Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Original poster
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I am working to start up a church near where I live. I have purchased a domain for the church and I want to create a website for it. This is a startup church that has a limited budget. I am looking for a site that will help me build the site, host it, provide a couple of email accounts, etc.

I have looked at Homestead and Network Solutions. Anyone have some suggestions or advice?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

prostuff1

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
Don't step into the kawoosh...
I am working to start up a church near where I live. I have purchased a domain for the church and I want to create a website for it. This is a startup church that has a limited budget. I am looking for a site that will help me build the site, host it, provide a couple of email accounts, etc.

I have looked at Homestead and Network Solutions. Anyone have some suggestions or advice?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

http://www.squarespace.com/

Flood123

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2009
Living Stateside
It's really hard to say what would be best. In my opinion most of the square space or wix sites I have seen that are put together by non designer types look like a jumbled mess. That's just a personal opinion.
If it were me and I knew nothing about design or dev I would probably pick up a hosting account with any number of hosting providers (i.e. Media temple, Bluehost, Dreamhost, or go daddy ). A shared hosting plan should be adequate and inexpensive. At this point you can call the host and they will likely be able to walk you through installing Wordpress on your server. Then after that is finished you can pick up any number of Wordpress theme templates and then via the Wordpress dashboard which is fairly straight forward, you can install your theme (again any good hosting company should be able to help you with).

Just by a quick search i was able to find these theme which would be a great place to start.
http://themeforest.net/category/wordpress/nonprofit/churches
The highest priced theme I can see there is about $60. You can change images out to customize to your liking.

There are TONS of options out there on the web. Some free. You just have to look. You will find something that suits your needs.

Anyhow, good luck to you. I hope you find that answers you need. Post any questions that you might have and I will try and help where I can. There are some other great people in here that are supremely helpful as well. They are likely to have valuable input.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.