Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Droooooj

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 19, 2009
London, UK
I'm thinking of upgrading the HHD in my Mid-2010 15" MacBook Pro, (currently running 10.6.8).

I'm also considering doing a fresh install of Mavericks on this new drive, and trying out Parallels and VMWare Fusion (never used them before).

If the software (or Mavericks) don't meet my needs, I just wanna keep the setup I've currently got, and not upgrade the drive.

So... could I prepare the new drive externally with Mavericks/Parallels? (by putting it in a USB enclosure)? I'd like to try booting from it as an external USB, running it for a bit to see if I like it. This means I won't have the hassle of touching my current setup.

If I do like the new setup, could I then just literally take the Mavericks drive out of the USB enclosure and put it into the Macbook as the main drive?? The reason I ask is in case OSX installs different files depending on if the drive is in a laptop or desktop, or in the above proposal neither (coz it'll be an external drive at time of installation).

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Use disk utility in recovery mode to restore the external disk from the Macintosh HD main drive. Swap the drives and boot from the new drive in recovery mode. Then select a new OS install.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.