Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MarvinHC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2014
Belgium
As per the title,

I could exchange my late 2008 15" Macbook Pro unibody MB470LL (2.4 ghz, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB 7200 HD, brand new battery) against a Mid 2012 Macbook Air 13" MD231LL, 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD, one year old, warranty just expired.

The other person of course wants me to pay a bit to make up for the difference in value. Here comes my question:

How much more is the Air worth in your opinion?

Also, are there any know weaknesses with this model year that I should look out for so that I don't get a lemon in exchange for my well working Pro?

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Many 128gb 2012 MBA's have had SSD failures. It has been discussed at length in this forum and I believe Apple released an app to test the SSD. Not sure if Apple wil replace a defective SSD if it is out of warranty so you should find out whether the seller has tested/replaced it himself.

I have a 2008 MBP just like yours and replaced it with a 2011 13" i5 MBA. The 2012 MBA will be even faster and will run circles around your old MBP - CPU will be about twice as fast and SSD will be much, much faster.

I never researched what I could sell my old MBP for as I still use it for things like watching and ripping DVDs. But it couldn't be worth very much, I'd think it would be a lot less than a 2012 MBA.

MarvinHC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2014
Belgium
Thanks both for your replies, especially the info on the SSD is very valuable.

Still not sure on the price premium though..... would 200$ sound about right?

pukrnukr

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2010
Roc
Thanks both for your replies, especially the info on the SSD is very valuable.

Still not sure on the price premium though..... would 200$ sound about right?

I don't think I would pay much more than that. Find out if you can upgrade the ram in it, and if you can't (like the 2013-14), make a decision if thats going to be enough for whatever you plan to use the computer for.

A brand new 13" haswell Air is $1100. I'm considering selling my late 2008 macbook pro (2.66ghz). Just started researching it's value and it seems like they're selling for around $500 on ebay and even more on craigslist as longs as its in great condition. No dents and scratches. It also depends on if you have the better graphics card in it (9600M). I think in 2009 they made the 15" macbook pros without the better graphics card and lowered the price a lot, so people are taking less for those. I'd look up what the average used air is going for now and then make a decision.

Have you used a 13" macbook yet? I have a few friends and family members with 13" screens and it seems a lot smaller to me now that I've been using the 15" for so long.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Just to update my earlier post from last month... a few days ago I fired up the 2008 MBP to rip some movies and the battery had completely died. It will not hold any charge at all. removed the battery, inspected it, re-inserted, did the SMC reset. Nothing. It's dead Jim.

That's pretty much the end of the line for me, am not gonna spend good money after bad to replace a battery on a machine of that age. It runs OK on external power, but the magsafe connector is pretty easy to jar loose accidentally, and if that happens while it's writing to disk it ain't gonna be pretty. :mad:

MarvinHC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2014
Belgium
Thanks for all replies, quick update:

I decided to keep the 2008 MPro. The guy with the Air wanted in the end the equivalent of 300$ extra, so no way. At least with my Pro I know what I have while the Air might have some problems. I have thrown in a 840 EVO 120GB and am so far happy.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
The guy with the Air wanted in the end the equivalent of 300$ extra

That's a tough call. If your battery goes, you will be into over $100 based on a quick search ($129 direct from Apple - http://store.apple.com/us/product/MA348LL/A/rechargeable-battery-15-inch-macbook-pro?fnode=5a). That plus whatever you spent on the 120 GB drive and the gap between $300 isn't so big. And with a 6 year old computer, other stuff is going to start to fail. If it requires a motherboard swap then it's "game over".

I don't know that $300 is an appropriate price, but I'd be really reluctant to put anything into upgrading or repairing a 2008 computer. A 2012 MBA will be in a whole different league when it comes to performance.

Regardless, I hope it works out well for you.

MarvinHC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2014
Belgium
That's a tough call. If your battery goes, you will be into over $100 based on a quick search ($129 direct from Apple - http://store.apple.com/us/product/MA348LL/A/rechargeable-battery-15-inch-macbook-pro?fnode=5a). That plus whatever you spent on the 120 GB drive and the gap between $300 isn't so big. And with a 6 year old computer, other stuff is going to start to fail. If it requires a motherboard swap then it's "game over".

I don't know that $300 is an appropriate price, but I'd be really reluctant to put anything into upgrading or repairing a 2008 computer. A 2012 MBA will be in a whole different league when it comes to performance.

Regardless, I hope it works out well for you.

Well the SSD is not lost money, can always be put to use somewhere else. As for the battery I put a new one in a couple of weeks ago (luckily not at the Apple price...). Anyway, for the moment I keep it and my 5 year old loves the big screen :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.