Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As Apple continues its quest to make its iOS devices thinner and lighter, the company will take advantage of advancements in LED backlighting technology to shift to thinner components for the iPhone 6 and upcoming iPad models, according to a report from LEDinside, a division of research firm TrendForce.

iphone_5s_5c_ipads.jpg

The report notes that a thinner design will see Apple shifting from 0.6 mm thick side-view LED backlights to 0.4 mm thick modules, but also questionably claims that the iPhone 6 will arrive in June. The iPhone 6 is generally expected to arrive in the same September-October timeframe seen in recent years.
According to sources from Apple supply chain, the iPhone 6 is likely to be released in June 2014, and will have larger monitor size of 4.7". Industry insiders also projected the iPhone 6 will have a much lighter frame, which will lead to upgrades in LED backlight specs. In the previous generation, the iPhone used 0.6t side-view type LED, in contrast the new iPhone will probably be adopting 0.4t side-view type LED.
Apple has been rumored to be increasing display size for the iPhone 6, and while LEDinside's report only mentions a 4.7-inch model, a number of other claims have included an even larger model at 5.5-5.7 inches. Larger displays will undoubtedly lead to larger device bodies, but that extra height and width could give Apple more room to spread out components and reduce device thickness from the current 7.6 mm of the iPhone 5s, and thinner backlights could aid that goal in an industry where fractions of a millimeter count.

LEDinside claims that similar changes are coming for the iPad, particularly with a rumored 12-inch model. According to the report, new iPads will see their backlights shift to 0.6 mm thick modules from the current 0.8 mm components.

Article Link: Apple Likely to Slim Down iPhone and iPad with Thinner and Lighter Backlights

Corrode

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2008
Calgary, AB
I already think the iPhone is a bit too thin for comfort in my hand. But it's perfect with a case on it so I guess its the best of both worlds for those who like it thin, and those who like it thick. (There must be a euphemism in there somewhere.)

Wuiffi

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2011
and reduce device thickness from the current 7.6 mm of the iPhone 5s, and thinner backlights could aid that goal in an industry where fractions of a millimeter count

yes it counts. Don't make it thinner!!!

Leave it so you can improve the camera and put in a bigger battery!!!!
No need for even thinner devices

chirpie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2010
How light is too light? I like just a touch of heft myself. The weight of the 4s was my comfort zone.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
I feel like a broken record for saying this, but I wish Apple would keep the thickness the same and use the extra space for a bigger battery.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Good! My number one complaint was always how thick the iPhone is! :rolleyes:

Keep the same thick-ness and add a better camera or more battery. At some point its too thin.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
If the rumors are true, the next iPhone will be a 4.7/5.5" sheet of paper.

Attachments

• paper_01.png
    paper_01.png
    7.4 KB · Views: 296

gatearray

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
Going back to June like the iPhone 4, etc. has made a lot of sense to me for a while now. There's too much money being left on the table and the market wants an iPhone with a larger screen NOW so the sooner the better.

sputnikv

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2009
there will be a point in which thinner and lighter combined with a larger and better screen can no longer be improved or appreciated

lucky4udanny

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2014
That's thin

0.6mm screen. I thought they meant for the whole device for a moment.

Last edited:

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
I feel like a broken record for saying this, but I wish Apple would keep the thickness the same and use the extra space for a bigger battery.
You have hit the nail on the head! Battery life is a primary characteristic that they could improve and and using the extra space for an increase in battery size is the way to go. Of course, if they have found another way to give great battery life without increasing the battery size and adding that extra weight, I'm all for thinner.

nazaar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2008
I don't think the iPhone needs to be any thinner than current model. When it gets too thin and light then it just doesn't feel solid/comfortable in hand.

mskill

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2013
Even though I upgraded to the 5s at the end of 2013, I wouldn't be mad if they returned to a June release. Tired of waiting most of the year to see a release.

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2012
Macrumors states that the iPhone is generally expected to arrive this fall, but then follows that sentence with a quote that states that the iPhone is expected to be released in June 2014. Reads a little oddly!

Reducing thickness is great, but I really don't need a thinner iPhone. If any components can be thinned, it'd be great to use that extra space for a marginally bigger battery. Smartphone battery life still leaves quite a bit to be desired for phones as thin as the iPhone. Give us the same or similar form factor with iPad-like battery life and I'll be a happy camper.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
How about making it thinner but adding some lead shot to it so if feels heavier in the hand? :D

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
If the rumors are true, the next iPhone will be a 4.7/5.5" sheet of paper.

Actually, when I see those dynamic newspapers in sic-fi movies (like Minority Report) I get really excited about the idea of a foldable, bendable sheet display with wifi.

Maybe Apple will get us there incrementally ;)

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Everything Apple makes is thin, slippery and easy to drop. You almost need a case for the iPad and iPhone and the MBA is slippery to, but at least it's a little bigger to get a better grip. Thin for the sake of being thin isn't so hot, IMO.

applestory

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2013
Even though I upgraded to the 5s at the end of 2013, I wouldn't be mad if they returned to a June release. Tired of waiting most of the year to see a release.

I think its more of a business strategy that they do a September release. In September, "back to school" madness happens, so some parents might buy their kids new iPhones for school or whatnot. And following September, you have big ass holidays like B Friday and Christmas (Hanukkah/among others...).

opposed to a june release, more people will forget to buy for the Holidays... since its so far away. and apple will fall behind to whoever releases products very close to the Holiday season.

But in reality, I want a june release! but I highly, highly doubt it. :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.