Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Feb 11, 2014, 02:33 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Whole Foods Adopts Square for iPad Cash Registers

Whole Foods has partnered with Square to deploy its iPad checkout system inside the grocery store chain at counters selling ready-to-consume products like pizza, coffee and sandwiches, supplementing the chain's traditional checkout lanes at the front of the store.

Reports TIME:

Quote:
The company has signed a deal to put its iPad-based payment systems inside Whole Food Market grocers in the U.S., where they'll be used at counters that sell ready-to-consume products -- from pizza and sandwiches to coffee, beer and wine -- as a supplement to the conventional checkouts at the front of the store. Customers will be able to pay with credit and debit cards, cash and, in some locations, by using the Square Wallet smartphone app. The idea is to expedite things both for people making a quick purchase from one of these venues and for those who are at the checkouts with a cartful of groceries.
It's unclear if Whole Foods will use the Square Stand cash register or some other iPad solution, but TIME says some locations will support the Square Wallet app.

The deal makes Whole Foods the second major retailer to roll out Square's technology. In 2012, Square and Starbucks formed a partnership that saw Square take over credit card processing at Starbucks stores in the U.S.

Article Link: Whole Foods Adopts Square for iPad Cash Registers
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2014, 02:36 PM   #2
AustinIllini
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post

Whole Foods has partnered with Square to deploy its iPad checkout system inside the grocery store chain at counters selling ready-to-consume products like pizza, coffee and sandwiches, supplementing the chain's traditional checkout lanes at the front of the store.

Reports TIME:

It's unclear if Whole Foods will use the Square Stand cash register or some other iPad solution, but TIME says some locations will support the Square Wallet app.

The deal makes Whole Foods the second major retailer to roll out Square's technology. In 2012, Square and Starbucks formed a partnership that saw Square take over credit card processing at Starbucks stores in the U.S.

Article Link: Whole Foods Adopts Square for iPad Cash Registers
Whole Foods is like a religion in Austin. It's miserable. Hopefully this helps.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 02:43 PM   #3
dontwalkhand
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to dontwalkhand
And so one nail in the traditional POS system, more to go.

However it may be a step back, as instead of me swiping it, I have to hand my card to the clerk.
dontwalkhand is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2014, 02:52 PM   #4
Blakjack
macrumors 65816

And to think, one phone started it all.

If you owned one in 2007, you just knew you were holding a piece of history.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 02:52 PM   #5
MellowFuzz
macrumors regular

Just adding a pointless post to express my hatred of Whole Fascists - food shouldn't look like propaganda. Looking at it, you'd never guess it come from messy, muddy, varied nature. Also, the prepared-foods are utterly overrated and surprisingly dire.
MellowFuzz is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2014, 03:02 PM   #6
Cuban Missles
macrumors 6502a

I like the square system as an end user. From the retailer side, I also think that compared to traditional POS registers this will be cheaper for retailers. And emailing the receipts vs printing adds another level of savings plus being eco-friendly. Basically all good IMHO.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 03:16 PM   #7
Narrator Jack
macrumors member

[redacted]

Last edited by Narrator Jack; Aug 28, 2014 at 07:26 PM.
Narrator Jack is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2014, 03:18 PM   #8
oneMadRssn
macrumors 6502a

Does square support a cash drawer? Is there even a cash drawer that is iOS compatible? Via 30-pin connector I would assume?

Swiping credit cards is cool and all, but it's not really a POS replacement without the ability to accept cash.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 03:26 PM   #9
carjakester
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneMadRssn View Post
Does square support a cash drawer? Is there even a cash drawer that is iOS compatible? Via 30-pin connector I would assume?

Swiping credit cards is cool and all, but it's not really a POS replacement without the ability to accept cash.
i believe that you enter the cash manually, and could get a normal drawer for cash.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 03:31 PM   #10
bushido
macrumors 603

Quote:
random i just read a story today that the US is only now starting to implement Chip + PIN cards? i couldnt believe people are still "swiping and signing" seems so unsecure and 2001 to me
bushido is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2014, 03:33 PM   #11
IPPlanMan
macrumors member

iPad mini's here in DC....

iPad Mini's here in DC
IPPlanMan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2014, 03:35 PM   #12
oneMadRssn
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushido View Post
random i just read a story today that the US is only now starting to implement Chip + PIN cards? i couldnt believe people are still "swiping and signing" seems so unsecure and 2001 to me
Glad you pointed this out. I agree that it's insecure. How is a chip + pin more secure though? Most of the data breaches happen well after the transaction has occurred, where hackers steal the stored card data. Often that data is encrypted, and they also gain access to the key. I don't think any chip and pin really addresses this issue; though I could be mistaken.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 03:35 PM   #13
MN7119
macrumors regular

Are you being forced to shop at WF? Go get a life!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MellowFuzz View Post
Just adding a pointless post to express my hatred of Whole Fascists - food shouldn't look like propaganda. Looking at it, you'd never guess it come from messy, muddy, varied nature. Also, the prepared-foods are utterly overrated and surprisingly dire.
MN7119 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2014, 03:39 PM   #14
mrgraff
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

A cash drawer, bar code scanner, and receipt printer are all compatible:
https://squareup.com/stand/shop
mrgraff is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2014, 03:48 PM   #15
bushido
macrumors 603

Quote:
Glad you pointed this out. I agree that it's insecure. How is a chip + pin more secure though? Most of the data breaches happen well after the transaction has occurred, where hackers steal the stored card data. Often that data is encrypted, and they also gain access to the key. I don't think any chip and pin really addresses this issue; though I could be mistaken.
It is though, France for example has cut card fraud by more than 80% since its introduction in 1992.
bushido is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2014, 04:05 PM   #16
oneMadRssn
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
It is though, France for example has cut card fraud by more than 80% since its introduction in 1992.
Yes, but in 1992 credit card fraud was different. I've read articles that the common mechanism for theft in Europe back then was thieves would simply swipe credit cards to take the data off the magnetic strip and make phony cards. Typically a waiter or waitress would do this with your card when they took it away for a moment to bring it to the register, or a cashier who was good at memorizing numbers could do this. For various reasons, this was also a problem in the US but it wasn't as prevalent.

A chip and pin does directly address this above issue - it's simple multi-factor authentication. You have something, the chip; and you know something, the pin. Swiping the chip alone doesn't do you any good. Whether it's a chip or a magnetic strip is largely irrelevant. I suppose an RF chip may have been harder to read using off-the-shelf parts back in 1992, but not today.

I don't think this will address data theft from post-transaction stored data at all. This stored data likely contains both the credentials in the chip, and the pin.

Do you enter your pin when purchasing things online?
Old Feb 11, 2014, 04:17 PM   #17
Parasprite
macrumors 65816

Neat, my wife is obsessed with Whole Foods. Never been there myself but I can load her phone to try it out. Closest I've gotten to using a "bring-your-own mobile device"-type payment system so far was displaying screenshot of a Target Gift Card on my full-sized iPad at the register...

That felt as awkward as it sounded.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 04:25 PM   #18
MellowFuzz
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN7119 View Post
Are you being forced to shop at WF? Go get a life!!!!
You were warned that the post was pointless...!
MellowFuzz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2014, 04:36 PM   #19
BuffaloTF
macrumors member

Quote:
This is my trade in Payments & Cash Management for a multi-national... We've been at it for the better part of a decade now, but the system needs to be sold to retailers, which often may rely on old phone connections and not looking for a new system. Further, there was a vocal minority outcry of how someone can steal your card data from across a restaurant that we needed to deal with, which led to a lot of PayPass and Blink card deployments to be scaled back and magstrips to be re-issued by MasterCard and Visa. Now, it's ending by force in 2015 on any card on those 2 networks. I've yet to see what AmEx or Discover are doing, I would imagine exactly the same.

We are our own worst enemies sometimes, it didn't matter how much we tried to educate the benefits, people had their minds made up.
BuffaloTF is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2014, 04:40 PM   #20
bpbatch
macrumors member

••this post has been deleted by the author***

Last edited by bpbatch; Mar 26, 2014 at 01:45 PM.
bpbatch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2014, 05:12 PM   #21
dibs1234
macrumors newbie

2014 = restaurant revolution

2014 will be the year that cash registers are revolutionized by apps thanks to iBeacons and free POS solutions. It's a competitive field though with Shopkeep, Appay, and OpenTable putting their own unique spin on it. Enough so that Shopkeep managed to get in some Joe's Crab Shacks, Appay is in some Subway and Olive Gardens, and OpenTable will be almost hands free.
dibs1234 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2014, 05:14 PM   #22
reclusive46
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTF View Post
I've yet to see what AmEx or Discover are doing, I would imagine exactly the same.
If your referring to the EMV liability date, its October 15th 2015 for Amex and October 2015 for Discover.
reclusive46 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2014, 05:40 PM   #23
osx11
macrumors 6502a

What if I want to pay with my debit card?

How will I enter my pin?
osx11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2014, 06:07 PM   #24
cmwade77
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Actually, from my understanding it is more secure, because neither number gets stored anywhere, the transaction is processed right then and there. The money comes out of your account and there is no further processing needed, which means that the card number was never stored somewhere to allow it to get stolen.
cmwade77 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2014, 06:46 PM   #25
ipedro
macrumors 68020

Square will have a hard time expanding this outside the US with their current reader. Magnetic strips are out in Canada and several European countries I've visited. Chip and tappable cards are the norm. Some of my bank cards don't even come with magnetic strips.

I use Square to charge my clients but lately, I've been having less and less clients able to pay with a swipe.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion