Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pendragon1984

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2013
There is so much bleed through around the side of the keys. The light up keyboard looks poorly implemented. Why can't apple make it look more like the light up buttons in a car? Those don't have a ton of bleed through around the sides. Do people agree that the light up keyboard isn't great?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I actually prefer what you refer to as "bleed through" rather than just lit buttons.
The lighting gives a comfortable glow around the keys and keyboard. I don't care for full brightness there, but enough glow to be more useful to me when typing. I touch-type to a limited degree, but need to see a key occasionally. The full glow makes that process seamless, at least for me in a barely-lit control booth.

Qaanol

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
For what it’s worth, you can hold ⌥⇧ (opt-shift) as you press the keyboard backlight buttons to adjust the brightness in quarter-steps. That lets you set it to quite a low level if you want. (The same technique also works for screen brightness and speaker volume.)

My big peeve with the keyboard backlight is that the threshold to turn it off it way too bright, and not user-adjustable. When I’m sitting in a normally-lit room, I want the keyboard light off because I can see the keys fine, but it stays lit up. So I have the keyboard backlight off permanently.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
For what it’s worth, you can hold ⌥⇧ (opt-shift) as you press the keyboard backlight buttons to adjust the brightness in quarter-steps. That lets you set it to quite a low level if you want. (The same technique also works for screen brightness and speaker volume.)

Interesting tip... thanks! :)

uiop.

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI

My big peeve with the keyboard backlight is that the threshold to turn it off it way too bright, and not user-adjustable. When I’m sitting in a normally-lit room, I want the keyboard light off because I can see the keys fine, but it stays lit up. So I have the keyboard backlight off permanently.

Awesome tip! Never knew that. :)

bigeasy_uk

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2005
Leamington Spa, England

I never knew that, very handy tip, thanks!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Great tip, and I don't usually turn my off. I love that feature of the MBP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.