Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Redbeard25

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 4, 2003
Stay with me here...

AppleTV: Atom processor, 2GB RAM, 8GB internal storage, OS X heavily skinned, one HDMI out, one Ethernet port, one USB "service" port

Mac mini: i5/i7, 4+GB RAM, 64GB SSD, OS X "normal", one HDMI out, one Ethernet port, one thunderbolt 2 port that breaks out into a port replicator with USB, FW, etc.

This gives them one less interface to worry about on the iOS platform (and, admittedly one more on the OS X platform,) but it gives them a unified "desktop" platform.

I realize this is a bit of a throwback to the first AppleTV.

Thoughts?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
This gives them one less interface to worry about on the iOS platform (and, admittedly one more on the OS X platform,) but it gives them a unified "desktop" platform.

I fail to see this as any sort of benefit to Apple.

El Hikaru

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2013
Mac Mini is a fully functional general purpose personal computer.
It is too much for Apple TV to replace it.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Stay with me here...

AppleTV: Atom processor, 2GB RAM, 8GB internal storage, OS X heavily skinned, one HDMI out, one Ethernet port, one USB "service" port

Mac mini: i5/i7, 4+GB RAM, 64GB SSD, OS X "normal", one HDMI out, one Ethernet port, one thunderbolt 2 port that breaks out into a port replicator with USB, FW, etc.

Thoughts?

Apple already did this with the original AppleTV and it was expensive and sold poorly. The AppleTV now uses Arm processors that are cheaper and designed by Apple. Why would they want to back to depending on Intel for the AppleTV processor?

"Why go out for milk when you have a cow at home..."

riggles

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2013
Yea, when Apple dropped Front Row from OSX and reworked the first AppleTV format, I think that pretty much finalized the separation between Macs and the living room.

If anything, AppleTV will inherit more genes from iOS. But it won't become a Mac.

Crosscreek

macrumors 68030
Nov 19, 2013
Margarittaville
Stay with me here...

Thoughts?

Not

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.