Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shift Option K

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 26, 2013
So I was looking for some brand-new 15" Retinas for a cheaper price than new, and I came across a brand new 2013 2.0GHz/8GB RAM/Iris Graphics/256GB, pretty much the base model, but it had an Applecare Extension and the price was what caught my eye, $1600. From Apple, these would be $1999 and over 2k with an Applecare extension, so this just sounds too good to be true. Should I risk trying to buy it or should I go waste a little bit more and buy a new one? I want to save some money but I don't want a non-retina nor do I want an Air.

UPDATE: There's a 50% chance of this being stolen so I'm not going for it anymore.

Last edited:

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
So I was looking for some brand-new 15" Retinas for a cheaper price than new, and I came across a brand new 2013 2.0GHz/8GB RAM/Iris Graphics/256GB, pretty much the base model, but it had an Applecare Extension and the price was what caught my eye, $1600. From Apple, these would be $1999 and over 2k with an Applecare extension, so this just sounds too good to be true. Should I risk trying to buy it or should I go waste a little bit more and buy a new one? I want to save some money but I don't want a non-retina nor do I want an Air.

If it is on Apple's site as a refurb then you know it is great. If not I would be a little bit weary.

Shift Option K

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 26, 2013
It's listed as brand new and it's on Craigslist. I, therefore, have a feeling it can be a rip off, a scam, or a stolen macbook, or is it completely legit?

simon48

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
It's listed as brand new and it's on Craigslist. I, therefore, have a feeling it can be a rip off, a scam, or a stolen macbook, or is it completely legit?

Obviously, we can't tell you if it's a scam or not for sure. Go check it out, check the specs, if it runs and what condition it's in.

It's not asking you to have it shipped or anything is it? Do you have a link to the post on Craigslist?

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
If the seller is genuine, then he or she should have no problems allowing you to check the serial number if the Mac on Apples product support page...if it comes up clean and registered to its current owner, then it might be worth a shot. If it's not showing up or has never been registered, I think I'd walk away.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010

Apple's refurbs also aren't that bad. It's about $200 more when you figure $100 higher + CA sales tax. If you're concerned about piece of mind, that seems like a more prudent option.

simon48

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
If the seller is genuine, then he or she should have no problems allowing you to check the serial number if the Mac on Apples product support page...if it comes up clean and registered to its current owner, then it might be worth a shot. If it's not showing up or has never been registered, I think I'd walk away.

A lot of people don't register their products, so if it's not registered I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Redskinsfan10

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2014
Lima, Peru

Bought a 2012 sealed i7 2.6 rMBP 15" with extended warranty for 1700 last year. Everything went smooth. Just make sure to meet inside Starbucks or something and also ask for serial number

RMXO

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2009

UPDATE: There's a 50% chance of this being stolen so I'm not going for it anymore.

I see these all the time on CL in my area. Ask to meet up at a Starbucks to find out.

simon48

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
Likewise I'm extremely tempted by ads like this one for $1800 OBO for the same model: http://sacramento.craigslist.org/sys/4328224252.html

But the seller leaves no phone number and can't find the sales receipt and says the unit does not come with Applecare. How is it possible that a new sealed unit is not eligible for Applecare even if it was stolen?

That looks perfectly fine. I'm pretty sure it is eligible for AppleCare, the poster doesn't say it isn't. Who cares if they didn't include their phone number? A lot of people don't like to put their phone number up for privacy reasons, just use Craigslist's built in emailing system like everyone else.

lordboogie

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2012
Could be legit. I was lucky enough to purchase a first-gen rMBP 15 base model out of Best Buy on clearance for about $1600. Clearance... not open box. Also lucky enough to get the Samsung screen and SSD.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Likewise I'm extremely tempted by ads like this one for $1800 OBO for the same model: http://sacramento.craigslist.org/sys/4328224252.html

But the seller leaves no phone number and can't find the sales receipt and says the unit does not come with Applecare. How is it possible that a new sealed unit is not eligible for Applecare even if it was stolen?

My guess is it was a gift and the seller probably wants the cash.

RMXO

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2009
One thing about Apple Care is that sellers either miss uses the term or uses it on purpose to the unknowing . They will say Apple Care even though it really means the 1 year warranty that comes with the laptop.

You have to be careful and ask the seller. Best way to is do a warranty search on the serial number. If the seller is unwilling to give you the number than it isn't worth it.

CL is only safe as you make it. Just do your homework and meet at a public area like Starbucks.

RMXO

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2009

i would offer $1600 while looking at other models on CL. Not sure if you live near Sac or not but there should be other good steals on CL within SF Bay Area.

Helical-dNTP

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2013

Thought I would add that the apple refurb store has the base 15" for $1699. I know it's not brand new and doesn't have the applecare thrown in but it's still a good deal and definitely worth a look. You don't have to worry about shady CL sellers and apple is known for their quality refurbs.

Astroboy907

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2012
Spaceball One
If the seller has images in the listing, use a google image search for them. If nothing comes up, it might not be a scam, but if the images have been posted somewhere else, it's highly likely the seller stole those images and it is a scam.

kathyricks

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2012
there should be other good steals on CL within SF Bay Area.
Some positively wierd and scary ads on craigslist in the SF Bay Area too.
a0b6.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.