Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple may be preparing to introduce an upgraded iPad Air this year and will likely hold off the release of a 12.9-inch "iPad Pro" and a newer iPad mini until next year, KGI Securities Ming-Chi Kuo states in a new research note. The analyst believes that a new iPad Air with an A8 processor and Touch ID fingerprint sensor will be the only new tablet that Apple introduces this year, as the company focuses on shifting its resources from the Retina iPad Mini towards developing the 12.9-inch iPad. Kuo estimates that the larger iPad will debut early next year or late this year with limited supply.

12_9_ipad_macbook_air-800x450.jpg
12.9-inch iPad (left) with 13-inch MacBook Air (right)​
Compared with lower-margin iPad mini with Retina display, which shipments has been tepid, higher-margin iPad Air was a hot selling item in 4Q13, which will slow Apple in developing new iPad mini models. We believe Apple plans to launch upgraded iPad Air early this year, and will accelerate development of 12.9" iPad. As such, more resources will be allocated to these two products, which will affect the progress of the development of new iPad mini. All told, we think chances of the debut of a new iPad mini in 2H14 are slim. In addition, the 12.9" iPad is unlikely to be offered in 2014. For these reasons, we predict the only new iPad product in 2H14 will be the upgraded iPad Air.
In his research note, Kuo also states that the 12.9-inch iPad will act as a driver in allowing developers to create more interactive apps for a bigger screen. However, the analyst notes that Apple has prioritized developing the operating system for the iWatch this year, with plans to release its smart watch in 2014. Kuo also predicts that Apple will restart mass production of the iPad 4 in Q1 2014 as Apple looks to wind down iPad 2 production after a three-year run, which was reported earlier this week. Overall, the analyst predicts the iPad shipments will fall from 34 million units in the 1st half of 2013 to below 30 million units in the first half of 2014.

Kuo shared similar thoughts on the possibility of a 12.9-inch iPad last October, stating that the sixth-generation iPad would contain a 30-40% higher pixel density instead of a bigger screen. Various reports throughout the past couple of months have stated that Apple is targeting a late Q3 2014 launch for the iPad Pro, with some indicating that the device could be aimed toward the enterprise market.

Article Link: Apple Launching Updated iPad Air in 2014, No 12.9-Inch iPad or New iPad Mini Until 2015

Semp1

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2012
NYC
I don't even know why we listen to analysts. They make the same guess you and I would from knowledge on nothing more than reading websites I am sure. Whatever happened to Apple failing in 2014 and the Galaxy S4 selling so greatly. Neither happened. And in my opinion this guy is unreliable and just takes a shot in the dark guesses pretty much all the time. 50% of the time he's right. Which isn't hard. Here I'll make a few guesses. Apple will release the iPhone 6 with a 5 or slightly smaller screen and compete in the phablet market this year with a no bigger than 5.5 inch screen. Also do not expect an "iWatch" this year. Lastly I am thinking there will not be an iPad 4 rerelease considering there is an iPad mini non retina available for $299. There you go more reliable guesses from some one who is not a professional analyst but most likely will be right with more than 75% of them. The iWatch is my most shaky guess.

thedeejay

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2012
Toronto, Canada.
I have an iPad 2, so those 2 things mentioned are what will make me upgrade. Plus it's starting to show it's age. For myself personally TouchID would be welcome. iPad Air 2 here I come!

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
wow an updated iPad Air with Touch ID this year? call me shocked. and those anal...ysts get paid for that?

syavno

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2008
I don't even know why we listen to analysts. They make the same guess you and I would from knowledge on nothing more than reading websites I am sure. Whatever happened to Apple failing in 2014 and the Galaxy S4 selling so greatly. Neither happened. And in my opinion this guy is unreliable and just takes a shot in the dark guesses pretty much all the time. 50% of the time he's right. Which isn't hard. Here I'll make a few guesses. Apple will release the iPhone 6 with a 5 or slightly smaller screen and compete in the phablet market this year with a no bigger than 5.5 inch screen. Also do not expect an "iWatch" this year. Lastly I am thinking there will not be an iPad 4 rerelease considering there is an iPad mini non retina available for $299. There you go more reliable guesses from some one who is not a professional analyst but most likely will be right with more than 75% of them. The iWatch is my most shaky guess.

Actually, Ming-Chi Kuo has a much better track record than most analysts; I would not dismiss this report.

Teste

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2011
I hope we get the iPad Pro next year. It will be more suited to iOS 8, and not to the iOS 8 beta Apple calls iOS 7.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
So Apple spent 2013 getting the larger iPad and iPad mini to basically be nothing more than a size choice and now we're suppose to believe they'll go backwards and let the mini fall behind a generation? How does that make any sense?

----------

Actually, Ming-Chi Kuo has a much better track record than most analysts; I would not dismiss this report.

What does he predict that most of us here haven't predicted ourselves? An updated iPad with A8? Wow, that's really going out on a limb there.

tbrand7

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2013
New York
somehow I doubt there won't be a new iPad Mini this year. Its too much of a hot seller for Apple not to update...

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012

But still, no iPad mini with a processor numb and touch ID is hard to comprehend after Apple managed to make the 2 iPads nothing more than size differences.

EDIT: I see someone earlier had already said this.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
No iPad Pro? Bad news... I'd certainly kill for a larger-screen iPad, assuming it has

- Wacom pen and
- windowed and/or dual-pane (as in Windows (RT) 8) multitasking

----------

somehow I doubt there won't be a new iPad Mini this year. Its too much of a hot seller for Apple not to update...

Exactly. And it's been designed not to last long - read: it only has 1 GBytes of RAM, which is pathetically low for a Retina-screen 64-bit device.

That is, it surely will be updated this year. Apple won't keep such a memory-constrained model on the market for long.

hstewart

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2011
I think the iPad Pro would have a good market - but it probably will be very selected market. I would think it would good for graphics artist, musicians and others. Possible could one day be desktop replacement for people that don't need serious applications.

I would like to see even a bigger iPad Pro - maybe even 20 inch or 27in. But I afraid that current CPU's including the A7 just don't have enough power. I would think that market is better suited for a new touch version of OS X with more power Intel CPU's. Possibly the next generations could have it and still have long batter life.

As for the iPad Mini Retina, it quite nice tablet and yes it is faster than my iPad 2 - but nothing like my Surface Pro is sheer CPU power. I am actually going to be looking for good video editing app - not sure I can get a good on iPad. I love the portability of iPad Mini Retina and screen quality.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
I wants expecting the "iPad pro" this year anyway. I did think that the iPad air would be upgraded. But the iPad mini not being upgraded this year is a bit shocking. I still don't think that will happen because apple wants people to upgrade every year.

barberio

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2009
I start to wonder if the rumours of a 12.9 inch iPad are based on sourcing screens for a 13.x inch Retina MBA with a thin screen bevel.

joeshmo2010

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2009
Seattle, WA
I think the iPad Pro would have a good market - but it probably will be very selected market. I would think it would good for graphics artist, musicians and others. Possible could one day be desktop replacement for people that don't need serious applications.

I would like to see even a bigger iPad Pro - maybe even 20 inch or 27in. But I afraid that current CPU's including the A7 just don't have enough power. I would think that market is better suited for a new touch version of OS X with more power Intel CPU's. Possibly the next generations could have it and still have long batter life.

As for the iPad Mini Retina, it quite nice tablet and yes it is faster than my iPad 2 - but nothing like my Surface Pro is sheer CPU power. I am actually going to be looking for good video editing app - not sure I can get a good on iPad. I love the portability of iPad Mini Retina and screen quality.

You're kidding right? That defeats the whole purpose of a tablet. Sorry but a tablet shouldn't be the same size as a small flat screen television or Thunderbolt Display. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.