Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benoit85

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 10, 2013
Sorry having a bit of a rant! i've posted before when i first got a 5C which i had to swap due to issues with the case coming away from the screen and a dead pixel. Swapped for another 5C which had the screen popping issue, got upgraded to a 5S and i've been happy with it apart from the power button rattling but now it's developed a clicky screen too!

The 5C was my first ever iphone and i was expecting top notch build quality but i'm now on my 3rd iphone which has problems! I'm not going to bother swapping it because i'm worried about getting another one with issues. I can upgrade in June so i may see if there is a new iphone out or go back to android.

I'm just overall pretty disappointed, i do love my phone and ios in general but i can't believe the quality of the handsets. I know some people will say I'm being picky but i had a galaxy S2 for 2 years without a single issue and many phones before that, the iphone has been the first handset I've ever had to swap due to a fault!

Rant over, lol:p

benoit85

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 10, 2013
Yea i'm just surprised that i've had 3 phones with faults! all brand new in sealed boxes just makes me wary about getting another iphone in the future which is a shame because they are lovely phones but i don't have much confidence in their build quality anymore.
To anyone else with the screen clicking issue it seems to be a lot worse when the phone is warm, i always tend to notice it when playing games but if it's cold it doesn't tend to do it as much. Not sure what causes it but Apple must be aware of the fault.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
I'm on my first 5s. I've only ever had to exchange an iphone once, a 3G with broken silent button. It broke on the same day I purchased the phone.

benoit85

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 10, 2013
I'm on my first 5s. I've only ever had to exchange an iphone once, a 3G with broken silent button. It broke on the same day I purchased the phone.

That's unlucky, i think to be honest the 4S was fine, a lot of my friends had the 4S and i don't remember anyone having any issues with them but the 5 series just seems to have taken a dive in regards to build quality or their quality control isn't what it used to be.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
I've had every iPhone on launch day, and never had to return one. And I think this is the case for the vast majority of iphone users. You sir are in the minority.

benoit85

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 10, 2013
I've had every iPhone on launch day, and never had to return one. And I think this is the case for the vast majority of iphone users. You sir are in the minority.

Well that sucks,lol as i said this is the first phone i've ever had to return and i've had loads of different phones over the years. Well come June when i can upgrade i'm hoping there will be something new to upgrade too and i can move away from the 5S.

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
Well that sucks,lol as i said this is the first phone i've ever had to return and i've had loads of different phones over the years. Well come June when i can upgrade i'm hoping there will be something new to upgrade too and i can move away from the 5S.

A bad experience when using any product for the first time can set unrealisitc expectations, try not to let that happen. I have owned 4 iOS devices and haven't had a problem with any of them - in fact I remain quite impressed.

benoit85

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 10, 2013
A bad experience when using any product for the first time can set unrealisitc expectations, try not to let that happen. I have owned 4 iOS devices and haven't had a problem with any of them - in fact I remain quite impressed.

No i appreciate that, but i am now on my 3rd iphone and yet again i'm finding faults. The screen clicking issue seems to be pretty common as does the power button rattle. I've not been put off iphones at all and i'm sure if the iphone 6 is available when i can upgrade i'll probably get it, i was just expressing my disappointment. I guess i've just been unlucky, several times in a row! lol:D

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Could have been a bad batch, most people I know who have iPhones are happy with them.

Maybe there are a bunch of consumers who don't notice the rattle, but apple produces a premium product and should be rattle free and built to last...with normal wear and tear.

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
No i appreciate that, but i am now on my 3rd iphone and yet again i'm finding faults. The screen clicking issue seems to be pretty common as does the power button rattle. I've not been put off iphones at all and i'm sure if the iphone 6 is available when i can upgrade i'll probably get it, i was just expressing my disappointment. I guess i've just been unlucky, several times in a row! lol:D

Yes, I believe you have simply been a victim of bad luck. Look on the bright side, you're getting all of your bad luck out of the way faster than most people, odds are it won't continue :)

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area

Yeah, don't let it discourage you from buying iOS devices in the future. Apple build quality is much better then anyone else.....Phones, Tablets, Laptops, etc. You just had a bad run...(Or you have terrible Apple OCD).

benoit85

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 10, 2013
Yeah, don't let it discourage you from buying iOS devices in the future. Apple build quality is much better then anyone else.....Phones, Tablets, Laptops, etc. You just had a bad run...(Or you have terrible Apple OCD).

See that's what i kept hearing from friends, colleagues etc that the build quality is excellent. I just haven't experienced this first hand yet. My wife's ipad is fine as far as i know, i don't use it myself but she has never complained about anything, i think like i've said it has just been bad luck. I don't think i have apple ocd, the issues i've had would have annoyed anyone i think.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
See that's what i kept hearing from friends, colleagues etc that the build quality is excellent. I just haven't experienced this first hand yet. My wife's ipad is fine as far as i know, i don't use it myself but she has never complained about anything, i think like i've said it has just been bad luck. I don't think i have apple ocd, the issues i've had would have annoyed anyone i think.

You're right. The issues you're complaining about are totally legit. And I would be as annoyed as you are. But at least from my perspective, switching over to android would never even cross my mind.

benoit85

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 10, 2013
You're right. The issues you're complaining about are totally legit. And I would be as annoyed as you are. But at least from my perspective, switching over to android would never even cross my mind.

Yea i may not switch i'm just going to see whats about when i upgrade. I may be tempted by the Galaxy S5, as i've said i do love ios now but i equally love android for how customisable it is. I loved the fact that my S2 was completely different to someone else's S2 due to different launchers and widgets.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
The screen clicking issue seems to be pretty common as does the power button rattle.

Within the first week my iPhone 5s developed the clicking screen, and it also would have a springboard crash several times a day.

I took it in and they swapped it out for a white box replacement which, after a few days, had the clicking screen issue as well but in a different location. Apple swapped this one out as well.

I'm on my 3rd 5s now and I don't have any issues other than the power button rattle, but that isn't a real problem, is it?

sinfool

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2014
Its a fact, build quality has diminished since Apple's earlier phones. Now a days, its basically luck of the draw.

Those who don't want to admit it are fooling themselves.

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
My wife picked up an iPhone 4S a few months ago. I tried to talk her into a 5 but she insisted on a 4S. We wound up taking it back a few months later for a stuck power button. The Apple store swapped it in a few minutes and the restore of all her stuff from iCloud was seamless.

There are 2 factors that affect perceived quality. One is the actual build quality and the other is how you are treated if you have a problem. I've had problems with Apple stuff over the years but I've rarely had a situation where I wasn't treated right. As long as Apple remembers to treat customers well when they have problems, they can weather any temporary lapse in build quality... as long as it's only temporary.

benoit85

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 10, 2013
My wife picked up an iPhone 4S a few months ago. I tried to talk her into a 5 but she insisted on a 4S. We wound up taking it back a few months later for a stuck power button. The Apple store swapped it in a few minutes and the restore of all her stuff from iCloud was seamless.

There are 2 factors that affect perceived quality. One is the actual build quality and the other is how you are treated if you have a problem. I've had problems with Apple stuff over the years but I've rarely had a situation where I wasn't treated right. As long as Apple remembers to treat customers well when they have problems, they can weather any temporary lapse in build quality... as long as it's only temporary.

I've got not issues or complaints about their service, I'm sure i could take it in and get it swapped but it's as another poster said luck of the draw and there is a chance i could get a different phone but with another set of issues. The screen clicking wasn't happening when i first got the phone, i checked because of the problem on the previous one but it has started now. It may stop on it's own i don't know but there is the chance another phone would be fine and then it would start and i would be back to where i am now.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
As long as there's human involvement in making iPhones or any techilical device there will always be an issue here and there However the number of problems is small in comparison to the number made

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2010
England
Int he last 2 years, I have had a brand new Macbook Pro, Brand New iMac, brand new iPad and a Brand new iPhone and they all had patches of yellow on the screen. The software/ build quality and overall customer experience is top notch. But Apple have an issue with their screens.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.