Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ahheck01

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2006
I just bought a 2012 rMBP 15", 2.3ghz, 8gb, 256gb, and everything is great except... I move to a different screen and the image retention has lasted as long as 10 minutes! I checked the serial and it's out of the warranty - am I SOL? Any recommendations?

accountforit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2014
File a dispute/claim. If the seller won't take it back, escalate the claim to ebay. I think you have to wait a few days to escalate it.

Ebay will side with you. Send it back insured with a signature confirmation. You will be out the return shipping.

Ahheck01

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2006
File a dispute/claim. If the seller won't take it back, escalate the claim to ebay. I think you have to wait a few days to escalate it.

Ebay will side with you. Send it back insured with a signature confirmation. You will be out the return shipping.

The laptop is in perfect condition otherwise - is there any way that Apple would take care of it that others have experienced? I would see sending it back as a last resort.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC

That just messed up. Some sellers don't know anything about image retention and a friend of mine who's computer has both IR (I mentioned this to him) and is under AppleCare doesn't even care.

The laptop is in perfect condition otherwise - is there any way that Apple would take care of it that others have experienced? I would see sending it back as a last resort.

Contact an Apple Store. They can make exceptions.

Ahheck01

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2006
Contact an Apple Store. They can make exceptions.
Is an apple store more likely to make an exception than customer support on the phone? My closest store is 2hr away, but if that maximizes my chances, so be it.

accountforit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2014
That just messed up. Some sellers don't know anything about image retention and a friend of mine who's computer has both IR (I mentioned this to him) and is under AppleCare doesn't even.

It's messed up to return a faulty item? There is no difference returning a faulty item on ebay or returning a faulty item to Apple.

Get real.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Is an apple store more likely to make an exception than customer support on the phone? My closest store is 2hr away, but if that maximizes my chances, so be it.

Yes, the store is more likely to make an exception. You would be talking to person. Apple support is mostly unlikely make an exception unless it's recall.

It's messed up to return a faulty item? There is no difference returning a faulty item on ebay or returning a faulty item to Apple.

Get real.

Is it really faulty? It's not like the seller caused the issue if it really is one; if the seller sold it knowing the issue, then yes that's grounds for returning.

FrozenDarkness

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2009
if the seller has a zero return, return policy, ebay would have a hard time siding with the buyer. WHy don't you just take it to the genius bar? is it out of warranty too?

accountforit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2014
if the seller has a zero return, return policy, ebay would have a hard time siding with the buyer. WHy don't you just take it to the genius bar? is it out of warranty too?

Ebay doesn't care about a sellers return policy if the buyer claims there is an issue with the item. Return policies are a joke on ebay.

elviorion

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2014
Wisconsin, USA
Ebay does not ALWAYS side with the buyer in situations like this..I recently had a woman purchase a perfectly good laptop from me. It was a gaming rig, but a couple of years old. She had it for a few days, left good feedback, then started to complain about it. Said I sold her a broken pc, said it wouldnt run the game she wanted. I pointed out the pc didn't even meet the min req for the game she wanted to run. A few days later she tells me the video card is toast, and one of the hard drives don't work and that she wants a refund. I told her I could cover 1/3 of the cost to repair if it would make her happy but that this was a fully functioning machine when it was sent to her, that I had played Skyrim just the day before sending it in the mail to test it out, and that I would not accept a broken machine back.

Enter ebay. I am the one who actually escalated it to ebay, I was tired of her harassing emails. It took several days but ebay did side with me. They are not just autobots that issue refunds to anyone who cries foul for any reason. Depending on the wording of the auction you may or may not have a case. If the seller stated in the auction this was guaranteed 100% functional with no issues what-so-ever I would open a case. If no such claim was made, you could open a case but you likely wont win it. Better to talk with the seller and see if he would help out with the cost to repair. If you have not yet left feedback you may find he is willing to work with you a little..maybe?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.