-scenes footage from all 25 of his films.

In his announcement (via The Hollywood Reporter), Burns noted it was exciting for him to be using an Apple platform for his app as the company has long used the "Ken Burns Effect", where a camera slowly pans over a still image, in its video editing apps.
Quote:
"Apple has long used an element of my filmmaking in its programs, which they call the Ken Burns Effect. I'm so excited to now be using Apple's platforms to create a radically new way to present my work and*reach new viewers. Our films are made in a small town in New Hampshire over many years, with images and stories woven together in a way that we hope brings experiences of the past into the present."
While the app doesn't include the full Ken Burns' documentaries, it does house hand-selected scenes by Burns in playlists inspired by six themes: Race, War, Art, Hard Times, Innovation, and Politics. One theme, Innovation, is included free with download but the remaining five themes, which include over three hours of content, must be unlocked via a $9.99 in-app purchase.

Alternatively, users can view the content in a Timeline view, which presents a chronological history of America, and a Film view, which arranges the clips by which Burns' film they're from.

Ken Burns for iPad is available in the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Famed Documentarian Ken Burns Launches iPad App
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2014, 12:51 AM   #2
Lazy
macrumors regular

He looks way too young to be 60.
Lazy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2014, 12:57 AM   #3
jonyive4
Banned

Needs virtual dictation by Morgan Freeman.
jonyive4 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2014, 01:34 AM   #4
mdridwan47
macrumors regular

Does it have Ken Burns effect ?
mdridwan47 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2014, 03:08 AM   #5
Westside guy
macrumors 601

Last time i checked, I could (and did) watch the documentaries streamed on Netflix. For me, at least, it's not worth a ten dollar in-app purchase to view some extras. They'll probably end up on PBS anyway...
Old Feb 11, 2014, 05:23 AM   #6
superleccy
macrumors 6502a

I downloaded it and installed it, but the app icon keeps drifting slowly across the screen. Is this a bug?
Old Feb 11, 2014, 05:55 AM   #7
ghettochris
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by superleccy View Post
I downloaded it and installed it, but the app icon keeps drifting slowly across the screen. Is this a bug?
no, that's the Ken Burns effect.
ghettochris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2014, 06:17 AM   #8
macs4nw
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
…..One theme, Innovation, is included free with download but the remaining five themes, which include over three hours of content, must be unlocked via a $9.99 in-app purchase…..

Article Link: Famed Documentarian Ken Burns Launches iPad App
Pricey nuggets of background enlightenment for information geeks.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 08:41 AM   #9
starbird
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by macs4nw View Post
Pricey nuggets of background enlightenment for information geeks.
Is it $9.99 each or total? Anyone know yet?
starbird is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2014, 09:15 AM   #10
kdarling
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdridwan47 View Post
Does it have Ken Burns effect ?
I think we can all thank [fill in your deity of choice] that Apple didn't come up with the Ken Burns effect.

Otherwise, there'd be Apple lawsuits all over the place, just like with the bounce back effect.

(The whole idea that you can patent a visual effect is ridiculous to begin with.)
kdarling is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2014, 09:52 AM   #11
BasicGreatGuy
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbird View Post
Is it $9.99 each or total? Anyone know yet?
Total
Old Feb 11, 2014, 11:08 AM   #12
jlc1978
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside guy View Post
Last time i checked, I could (and did) watch the documentaries streamed on Netflix. For me, at least, it's not worth a ten dollar in-app purchase to view some extras. They'll probably end up on PBS anyway...
That depends on how you might use it. My wife teaches and that app would be good add to her classroom iPad since she could easily access content for a lesson plan. In addition, Ken Burn's documentaries are high quality and appropriate for use in a classroom setting.

As a side note, it is a very interesting way to combine existing content with new media capabilities to generate revenue. If I were KB I'd get all my films on iTunes and also add them as in-app purchases.
jlc1978 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2014, 11:24 AM   #13
casperes1996
macrumors regular

So that's why

Always wondered why that effect was called Krns Burn.
casperes1996 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2014, 03:37 PM   #14
adamneer
macrumors regular

Ken Burns has to be one of the most boring people to have ever existed on the face of the earth. With such riveting subjects as "The West" and "Mark Twain" and lets not forget everyone's favorite 4 hour documentary "The Dust Bowl".
adamneer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2014, 01:39 AM   #15
pocket3d
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdarling View Post
I think we can all thank [fill in your deity of choice] that Apple didn't come up with the Ken Burns effect.

Otherwise, there'd be Apple lawsuits all over the place, just like with the bounce back effect.

(The whole idea that you can patent a visual effect is ridiculous to begin with.)
Last I read, Apple pays a licensing fee to use the name, which KB donates to a foundation connected with documentary film. Can't look it up right now. Perhaps you could make a constructive comment.
pocket3d is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion