Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Keukasmallie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 30, 2011
WNY
All of a sudden the Calendar app on my MBP quits when I attempt to enter a New Event. Specifically, I want to enter a new event for May 5, 2014, to remind me to renew my cell phone minutes. When I attempt to do that, the app appears to hesitate then quits and I receive the "Quit Suddenly" error message with a request to send a report.

Your thoughts, suggestions, etc?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Keukasmallie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 30, 2011
WNY
and I also reinstalled Mavericks to no avail

Still suffering Calendar quitting unexpectedly.

Help....

Siderz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
What version of OSX are you on? Do you send the error reports? Have you restarted your Mac recently?

Keukasmallie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 30, 2011
WNY
An additional mystery is the fact that I can now post new events on Calendar by using the app Remind Me Later. However, I still can't click on New Event in Calendar and post a note w/o Calendar shutting down (and not accepting the New Event).

Curious.

Siderz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
I have no idea, hopefully someone else will be able to help otherwise contact Apple support. In the meantime you could use iCloud.com to put in events.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
All of a sudden the Calendar app on my MBP quits when I attempt to enter a New Event. Specifically, I want to enter a new event for May 5, 2014, to remind me to renew my cell phone minutes. When I attempt to do that, the app appears to hesitate then quits and I receive the "Quit Suddenly" error message with a request to send a report.

Your thoughts, suggestions, etc?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Make a new account on your Mac then login to that account and make a new test calendar. Can you make entries there and does that work with no issues? If that works, that tells us it is something specific to your account.

If the test account works, go back to your login and make sure you have a full backup. Then export all your calendars to the desktop using the File menu Export/Export... option. Now delete all the calendars from the Calendar app then quit the app.

Now open Finder then hit shift-command-g and paste in the path below and enter. Scroll down to find the file com.apple.CalendarAgent.plist and delete it.

Code:
~/Library/Preferences

Start Calendar app again and recreate each of your calendars one at a time then import the individual calendars you exported to the correct calendar.

Keukasmallie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 30, 2011
WNY
All went well through Preferences in Library, but there is no com.apple.CalendarAgent.plist file to delete....?

Any next step suggestions for me to follow? I do appreciate your thoughts and efforts on this issue!

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
All went well through Preferences in Library, but there is no com.apple.CalendarAgent.plist file to delete....?

Any next step suggestions for me to follow? I do appreciate your thoughts and efforts on this issue!

It should be there. Are you sure you are in the user ~/Library following the steps I gave and not the main /Library/Preferences folder?

Keukasmallie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 30, 2011
WNY
Weaselboy, I went through the procedure you outlined twice, carefully. I could post new events in the test calendar with the work account log-in, then I logged in in my account, exported, deleted, re-started Calendar, etc. Bottom line: Still unable to post new event in my account, BUT I can using Remind Me Later app.

I did find that originally I was in the wrong Library folder, so I redid it correctly, found and deleted the file you mentioned, etc. At this point, I'll use RML until I figure this out.

If you have more suggestions, I'm up for trying them. I have monkeyed w/ iCloud settings, made sure that my default calendar in Calendar Preferences was set correctly....

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Weaselboy, I went through the procedure you outlined twice, carefully. I could post new events in the test calendar with the work account log-in, then I logged in in my account, exported, deleted, re-started Calendar, etc. Bottom line: Still unable to post new event in my account, BUT I can using Remind Me Later app.

I did find that originally I was in the wrong Library folder, so I redid it correctly, found and deleted the file you mentioned, etc. At this point, I'll use RML until I figure this out.

If you have more suggestions, I'm up for trying them. I have monkeyed w/ iCloud settings, made sure that my default calendar in Calendar Preferences was set correctly....

Hmmm... odd. So it works okay from the test account? So it is something different set in your account then.

Try a safe mode boot to your account by holding the shift key when you boot and see if it still does this. A safe mode boot prevents any startup or login items from running and would eliminate that as an issue.

Keukasmallie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 30, 2011
WNY
If/when Apple issues the next Mavericks update, will Calendar be reloaded to my mbp when I update?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
If/when Apple issues the next Mavericks update, will Calendar be reloaded to my mbp when I update?

Do you mean will they be updating the version of Calendar? I have not noticed anything in the beta posts about Calendar changes, but there certainly could be changes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.