Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boltman519

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2011
I have a question on how to best use this.

I have a Mac Mini and a MacBook Air. Obviously I want both to back out on the TC but I also want a central location to store my iPhoto and iTunes libraries. I've seen that you can finagle the device to partition it but is there an easier way to do this?

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Using a single drive for your libraries and backups is bad karma. All mechanical drives...only question is when not if.

Use you TC to generate your wifi network, provide some network IP ports, provide a network USB port, and backup of your Macs. Get a separate drive for your libraries. Make sure the library drive is included the Time Machine backups. You get a desktop 3TB drive for less than $150.

boltman519

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2011
Gotcha.

What are your thoughts on keeping the libraries not he mac mini but pointing my macbook to them as the default library? Thus avoiding having to get a separate drive, at least for the short term. This would ensure they are backed up in the TC. My mini has a 500gb drive and I'm not anywhere near full so I have some time. We would never be accessing the libraries at the same time from the different computers.

thanks!

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
You can plug in an external drive to the USB port of a TC and you've got your 2nd partition in no time.
It will just be painfully slow to do a real editing on a iPhoto library that resides on a network disk. Won't matter much, if you put it on TC internal or external drive - still slow.
However, the iTunes library can freely rest on a USB drive connected to TC.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I've never used my TC for anything other than backups...it's usually backing up 2 Macs, and although I know some folks partition them, it's not really ideal.

If I were the OP, I'd look fir a 2TB USB 3 external or similar....these are cheap now, and I have a WD that I use for storing stuff off Mac. The Time Capsule was never designed for anything other than backups, and I use it for that purpose only.

boltman519

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2011
Thanks. We don't really edit photos so I do'n think that speed of being on an external is an issue. It's just being able to access the entire library from either of the computers. I'll likely then just pick up and external and plug it into TC and house both the iTunes and iPhoto on it and will use the TC for just back ups.

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
It's just being able to access the entire library from either of the computers.
You just need to consider, that neither of these libraries are designed for concurrent access by multiple computers. So you must make sure yourself that the updates are occurringg in a serialized manner. That basically means library access for uptates shall be done in a mutually exclusive manner for the 2 computers.
Read-only access shouldn't theoretically be a problem, although I've never checked if it would work in practice.

Brian33

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
USA (Virginia)
I believe iTunes and iPhoto use some sort of a lock file to try to prevent concurrent access from two machines. However, I could well be wrong. The OP could test this by trying to open the library from two machines (but don't edit or write anything!).

What I really wanted to do was to remind the OP that if he places the libraries on a USB HDD plugged into the Time Capsule, these files will not, and cannot, be backed up by Time Machine. You must make other backups or risk losing them.

Also, the idea of keeping them on the mini but accessing them from the macbook also would work (just be sure to share the disk from the mini). The downside is the mini would have to be turned on when you wanted to access the libraries, but the good part is that TM could back them up normally to the Time Capsule.

boltman519

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2011
I've been playing with it today and when I point to the iPhoto library on my mini it just freezes up after loading so I'm not sure that will work. I can't believe that there isn't a easier way to do this. I can't be the only person that would like to do this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.