Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

randomguyishere

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 24, 2010
I am a college student and take heavy notes in lectures on my iPad using Notability. Once the class is over, Notability syncs my notes to Dropbox automatically in PDF format. This is great for reviewing notes for an upcoming exam.

However, I have one professor that gives out a review before each test, and I find it helpful to complete the review and study off of that. Before I had my iPad, I would use my MacBook Pro to take notes, and was able to copy and paste between my notes and reviews to make for easy completion of the review. I find it easiest to complete the reviews on my Mac once I get home.

Now with the iPad as my primary note taker, I have no way of doing this. Notability saves as PDF, and my reviews are in Word format. Copying and pasting from a PDF to a Word document causes formatting issues that I cannot seem to get around.

Ideally, I want to be able to type notes on my iPad, sync them to Dropbox, access those notes on my Mac, and be able to copy and paste them into a Word document.

I found a free online PDF-Word converter (pdftoword.com), but it adds two spaces in between each word when I convert a PDF to a Word document, and there are still formatting issues. I'm not sure if this is a result of free software being poorly made, an issue with the font I am using in Notability, or another issue.

I would assume that the best solution is to find an iPad app that saves notes directly as a Word document in the first place. Does anybody know of an app like this?

I welcome all solutions - not just a new app!

Thanks in advanced!

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
Are you handwriting your notes in Notability (with a stylus), or are you typing them?

If typing, you could instead use Pages instead of Notability. Then, you could import your Word document into Pages, and both would be in the same app, and available in the iCloud.

randomguyishere

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 24, 2010
Are you handwriting your notes in Notability (with a stylus), or are you typing them?

If typing, you could instead use Pages instead of Notability. Then, you could import your Word document into Pages, and both would be in the same app, and available in the iCloud.

You might be onto something!

I have been typing my notes most recently, and Pages has the exporting abilities I need.

Looks like I'll be trying it out. Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.