Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 15, 2010
Best Buy is selling them for $150 today. Quantities were limited at the store I was in earlier this morning.

I've got one, its a first-gen gadget. I got the Tmobile special when I first bought mine, but it was still more than $200. If you've got a Note 3 or S4, I'd say its worth it at this price. Or wait a few more months for the second gen version.

LSUtigers03

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2008
I picked up one just try try it out. I figure if I hate it at worst I could sell it for what I paid for it.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Best Buy is selling them for $150 today. Quantities were limited at the store I was in earlier this morning.

I've got one, its a first-gen gadget. I got the Tmobile special when I first bought mine, but it was still more than $200. If you've got a Note 3 or S4, I'd say its worth it at this price. Or wait a few more months for the second gen version.

Bleh, they only have the raunchy colors on sale. I almost went for the oatmeal one, but it's already sold out. I really really want one, but will wait until after MWC when they announce the Gear 2 and buy a Gear 1 when the prices plummet.

Dontazemebro

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2010
I dunno, somewhere in West Texas
I might get one if it's going for $150 even though I don't need it.

Edit - just picked up a rose gold. Only the funky colors like lime green, beige, orange and rose gold are part of the sale. I'm not especially wowed but I haven't even unboxed it yet.

Last edited:

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
I'm not even sure if it will work with my GS4. That's a good price though, I wonder if they will continue to be so locked down.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
And that is the reason the Gear won't do too well. This and the fact that the Gear isn't a stand alone device kills any interest for me.

And the fact that it's a freaking ginormous piece of gear to be carrying on one's arm :eek: Looking forward to a thinner, more inconspicuous version. I love Samsung for getting the ball rolling here, but damn is that thing fugly.

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
I'm not even sure if it will work with my GS4. That's a good price though, I wonder if they will continue to be so locked down.

It should work fine, the S4 got the update a couple of months back.

Dontazemebro

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2010
And the fact that it's a freaking ginormous piece of gear to be carrying on one's arm :eek: Looking forward to a thinner, more inconspicuous version. I love Samsung for getting the ball rolling here, but damn is that thing fugly.

It's really not bulky at all and actuality has some flare to it. I've been getting a lot of remarks since wearing it. People are curious and seem to like it, although I haven't put it up to my face yet like out of a star trek movie. That would just seem ultra geeky :D

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2013
The next Galaxy Gear is expected to be released in the next couple of months. The current version looks nice but isn't near as functional as it could be.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado

Agreed.

The next Galaxy Gear is expected to be released in the next couple of months. The current version looks nice but isn't near as functional as it could be.

I agree. While I don't like the current version, I think it will be much better in the future.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
I'll wait until the third version of any of these smart watches before I consider one. Even then I'm not sure I'd actually use it everyday if I bought one.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
It's really not bulky at all and actuality has some flare to it. I've been getting a lot of remarks since wearing it. People are curious and seem to like it, although I haven't put it up to my face yet like out of a star trek movie. That would just seem ultra geeky :D

Well, I guess it's actually not that huge compared to many sports style watches. It's just that I'm more of a ultra basic line Casio guy so I found that the Gear rose up quite a lot from the skin, also that camera bulge irritated me somewhat. But I can see that it has a bit of flair, anyway sorry to be insulting your new watch like that :D

I'll keep hoping for a really flat one next time though. :) And with a redesigned ui......along with TouchWiz ofc...

Dontazemebro

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2010
Well, I guess it's actually not that huge compared to many sports style watches. It's just that I'm more of a ultra basic line Casio guy so I found that the Gear rose up quite a lot from the skin, also that camera bulge irritated me somewhat. But I can see that it has a bit of flair, anyway sorry to be insulting your new watch like that :D

I'll keep hoping for a really flat one next time though. :) And with a redesigned ui......along with TouchWiz ofc...

Hehe no worries. It's definitely not going to be an everyday wear for me. I still see a lot of basic functioning that needs to be improved on like simple text messaging notifications or universal compatibility with all android devices. The 1st Gen isn't quite there yet but Samsung has laid the ground work for a great follow up device.

I read on xda that you can root & rom to get it working on any phone. I might try that out to see how much usability it adds to the gear.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I love mine.. It's just what I need on the go.

----------

No it isnt

It is very slim actually and not bulky at all.

Dontazemebro

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2010
The best feature I've noticed so far is that when your galaxy phone is near the watch, it doesn’t require a passcode/unlock pattern. You can simply swipe to unlock. Once you're out of range, boom, passcode lock back in effect. Brilliant.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 15, 2010
I rooted mine and created a full wearable android device. Hardly anything works well on it though. I returned it to factory and with the December updates find it highly useful now. My Note 3 stays in my jacket pocket during meetings and such....can quickly glance at Gear and see if it's urgent before reaching for phone.

Dontazemebro

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2010
I rooted mine and created a full wearable android device. Hardly anything works well on it though. I returned it to factory and with the December updates find it highly useful now. My Note 3 stays in my jacket pocket during meetings and such....can quickly glance at Gear and see if it's urgent before reaching for phone.

How do you get text notifications or am I missing something.

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN

This would be nice. Also, I'm rehabbing my knee and would like the S Health link. I am anxious to see the 2nd generation.

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
I'll wait until the third version of any of these smart watches before I consider one. Even then I'm not sure I'd actually use it everyday if I bought one.
Ah yes, the popular tech will be better in the future post :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.