Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Feb 12, 2014, 09:06 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

New FAA Rule Prohibits Non-Essential Use of Electronics in Airplane Cockpits

At the same time the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration is easing restrictions on the in-flight use of electronics for passengers, it is tightening its rules on electronics usage by pilots. A new FAA rule (PDF) published on Tuesday prohibits the personal use of electronic devices by flight crew members while an aircraft is being operated. It is an addendum to the FAA's 1981 "Sterile Cockpit" rule that requires pilots to refrain from non-essential activities during critical phases of flight.
Quote:
This final rule will prohibit flightcrew members in operations under part 121 from using a personal wireless communications device or laptop computer for personal use while at their duty station on the flight deck while the aircraft is being operated. This rule, which conforms FAA regulations with legislation, is intended to ensure that certain non-essential activities do not contribute to the challenge of task management on the flight deck or a loss of situational awareness due to attention to non-essential tasks.
This FAA rule is a response to earlier instances of distracted flying by commercial airline pilots. In one 2009 incident, two pilots for Northwest, now Delta Air Lines, overshot their destination airport by 150 miles because they were using their personal laptops. During a 78-minute period, neither pilot noticed communications sent by company dispatchers and air traffic control. They only corrected course after a flight attendant called the cockpit to check on the flight's estimated time of arrival.

Though the personal use of electronic devices is banned, the FAA rule does permit the essential use of electronic flightbooks in the cockpit. Several US airlines, including JetBlue, American Airlines and United, have adopted iPads to replace heavy flight bags. These iPads are equipped with key flight charts, reference documents and checklists necessary for the operation of the aircraft.

While pilots must pay attention while flying, a recent FCC proposal would allow passengers to make phone and data calls while flying. In response to consumer opposition to in-flight calling, lawmakers are drafting a bill that would ban in-flight phone calls, says the Associated Press.
Quote:
"Most passengers would like their flights to go by as quickly and quietly as possible," Rep. Bill Shuster, R-Pa., the committee's chairman and sponsor of the bill, said. "When it comes to cellphones on planes, tap don't talk."
The bill requires the Department of Transportation to issue regulations that would prohibit phone calls during flight. The bill has passed the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee and will move to the floor for discussion.

Article Link: New FAA Rule Prohibits Non-Essential Use of Electronics in Airplane Cockpits
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2014, 09:08 AM   #2
rdlink
macrumors 65816

Ummm, Duh?
Old Feb 12, 2014, 09:11 AM   #3
dannyyankou
macrumors 68000

Right, because otherwise pilots would be checking twitter and playing Flappy Bird
dannyyankou is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2014, 09:28 AM   #4
jreuschl
macrumors 6502

Wonder if this is from the Southwest mis-landing.
jreuschl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2014, 09:38 AM   #5
Macman45
macrumors G5

This is just common sense....would you want your pilot messing with his / her tablet or smartphone when they are responsible for your life? I'm pretty sure that this has been in the works for a while...we can play while they get paid.

Just seems right to me.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 09:40 AM   #6
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
Customers talking on cell phones should be banned by the airlines, not by the FAA or any other government organization, if the issue is entirely with it being rude rather than it having to do with safety.

Phone calls are banned on a bus I frequently ride, and all electronic devices must be silenced, as a consideration for other passengers, not because it would cause any technical problems.
ArtOfWarfare is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2014, 09:54 AM   #7
colinc
macrumors newbie

Flight Attendants

Are flight attendants considered part of the "flightcrew"? I'm just wondering because it seems like, more and more, instead of walking around serving customers you walk up to the galley and they're all back there playing on their phones.
colinc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2014, 10:00 AM   #8
SavMBP15
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyyankou View Post
Right, because otherwise pilots would be checking twitter and playing Flappy Bird
You would be SO surprised at to what goes on in the cockpit.
SavMBP15 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2014, 10:38 AM   #9
zorinlynx
macrumors 68020

Honestly I would rather have the pilots entertained goofing around on their phones than falling asleep because they have nothing to engage their minds during the hours-long cruise portion of the flight.

Modern aircraft, once in cruise on autopilot, require almost no interaction with the crew to fly. There's no reason to have the pilots staring out into space with absolutely nothing to do. If there's a problem, aircraft systems will let them know and they can deal with it.
zorinlynx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2014, 10:51 AM   #10
losthorse
macrumors member

-- removed by user --

Last edited by losthorse; Jul 15, 2014 at 09:19 PM.
losthorse is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2014, 11:37 AM   #11
FakeWozniak
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavMBP15 View Post
Sausage factory and politics!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jreuschl View Post
I think that was distractions from a 'visitor' in the cockpit.
FakeWozniak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2014, 11:42 AM   #12
JAT
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtOfWarfare View Post
Customers talking on cell phones should be banned by the airlines, not by the FAA or any other government organization, if the issue is entirely with it being rude rather than it having to do with safety.

Phone calls are banned on a bus I frequently ride, and all electronic devices must be silenced, as a consideration for other passengers, not because it would cause any technical problems.
Are you allowed to talk to each other, Oliver?
JAT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2014, 12:30 PM   #13
mschmalenbach
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorinlynx View Post
Honestly I would rather have the pilots entertained goofing around on their phones than falling asleep because they have nothing to engage their minds during the hours-long cruise portion of the flight.

Modern aircraft, once in cruise on autopilot, require almost no interaction with the crew to fly. There's no reason to have the pilots staring out into space with absolutely nothing to do. If there's a problem, aircraft systems will let them know and they can deal with it.
... right up to the point where the monitoring / indication & warning system(s) fail...

... and if they're not focused on the flight/journey etc, then they have no situational awareness, which is exactly what they need the instant a problem is recognised...

Do we really have to wait until there is a loss of life and an aircraft before doing the sensible thing of banning the use of these items in the flight deck?

Oh, and by the way, pre-flight checking/prep of the aircraft is also, in my book (ex air force instructor & flight safety officer) is also a critical stage of flight, even though the aircraft is not in the air - or even necessarily moving...

I agree though that maintaining alertness during the cruise phase is an ongoing challenge.
mschmalenbach is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2014, 01:05 PM   #14
Rajani Isa
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorinlynx View Post

Of course, in the mentioned incident here - there was no "Problems" as far as auto-pilot is concerned. So the plane went miles out of it's way. They were so "harmlessly" distracted that they missed communications from the ground. That's always a serious safety issue.
Rajani Isa is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2014, 01:12 PM   #15
bradl
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by jreuschl View Post
Nope.. from NWA188 from SAN-MSP where they were supposed to land in Minneapolis, but were 150 miles past their destination before ATC got hold of them. They were too busy on their personal laptops at that time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
October 21, 2009 – Northwest Airlines Flight 188, an Airbus A320, flying from San Diego International Airport to Minneapolis-St Paul International Airport flew over the Minneapolis airport and continued to fly off course by 150 miles, leaving air traffic control to think the flight had been hijacked. The pilots originally stated they were in an argument regarding airline policy and did not notice that they had flown off course, but later admitted to having been using their personal laptop computers at the time. The pilots contacted air traffic control after they realized their mistake and arrived in safely Minneapolis about one hour late. The pilots' commercial flying licenses were subsequently revoked by the FAA.
BL.

Last edited by bradl; Feb 12, 2014 at 01:23 PM.
bradl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2014, 01:45 PM   #16
imageWIS
macrumors 6502a

So, no vibrators?
imageWIS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2014, 01:46 PM   #17
randian
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyyankou View Post
I've never met a government employee that didn't think we proles couldn't function without them.
randian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2014, 01:47 PM   #18
roadbloc
macrumors 604

Good. They need to be focusing on flying.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 03:29 PM   #19
ptb42
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FakeWozniak View Post
I think that was distractions from a 'visitor' in the cockpit.
No, it was an FAA-certified dispatcher, who is required to make a trip as an observer in a cockpit jump seat at least once per year.

The people allowed access to the cockpit during flight is limited by FAR 121.583. It's a pretty small list, and all of them are very aware of their obligation to not interfere with the flight crew in any way, especially below 10,000 feet.

The media's claim of "distraction" is laughable to anyone that knows the regulations and airline policies. I'll wait until the NTSB releases their report, but I suspect it was as simple as the pilots thinking they had identified the airport, but focused on the wrong one.
ptb42 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2014, 03:30 PM   #20
SockRolid
macrumors 65816

No Flappy Bird frenzy while you're on duty, Captain!
Old Feb 12, 2014, 03:36 PM   #21
Nunyabinez
macrumors 6502a

"You sunk my battleship!"
Old Feb 12, 2014, 04:00 PM   #22
Glideslope
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptb42 View Post
No, it was an FAA-certified dispatcher, who is required to make a trip as an observer in a cockpit jump seat at least once per year.

The people allowed access to the cockpit during flight is limited by FAR 121.583. It's a pretty small list, and all of them are very aware of their obligation to not interfere with the flight crew in any way, especially below 10,000 feet.

The media's claim of "distraction" is laughable to anyone that knows the regulations and airline policies. I'll wait until the NTSB releases their report, but I suspect it was as simple as the pilots thinking they had identified the airport, but focused on the wrong one.
No distractions just a couple of WN Cowboys flying a VFR approach and screwing up.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 04:20 PM   #23
bradl
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glideslope View Post
No distractions just a couple of WN Cowboys flying a VFR approach and screwing up.
Picking nits here, I know..

but they weren't on a VFR approach. Visual Approach, yes, but that is an IFR procedure. And in all fairness, they weren't the first, and certainly not the last.

NWA1152, scheduled from MSP to Rapid City, SD, made it to its destination, but instead of landing at Rapid City Airport, landed at Ellsworth AFB, 10 miles away.

And let's not forget that Boeing Dreamlifter that was supposed to land at Wichita that landed at a Jabara airport, 12 miles northeast of Wichita.

BL.
bradl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2014, 05:34 PM   #24
awair
macrumors member

This ruling may make sense to many, but it represents both too much and too little, while failing to address the real problem.

Automation (and system reliability) has already reduced crew workload from requiring a 5-man crew to just 2. And the only reason the 2nd person is needed (in cruise) is in case someone needs a bathroom break!

"The sledge-hammer to crack the walnut": it's very different operation for crews on a short 2-hour domestic flight, traversing busy metropolitan areas compared to a 16-hour polar flight which has a 5-hour period of "dark nothingness".

"Don't want the pilots sleeping...": it's approved in Europe, and scientifically verified. Different places, different rules.

"I'm not allowed to drive using my phone": with the exception of the Google cars, you don't have an autopilot - you're manually driving the car! (And in some places; "what's that idiot in front doing, 70mph and he's only 20-feet ahead of me...") What if the proposed ban on mobile use during driving was technically enforced? Cell stations sense you are moving in a car, and inhibit operation. Great idea, but it can't tell if you are the passenger or driver! Just like the car Nav systems that don't let your passenger program for you, while driving.

Pilots already have the "Sterile Cockpit" rule, and a professional/legal responsibility "not to be distracted". As humans, some are better or more compliant than others.

So who do you want flying your aeroplane?
Someone sleeping, so they are fresh to face challenges,
Someone wide awake, engrossed in "level 35 of Mission X"
Someone reading a book,
Or an e-book...

Chances are you've got several of all of these in any airline...

... at least, for the next two months!
awair is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2014, 05:49 PM   #25
PracticalMac
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavMBP15 View Post
Where is the stewardess when you need her??
PracticalMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion