Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Feb 12, 2014, 10:14 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

iOS Dominates Enterprise Market with 73% of Mobile Device Activations

iOS devices accounted for 73 percent of all enterprise mobile device activations and grabbed the top ten spots for most popular devices in the fourth quarter of 2013, reports Good Technology in its Mobility Index Report for Q4 2013.
Quote:
From a device perspective, we continued to see an increase in iOS activations this quarter, which we can attribute to two new iPhone models coming to market just before the start of the quarter. The overall number of device activations has increased 34 percent from Q1 to Q4 of this year, indicating strong, continued growth and adoption of the Good Secure Mobility Solution. As many organizations are migrating away from BlackBerry to meet end user demand and embrace newer platforms like iOS and Android, they are deploying Good's cross-platform solution to secure both their data and devices.
Good obtains this data from its customers that use the company's Good Dynamics Secure Mobility Platform. Its customer base includes many Fortune 500 companies in commercial banking, insurance, healthcare, retail, and government. The device usage report from these enterprise users shows that the iPhone made up 54 percent of total device activations, while Android smartphones followed with just over 20 percent.

The iPad maintains a strong hold on tablet activations, claiming 91.4 percent of enterprise tablet activations in Q4 2013, while Android accounted for the remaining 8.6 percent. The iPad was most popular in Financial Services and in Business and Professional Services, with the two sectors accounting for 60 percent of all Q4 iPad activations.

Apple routinely highlights corporate adoption of iOS devices during press events and earning conference calls. During Apple's recent quarterly earnings conference call, CEO Tim Cook confirmed "the enterprise area has huge potential" and said he expects Apple "would have more and more payback in the future" due to the company's investment in this area.

Article Link: iOS Dominates Enterprise Market with 73% of Mobile Device Activations
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2014, 10:17 AM   #2
Jeff750
macrumors newbie

And of course

this means Apple is doomed because there's no way it can grow any more.
Jeff750 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2014, 10:22 AM   #3
GeneralChang
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff750 View Post
My dog threw up this morning. Iím pretty sure thatís another sign that Apple is doomed.
GeneralChang is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2014, 10:23 AM   #4
musika
macrumors 65816

Remember when people would laugh if you used 'Apple' and 'Enterprise' in the same sentence?
Old Feb 12, 2014, 10:28 AM   #5
jayducharme
macrumors 68000

I'm really (pleasantly) surprised by this. Enterprise was the one area Apple could never seem to break into. At my workplace, the bulk of IT deployment is ancient Windows XP boxes. Their server is Windows. But more and more workers are asking for Apple devices to use instead of Windows machines. It's interesting to watch our CIO endorse iOS devices and Macs, while many of her staff who are dyed-in-the-wool Windows advocates drag their heels and try to convince the workers that Windows devices are better.

I manage a large set of Mac labs, and it's been an uphill battle advocating to get someone on the IT staff who knows Macs. Maybe the tide has finally turned (probably thanks to Windows 8) and Apple adoption will continue to grow here. I can't wait!
jayducharme is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2014, 10:32 AM   #6
Rogifan
macrumors 604

There is a lot I can do with my iPad at my office. Honestly, Microsoft should focus on getting Office on the iPad, not Surface. I'll bet they'd make more $$ off of iPad Office subscriptions (even with an Apple commission) than they are selling surface devices.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 10:35 AM   #7
bluespark
macrumors 6502

The headline and main sentence are completely wrong, and are based on a misreading of the study. It simply surveys the devices using the Good mobility platform; it does not purport to survey enterprise activations in any larger sense. Given that Good's base is hugely skewed in favor of iOS devices, the article's premise is simply dead wrong.
bluespark is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2014, 10:47 AM   #8
Amplelink
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
There is a lot I can do with my iPad at my office. Honestly, Microsoft should focus on getting Office on the iPad, not Surface. I'll bet they'd make more $$ off of iPad Office subscriptions (even with an Apple commission) than they are selling surface devices.
Well they clearly don't want to do that now because of how that might jeopardize Surface sales. But if Surface continues to do poorly, I wouldn't be surprised for Office to appear on the iPad.
Amplelink is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2014, 10:52 AM   #9
Revearti
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by musika View Post
Remember when people would laugh if you used 'Apple' and 'Enterprise' in the same sentence?
So true. I need to send this article to a few of those people.
Revearti is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2014, 10:58 AM   #10
gotluck
macrumors 68030

IOS is great in enterprise because its easy on the admin .
gotluck is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2014, 11:03 AM   #11
Bare
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
I'll bet they'd make more $$ off of iPad Office subscriptions (even with an Apple commission) than they are selling surface devices.
Especially since they aren't making money off selling Surface devices.

And hey, remember RIM? I used to work at a place that wouldn't allow you to use your iPhone as an enterprise device -- BB only. It wasn't even that long ago, but it seems like ancient history now.
Bare is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2014, 11:28 AM   #12
bbfc
macrumors 68000

We use iPads at work for customer ordering. They are so easy to use and carry around.

We also have a large touch screen customer order point that runs Windows 8 and it's so unreliable. Constantly crashing. Our engineers keep telling us it's a Windows problem.
bbfc is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2014, 12:16 PM   #13
nagromme
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by musika View Post
They still do

An invisible man came to the Apple store for help with his enterprise email, but was told, "We can't see you today."
nagromme is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2014, 12:48 PM   #14
proline
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluespark View Post
The headline and main sentence are completely wrong, and are based on a misreading of the study. It simply surveys the devices using the Good mobility platform; it does not purport to survey enterprise activations in any larger sense. Given that Good's base is hugely skewed in favor of iOS devices, the article's premise is simply dead wrong.
This is the MacRumors forums. Logic and facts have no place here.
proline is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2014, 12:59 PM   #15
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff750 View Post
As the point person for IT in my office, I'd love to move away from Windows server and PCs. I'm relatively new, but it just seems like you get nickle and dimed for every little thing...

Personally I don't mind using Windows, but you spend so much maintaining the network. Apple could really make something happen in the enterprise environment.
8281 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2014, 02:54 PM   #16
Jimmy James
macrumors 68000

Nonsense. Everyone knows the RIM owns this space. I mean Blackberry.
Jimmy James is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2014, 03:10 PM   #17
Gregrobb
macrumors newbie

Another opinion

Quote:
Here's another take... http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/tag/good-technology/
Gregrobb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2014, 03:28 PM   #18
BaldiMac
macrumors 604

Quote:
Given that Good's base is hugely skewed in favor of iOS devices,
Source?
BaldiMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2014, 04:22 PM   #19
toke lahti
macrumors 65816

Worldwide?
U.S.?
5matteScreen&higherRez 13" 6lightport 7another fw(through ec ok)
8 10G-ethernet 9 xMac:desktopCPU+GPU,free pci-e,2 int. hdd
toke lahti is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2014, 04:28 PM   #20
Cuban Missles
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
My office was a complete BB implementation just last year. They made the decision to convert to BYOD and settled on Good as the platform to contain enterprise data on a personal device. First the name is perfect - it's not great, just good. Second, employees are allowed to bring whatever device they want.

In my office I see it as about 60-70% apple and the rest is samsung. I don't see any windows phones and the BBs have disappeared. I would say there is about 1-2% that still use feature phones.

So at least in my work, this article seems consistent with my experience. Also since most enterprises are now BYOD, if good is skewed towards apple, it is only because that is what workers are bringing to the office. Although possible, I don't think that offices without Good would have a significantly different experience.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 04:38 PM   #21
tongxinshe
macrumors 6502

Fortune 500? Good mobility platform? Totally focusing on the US market, then. iPhone's market share in the US is around 50%, while only around 12% worldwide.
tongxinshe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2014, 05:16 PM   #22
BaldiMac
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by tongxinshe View Post
Fortune 500? Good mobility platform? Totally focusing on the US market, then.
What makes you think so?

From the linked report: "With a diverse global customer base..."
BaldiMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2014, 08:23 PM   #23
OGDK
Banned

Darn, I was hoping Microsoft's 1337 g4ming Surface tablet would be on the chart to laugh at.
OGDK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2014, 08:21 PM   #24
Tech guy
macrumors newbie

They are thebest for the blind with voice over I know a few blind people with Apple devices
Old Feb 14, 2014, 02:57 PM   #25
MattG
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy James View Post
Nonsense. Everyone knows the RIM owns this space. I mean Blackberry.
OWNED. Past tense.

They may still have a large marketshare but it's quickly going to fade. Outdated hardware, inability to keep up with the times, and no real advantage to having a BES anymore when there are plenty of iOS enterprise management tools on the market...why bother with Blackberry anymore? They sat there twiddling their thumbs thinking Apple would never contribute anything significant enough to the market to compete with them, and now they're reaping the consequences. They're so desperate that now they're even letting you manage iOS/Android with BES.

My company has/had around 100 of them, because at the time it was the best solution. Now, our BES is all but gone. Once we complete the iPhone rollout we're currently working on, Blackberry will be a thing of the past at my organization.

Last edited by MattG; Feb 14, 2014 at 03:02 PM.
MattG is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion