Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple sold more iPhones, Macs, iPads and iPod Touch devices than the total number of computers sold by the entire Windows PC industry in the holiday quarter, according to research done by analyst Benedict Evans. According to the data, it's the first time that Apple has surpassed the PC market in hardware sales.

The company has long said that it believes the tablet market will eventually be larger than the PC market. If iPhones are considered, Apple's iOS ecosystem alone -- never mind its Mac sales -- is already very close to surpassing the PC market in unit sales, and perhaps even in dollar sales as well.

pcvsmac.png
Two years ago, we noted that Apple's hardware ecosystem -- the iPhone, iPad and Mac -- had a combined average selling price well above that of the PC market as a whole, and that statistic remains accurate to this day. For the just-ended holiday quarter, Apple saw an average hardware selling price of $584 across the iPhone, iPad, iPod, and Mac lines, according to MacRumors research.

For the third quarter of 2013, the most recent quarter with data available, the average Windows PC sold for just $544.30. This suggests that not only is Apple selling more devices than the entire Windows PC market, but it is making more revenue as well.

Article Link: Apple Sold More Macs and iDevices Than All Windows PCs Sold in Holiday Quarter

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Ooh, and the graph even looks like a minimalist city skyline with mountains in the background!

FbPTR3d.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: bobob

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
Is it just me or there is something wrong with that graph?
It doesn't seem to reflect what the title of the post says.

UPDATE: Never mind, I figured it out. I was looking at the combined Windows phone and PCs, instead of just PCs.

I moved to a new city a month ago. I haven't even set up my internet yet. I've been doing 100% of my computing all on my iphone with my "unlimited" at&t data plan. Been working out fine. I could go a long time with just my iPhone, but I'll be breaking down soon so I can watch netflix on my Apple TV (with no data cap).

Gotta watch house of cards season 2 after all!!! :D

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
This is a really stupid article..

Let's compare the total sales of computers, phones, tablets and mp3 players by one company to the total of just computers sold by the rest of the industry.

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
Is it just me or there is something wrong with that graph?
It doesn't seem to reflect what the title of the post says.

UPDATE: Never mind, I figured it out. I was looking at the combined Windows phone and PCs, instead of just PCs.

If you include windows phone with windows pcs Microsoft still sold more units.

Thares

Cancelled
Feb 25, 2011
A bit like comparing Apples and oranges...

Exactly what I thought. I dont know why they count iPads in. Its nothing like a real computer for me. And I owned several Windows Pcs and own currently a retina macbook.

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
Even if that is true, i think Apple needs more advertising on the streets, in the TV market and in the internet. Growing markets like India and China need the advertising.

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
Apple sold more of various devices including iPad, iPods, iPhones, and macs compared to only windows pcs? Not valid unless they include all windows 8 tablets and phones also sold...

Cmdrx3

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2013
What a stupid comparison. That's a bit like saying Hotpoint sold more washing machines, ovens, toasters, kettles dishwashers and fridge freezers combined than all other appliance companies sold toasters.

If some statsmonger wants to do comparisons then do them properly and don't slant it to prove whatever it is you want to prove.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Anyone who thinks iPhones and iPads aren't computers that are being used heavily for things that used to need an traditional-style computer is REALLY trying to cling to the past!

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
Anyone who thinks iPhones and iPads aren't computers that are being used heavily for things that used to need an traditional-style computer is REALLY trying to cling to the past!

Exactly. I can't tell you how many people I know that haven't bought a PC for use at home in years and that use their iPhones & iPads for almost everything now. The only PCs they ever use anymore are solely relegated to their desks at the office.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Must be a slow news day, or this is a new Macrumors low point. :rolleyes:

Because posts of "iWatch" concept devices or fake iPhone 6 leaks aren't? :rolleyes:

As far as the data I'm assuming Windows PCs includes tablets/convertible devices? If not then its a flawed graph. As far as iOS devices not being PCs, I guarantee you plenty of people are using iOS devices for stuff they used to do with Windows PCs.

LastQuadrant

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2013
Not really. By definition, an iPod Touch is a computer. It can run applications, it has an OS, processor, screen, input device, etc. People do use an iPod touch to just about anything an iPad can do, it's just marketed more as a media player/gaming device.

I think it's people's perception of what a computer is and what it isn't. But I think it's an interesting look at what's going on in the market.

Heck, there are some retail stores that are using an iPod Touch as a cash register, which is using the device for a business-related function.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.