Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
iphone-6-hero1-250x234.jpg

First iOS7 copied the feel of Android in certain ways.

Now iPhone is copying the jumbo screen feel and it kind of comes back full circle, essentially signyfying that the competition was where we were going to be years ahead of us. I mean look at that phone on the right; it just feels like and looks like it is turning into what the competition has had for so long now.

Looking back in hindsight, when do you guys think Apple should have made the push and came out with a larger screen? Around iPhone 4 era?

I can't help feeling like its admitting we should have done it before.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I wouldn't say that a bigger screen is copying since there are bigger screened iOS devices. Plus everything we know now is rumored.

carjakester

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2013
Midwest
What they are doing now is fine, they haven't had trouble selling iphones without jumbo screens, i could only imagine a larger screen would bring in more sales.

shawndc1

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2014
copycat i dont think so

every phone company has basically copied apple from day 1 when it comes to phones from designs to layouts, apple isnt copying anybody the larger screen is some what a trend and apple sees this, this is why the phone will come in 2 diff sizes (supposedly) for those who in fact want a larger iphone and those who dont mind a bit larger screen. i personally want a larger iphone not the big galaxy size 5in screen, i dont mind more screen we cant keep paying hundreds for the same thing each year

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
I don't think it's copying because I think apple coul have thought of a bigger screen on their own. And a ton of phones have big screens are they all copying each other?

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
I don't want a bigger screen. In that respect I think Apple has stayed ahead of the curve longer by continuing to keep their phones small.

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
How does a size of a device have anything to do with coping? That is beyond a generic thing to complain about, hey that guys hair is the same length as mine he copied!, your shoes are a size 10 too! copy cat!!!

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
Apple does this well. Let everyone else make larger screens, then come along and do it better.

Exactly how are they going to do it better? You really can't get much better than how the moto X did it. Same size body as the iphone 5 with a 4.7 inch screen. Much more comfortable to hold as well.

----------

Bottom line, it's copying the competition but when Apple does it, it's not. That will be the majority opinion you will find here.

Exactly. I am already seeing people in this thread performing these exact mental gymnastics.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
I'm unclear on the importance of the source of an idea, as long as it works in a way that pleases the owner.

All I want is a device that does what I want it to do...I don't really came from where the idea came.

IFRIT

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2012
Everyone copies the best bits of what others are doing when it comes to mobile devices.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
How does a size of a device have anything to do with coping? That is beyond a generic thing to complain about, hey that guys hair is the same length as mine he copied!, your shoes are a size 10 too! copy cat!!!
Bingo. The original iPhone also made calls when it came out, just like tons of basic flip phones were doing for years--they must have copied that from all those phones!

thegrants82

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
Right here

First iOS7 copied the feel of Android in certain ways.

Now iPhone is copying the jumbo screen feel and it kind of comes back full circle, essentially signyfying that the competition was where we were going to be years ahead of us. I mean look at that phone on the right; it just feels like and looks like it is turning into what the competition has had for so long now.

Looking back in hindsight, when do you guys think Apple should have made the push and came out with a larger screen? Around iPhone 4 era?

I can't help feeling like its admitting we should have done it before.

Your post makes absolutely no sense at all.

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
Apple does this well. Let everyone else make larger screens, then come along and do it better.

The point is that in the past, the supposed reason for not having large screens is because we didn't want them that large. Now its like, "oh actually we do want them that large". Well what about this whole time? The implication was that we should have had it sooner so its admitting we were behind the curve this whole time just by implication of making one finally.

No, first Android copied the feel of iOS in certain ways.

Well we still won the war, but I can't help feel like they won this battle of screen sizes.

I vividly remember making a big deal about wanting a bigger screen around the time the iPhone 4 came out.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Isn't Android in itself a "copy" of iOS and pretty much every smartphone on the market now an evolution of the original iPhone from 2007?

All of these things come full circle when it comes to these companies doing what each other are doing in a given industry.

Even though Apple has been outselling the competition with smaller screened phones, they realize that they're missing a segment of the market by not cashing in on the giant screen market as well. They'll make a larger screen phone to address it just like they made the iPad Mini when they realized they were missing a segment of the tablet market.

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
Isn't Android in itself a "copy" of iOS and pretty much every smartphone on the market now an evolution of the original iPhone from 2007?

All of these things come full circle when it comes to these companies doing what each other are doing in a given industry.

Even though Apple has been outselling the competition with smaller screened phones, they realize that they're missing a segment of the market by not cashing in on the giant screen market as well. They'll make a larger screen phone to address it just like they made the iPad Mini when they realized they were missing a segment of the tablet market.

What do you mean by when they realized??

...they should've known this would happen the whole time and could have reacted long ago. The tech was obviously there.

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
Frankly my dear, I don't give a ***** if Apple does or not. Will not loose any sleep over it either. Sorry OP, and others that do. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.