Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

betaphi

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 23, 2014
Hey everybody,

I'm the developer of iScheduleTimeMachine, the perfect Tool to customize when you want Time Machine to backup your data.

Be it based on dynamic times (every 5 minutes to every week), idle based (when you haven't worked on the computer for 1 minute to 60 minutes), or based on fixed times (for example every day at 5:00 pm), iScheduleTimeMachine is the solution for you!

With iScheduleTimeMachine you can very easily customize when you want to create Time Machine backups. So the times when Time Machine was starting a backup right in the moment when you needed all the horsepowers of your Mac are finally over.

Also it is a full replacement for the standard Time Machine Menu Item as it provides control over Time Machine, as well as full backup progress indication. That keeps your Mac's Menu Bar tidy!

Also iScheduleTimeMachine keeps track of your backup statistic which is always an interesting thing.

Of course iScheduleTimeMachine is fully compatible with Mac OS X Mavericks (10.9) and it is optimized for minimal memory and CPU footprint.

Here's the link to the webpage: Click!

And here is the direct link to the Mac App Store: Click!

Also we have a full featured 7 day trial version:

If you have any feedback, feature requests or any other questions... let me know! ;-)

Hope it helps!

Last edited:

betaphi

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 23, 2014
Submitted Version iScheduleTimeMachine Version 1.1

Hello everybody,

I'm pleased to announce that I just submitted iScheduleTimeMachine Version 1.1 to the Mac App Store waiting for a review by Apple.

It is a bugfix release with the following changelog:

- fixed a bug that could lead to backup intervals being shortend
- fixed the bug that led to all selectable time menu entries being there twice
- fixed a bug where on systems with local Time Machine storage the statistic didn't show up

So, if you have problems with the bugs in the current Version, be assured that help is on the way! ;-)

betaphi

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 23, 2014
@rmacklyn: I don't understand what you mean by iOS in that context.

iScheduleTimeMachine works with Mac OS X's Time Machine. That's not available on iOS so there would be no point in having something like iScheduleTimeMachine on the iPhone/iPad.

Or did I get you wrong?

Best Regards

betaphi

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 23, 2014
Version 1.1 Released

Just wanted to let you guys know that Version 1.1 containing some critical bug fixes is out now!

Everything should now be working as intended... ;-)

betaphi

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 23, 2014
Announcement: iScheduleTimeMachine Version 1.2a and Free Trial

Hello everybody,

I'm glad to announce the iScheduleTimeMachine Version 1.2a with a full featured 7 day free trial.

Download iScheduleTimeMachine for free and start using it for free! :)

Here is the Link for the direct Download:

Donfor39

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2012
Lanarkshire Scotland
Hi

This is an excellent idea

does it work with an external hdd via airport extreme?

Ive been using time machine as backup 'when the macbook is connected to power'

The data I hold doesnt often change as I dont really download anything so it would be brillliant if I could schedule a timemachine backup maybe every few weeks or even 6 months that would be a great help

betaphi

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 23, 2014
Hello Donfor39,

iScheduleTimeMachine uses Time Machine, so it works with all Backup destinations that are supported by Time Machine.

Creating a Backup once every week is possible. But you have to know that this means one week that the Mac is running. If it is not powered or it is in sleeping mode the timer will not run...

But you know what? Best idea for you would be to just download the free trial version and try wether iScheduleTimeMachine fits your needs ;-)

Hope I could help! ;-)

Donfor39

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2012
Lanarkshire Scotland
Thanks

I'll purchase this from the app store this will be ideal for my current external hdd via time machine/aes

Nearly the weekend when I'll have time to download the app and setup maybe weekly backups

betaphi

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 23, 2014
@fhall1:

First of all thanks for hijacking my thread :)

Still I want to make clear that the App you are referring to does not have half the features iScheduleTimeMachine has.

iScheduleTimeMachine's unique features are:

- idle based backup
- detailed backup progress indication
- backup info
- backup statistic

Best regards :)

Donfor39

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2012
Lanarkshire Scotland
Hello Donfor39,

iScheduleTimeMachine uses Time Machine, so it works with all Backup destinations that are supported by Time Machine.

Creating a Backup once every week is possible. But you have to know that this means one week that the Mac is running. If it is not powered or it is in sleeping mode the timer will not run...

ope I could help! ;-)

purchased tha app today currrently using iScedule via mcb/aes/ext hdd

This will be fine scheduled for 1/week, Thanks :D

Donfor39

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2012
Lanarkshire Scotland
Where is my 500GB WDexternal hdd?

completed shceduled i schedule time machinebackup yesterday evening

so my time machine sparse bundleis showing as 179BG which is fine

Only 31 GB free remaining WD external hdd?:mad:

Where is the remaining 300 GB ?(approx)

betaphi

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 23, 2014
Announcement iScheduleTimeMachine Version 1.2

Hello everybody,

I'm proud to announce iScheduleTimeMachine Verison 1.2 is available over the Mac App Store starting today.

If you first want to try iScheduleTimeMachine before buying, here is the full featured 7 day trial version:

porthole2

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2014
So, what I am I missing?

I am running the app, have it set of revery 12 hour backup and I am still getting the default every hour back up.

And on the preferences window I have a message that says Last backup today at 10:58 pm, it is only 2:45 pm.

According to the info screen I am running V-1.2a, is that correct?I ask because you posted the new version posted today is 1.2

betaphi

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 23, 2014
@porthole2: you have to disable Time Machine in the System settings. Then iScheduleTimeMachine will take over the scheduling completely and backups will be created every 12 hours in your case.

To clarify the questions about the versions:

Version 1.2a is the latest Version from the website
Version 1.2 is the latest Version from the Mac App Store

Both are on the same feature level. The difference is only in the way they are distributed and how some things work in the background because Apple does not allow some things the Website Version does. This is why the Mac App Store Version needs the additional helper script.

porthole2

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2014
Asking, because I haven't found any written instructions.

I disable Time Machine, where s ishcedule getting the backup scenario from then?

betaphi

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 23, 2014
I know that I didn't stress this point enough on first launch but there is an update coming making that more clear.

If you disable Time Machine in the System Settings you actually don't disable it completely. You just tell it to not perform any automatic backups. Apple didn't make that clear in the Settings Panel.

That's why even though Time Machine seems to be disabled iScheduleTimeMachine is still able to use the System's backup settings for it's automatic scheduled backups.

Hope that this clarifies iScheduleTimeMachine's behavior. ;-)

betaphi

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 23, 2014
Announcement Version 1.3

Hello everybody,

just want to announce that iScheduleTimeMachine Version 1.3 is out and ready for download on the Mac App Store and on the Website.

It improves user friendliness by adding important notes about setting up iScheduleTimeMachine.

Go ahead and check it out! ;-)

jjfgas

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2014
Animated icon

Hello,

I'm testing right now version 1.2.

With Mavericks, I miss the animated icon showing an on-going backup.

Do you plan such feature (as an option in program preferences) ?

Thanks

betaphi

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 23, 2014
@jjfgas:

Fist of all I hope you enjoy using iScheduleTimeMachine! ;-)

Do you mean an animation like the spinning arrow that used to indicate a Time Machine backup in prior Versions of Mac OS X?

Because the color of the "i" in the iScheduleTimeMachine Icon already changes to red when there is a Backup running.

Best Regards

jjfgas

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2014
Yes I mean like the rotating arrow of Time Machine in Mountain Lion for example.

I'm a bit colorblind, for me a small red "i" over grey background is not significantly different than a small black "i" over grey background. Even the tiny triangle added in Mavericks is more visible for me.

I expect something like previous OSX versions if possible, and I would buy it.

Thanks

betaphi

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 23, 2014
@jjfgas:
sorry for not answering faster... the problem with an animation is, that I'm a programmer not an animator... but I'll look into it for an update maybe to version 2.5 or so.

2.0 is already finished and I would advice everybody to update to version 1.4 as quick as possible because it is made to guarantee a smooth update to version 2.0 which will be out soon.

bingeciren

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2011
Donfor39 - If you're looking at Time Machine "schedulers" - have a look at Time Machine Editor http://timesoftware.free.fr/timemachineeditor/

I've used it for years (since OS X 10.5) with no issues....and it's free

Same with me. I use the TimeMachineEditor and it is fantastic. Set it once and forget it. I schedule my backups to take place at 3AM while I sleep and the machines are at idle.

Sure, iScheduledTimeMachine may have extra features but whether it is worth to pay or not, when there is a free alternative available, is for people to decide.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.